Offense almost unwatchable....

Interesting perspective. There's no reasonable argument that Rodgers out-QB'd Brady yesterday. I especially like the little grin Rodgers puts on when he runs successfully.

My perception watching the game was that Brady was being pressured on almost every throw. Just looking at the box score, there's not a strong case. They only actually sacked Brady once (though it was key). His completion percentage was a few lower than his average, which usually takes consistent pressure to achieve. Guess I'd have to go back and watch the game again - or find a site that scores QB pressures or something. GB certainly didn't neutralize Brady, for any other QB against any other team he had a good day. But I think they did make him pay for it more than other teams do.

And I think they'd eat EJ alive with their stunting and changed-up looks.

Brady was certainly under more pressure than he usually is. But, his WRs and TE get a lot of separation which is maddening to watch in a 'how are they consistently so open" sorta way.

What was different yesterday was that Rodgers was on fire. He was matching aggression with equal or more aggression and did not give the Pats* the luxury of sitting back and toying with the opponent's defense. Fire with fire works and there are only a few QBs who can stand unfazed by a quick strike TD drive and follow up with a scoring drive of their own. It was a great game to watch, not just because the Pats* lost but it was a good duel and fun to watch two pretty equally matched teams.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I'm trying to make is that the professional defensive coordinators are a step ahead of Hackett and Marrone. It's not a simple ratio of how many times they pass vs run. It's all about the game plan and personnel groupings.

Of course I don't expect the Bills to run into a brick wall of 8 men stacked in the box. But I also want the OC to be a little more inventive in his design than to run Sammy and Woods wide, with Hogan in the slot. That is the stock Bills formation for the pass. Watch the first couple of series yesterday. It's infuriating. There are many ways to use the pass to take the pressure of a stacked line. But not pass plays that take way too long to set up.

It's also changing your personnel groupings. You won't win too many games with the Bills offensive play design. You don't trot Goodwin for his token fly route. You don't bury Big Mike in the inactive list. You won't win by having Hogan as the No. 3 ahead of Williams and Goodwin. Or if you have him as No. 3, you also have the other guys on the field.

Bills offense goes into a game with one hand tied behind its back because Hackett & Marrone don't utilize their players to their best abilities and in the process play right into the hands of professionals.

And the point I've been making all along is that with Orton/Lewis/Manuel/Tuel at quarterback and with the OL in its present form, there aren't a whole lot of strengths to play to.

This. No better indictment of Hack-it Challenge than those stats right there. I lost my voice screaming at the TV.

There were a lot of times they only had 5 or 6 in the box, then Nate Hackett would motion Woods of Hogan INTO the formation to bring another defender into the box (are you f'ing kidding me Nate?). Hack-It creating one of those challenges he likes so much.

A lot of times? Gee, I sure hope the tape doesn't show you're lying/exaggerating as I suspect you are.

If our defense played our offense for 60 minutes of football I think our defense would at least tie if not flat out win.

Haha...that's sad, yet quite funny

Honestly though, if I can guess pre-snap whether it's going to be a run or pass and be right 9 out of 10 times, how hard could it be for the group of professionals they are going up against?

And the point I've been making all along is that with Orton/Lewis/Manuel/Tuel at quarterback and with the OL in its present form, there aren't a whole lot of strengths to play to.

And it's virtually the same OL that looked ok two years ago, And to lather, rinse & repeat, if those are the QBs you're dealt with, would you be looking to design an offense that minimizes failure by those guys? I thought Hackett did a decent job last year trying to bring EJ along and had a good game plan for Tuel's KC outing. This year, however has been an abomination.

To see Brady in a Bills uniform would..... *(deep sigh) -Whew, lemme take a scond here..... (another deep sigh)... Oh man.... Let's just say.... No.

Ya, who would want possibly the best qb ever to come here. No thanks. We're good with ej fitzortwards.

You can keep making the point all you want; however, I believe a truly good OC could take the same talent and put a better product on the field. Hell, two years ago the offense under Gaily was statistically better in almost every category than this team - with, arguably, less talent.

And it's virtually the same OL that looked ok two years ago, And to lather, rinse & repeat, if those are the QBs you're dealt with, would you be looking to design an offense that minimizes failure by those guys? I thought Hackett did a decent job last year trying to bring EJ along and had a good game plan for Tuel's KC outing. This year, however has been an abomination.

Virtually the same? You mean minus Andy Levitre, Pears playing out of position and a seventh round rookie at RT?

I feel like "virtually the same" is a convenient stretch.

You can keep making the point all you want; however, I believe a truly good OC could take the same talent and put a better product on the field. Hell, two years ago the offense under Gaily was statistically better in almost every category than this team - with, arguably, less talent.

This a myth.

Seriously, look it up.

In Gailey's best statistical year (2011), after the bye week, once the wheels fell off, the team averaged a whopping 18.4 ppg.

Compare that to the 22 (albeit still not impressive) we're scoring now.

Edited by The Big Cat

To me the play calling is one issue, but even more fundamental is the whole design of the offense and plays themselves. There's rarely any motion, or misdirection (I'm not talking about a double reverse flea flicker - just a simple counter play for god's sