Refs Fist Bump After Broncos TD

Oh lord...yep they fixed the game and were fist bumping out on the field to celebrate...please make this crap go away.

The freaking Bills got beat...plain and simple.

I'm not saying that's why the bills lost, I just think its suspicious that refs would fist bump, when have you ever seen that happen?

The refs weren't the reason we lost yesterday, but it was certainly a contributing factor.

Yea, not so sure the fist-bump is what the larger issue is for yesterday's game. I think the larger issues are the ghost call on Graham, albeit likely a wrong number call but still unsure exactly where the penalty occurred. And foremost, the pass interference call on Gilmore. One ref told Gilmore his hit was clean and the other ref simply said it wasn't because he was "too early." Looking back at the tape, the ball has clearly arrived/passed the receiver's catch zone and is eligible for a licking courtesy of Gilmore. He handled the call well which was nice, but I am absolutely done with the flagging of any physical play. The ref threw the flag after seeing the hit and scrambled for an excuse of reason. Poor officiating is one thing, but when the abhorrent performance by the officials leads to critical momentum shifts and loss of critical plays, it begins to affect the outcome of the game.

Plain and simple, the ref's job is to officiate and keep the game within boundaries - not actively shape the outcome.

Edited by ctk232

I dont know if it is already being discussed, but this is just crazy. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse!

http://sports.yahoo....-043206729.html

I think they may hvae been congratulating each other for the good communication or simultaneous call as the article alludes to. I can believe it was not a conspiracy that they were celebrating the success of.

Problem in my eyes is that the refs have to maintain an image much like everyone else on the field. They need to be totally emotionless and especially in a situation like this (a TD), they have to be aware that cameras and eyes will be on them totally. They should not have done anything but signal the TD.

Oh lord...yep they fixed the game and were fist bumping out on the field to celebrate...please make this crap go away.

The freaking Bills got beat...plain and simple.

Normally, I'd be in complete agreement with you. But I gotta say, the fix looked in yesterday. The calls on Robey and Gilmore were simply atrocious and had huge impacts.

Normally, I'd be in complete agreement with you. But I gotta say, the fix looked in yesterday. The calls on Robey and Gilmore were simply atrocious and had huge impacts.

the one on gilmore was declined.

theres talk the other was simply called on the wrong number.

I think they may hvae been congratulating each other for the good communication or simultaneous call as the article alludes to. I can believe it was not a conspiracy that they were celebrating the success of.

Problem in my eyes is that the refs have to maintain an image much like everyone else on the field. They need to be totally emotionless and especially in a situation like this (a TD), they have to be aware that cameras and eyes will be on them totally. They should not have done anything but signal the TD.

I'm with you. Coworkers fist bumping for a job well done, no big deal. Except, you know, when you're supposed to be perfectly impartial and millions of eyes are watching you. It just looks bad.

Robey sounds lie the wrong number called, and Gilmore was early. The two flags on the returns i have no idea...Hughes has a rep now...4 calls like that is not coincidence...its a trend.

Urbik mauled the guy on the hold.

That's what I assume, but seeing how everyone was up and arms about the refs since the game finished I thought I would post this article.

That's what I assume, but seeing how everyone was up and arms about the refs since the game finished I thought I would post this article.

with quotes about how you didnt think it could be crazier, you certainly gave the impression that you thought the secret was finally cracked.

It was declined because they ended up getting a PF call too (based as far as I understand on Hughes' reaction to the call). You can't accept 2 penalties on a play.

we dont know yet what hughes did or what set him off. its also hard to say the gilmore penalty was a huge impact on the game, when it was declined.

with quotes about how you didnt think it could be crazier, you certainly gave the impression that you thought the secret was finally cracked.

So you don't see two refs fist bumping after a bunch of bad calls Crazy? I said it was crazy ( and it is!), I didn't say that this was because they were paying the refs.

Edited by Braedenstearns

I didn't say that this was because they were paying the refs.

I just think its suspicious that refs would fist bump

then what were you suspicious of?

it just seems overwhelmingly simple to assume that this was coworkers happy about a successful call, not celebrating a bronco td

Edited by NoSaint

The refs weren't the reason we lost yesterday, but it was certainly a contributing factor.

Yea, not so sure the fist-bump is what the larger issue is for yesterday's game. I think the larger issues are the ghost call on Graham, albeit likely a wrong number call but still unsure exactly where the penalty occurred. And foremost, the pass interference call on Gilmore. One ref told Gilmore his hit was clean and the other ref simply said it wasn't because he was "too early." Looking back at the tape, the ball has clearly arrived/passed the receiver's catch zone and is eligible for a licking courtesy of Gilmore. He handled the call well which was nice, but I am absolutely done with the flagging of any physical play. The ref threw the flag after seeing the hit and scrambled for an excuse of reason. Poor officiating is one thing, but when the abhorrent performance by the officials leads to critical momentum shifts and loss of critical plays, it begins to affect the outcome of the game.

Plain and simple, the ref's job is to officiate and keep the game within boundaries - not actively shape the outcome.

Exactly. The Bills lost for a number of reasons yesterday. Orton was terrible for 3 quarters. Aaron Williams whiffed on a backfield tackle that led to a long gain, which ultimately led to a TD. The defense eased up in the redzone. The offense was incapable of moving the ball quickly late in the game. The team did indeed commit way too many penalties -- and was unable to overcome those penalties.

And -- yes -- the officiating was incredibly one-sided. I can't wait to see the All-22 angles to determine whether or not the holding calls on the INT-returns were legitimate. If they were not, then that is a minimum of 6 points that the offense would have scored that was directly forfeited by field position. We know that the well-documented questionable penalties against the secondary provided the Broncos with their first 14 points, which likely would have been 6 without those penalties.

There was a missed (and obvious) hold on one of the Broncos long runs that set up a TD.

Was I the only one who saw the defender tackle our punter on what what went down as a "shank" after a poor snap?

How about the defender who head-butted a helmetless Lee Smith? That should have been a 15 yarder, automatic first down and possibly and ejection. And it happened right in front of the officials! They sure didn't miss Pears foolish late hit after the whistle later in the game.

What was the actual call on Gilmore on that play? Was it pass interference, or unnecessary roughness?

I think the officiating yesterday was pretty awful, but I am not reading anything into this silly "fist-bump" thing.

I did get the sense, a few times yesterday, that the official who was doing all the talking on the calls, didn't even believe what he was saying...almost an apologetic look in his eyes as he explained the infractions.

Incidentally, from what I understand (didn't see it for myself) the Browns got jacked on a bad PI call which, in effect, sealed a win for the Colts yesterday...it is all around.

I don't get the whole NFL illuminati conspiracy with this. I believe the ref who made the call was an NFL rookie. The other official was congratulating him, most likely, on being in the right position and making (what he believed to be) a good call. Unprofessional, maybe. Proof that they let the Broncos win, Not at all.

then what were you suspicious of?

it just seems overwhelmingly simple to assume that this was coworkers happy about a successful call, not celebrating a bronco td

I was trying to give it like a conspiracy feel! Just to get everyone going, seeing some people have been saying how the refs play a part in the loss. Apparently sarcasm is a crime here!

What was the actual call on Gilmore on that play? Was it pass interference, or unnecessary roughness?

it was PI - the announcers had it wrong. and as a PI call, i just rewatched the highlight and it looked like gilmore was early. if he wasnt it was close enough that im not offended by the call at all.

I'm not saying that's why the bills lost, I just think its suspicious that refs would fist bump, when have you ever seen that happen?

Co-workers fist bumping after collaborating on work and their satisfaction that they got the call right with all important information considered.

Makes sense right?

You honestly think it could be different?

Damn, they are professional refs. I do not think they world be do stupid to be fist bumping b/c they are happy Denver scored.

Edited by TDRupp

NFL officiating is absolutely terrible. I don't think the fix is in, I think it's simple incompetence.

Made up my mind after yesterday's Bills game: I'll watch the Super Bowl because the party I go to is awesome, but otherwise, if the Bills aren't playing, I won't sit and watch an NFL game.

I still don't know who won the Bolts-Pats game. And honestly, I don't really care.

it was PI - the announcers had it wrong. and as a PI call, i just rewatched the highlight and it looked like gilmore was early. if he wasnt it was close enough that im not offended by the call at all.

Agree Saint...i thought it was early yesterday as well.

Someone brought up the punt, at first thought that was roughing as well, but it was clean.

Only two calls i have questions on are on the INT returns...sure will see them when the all 22 comes out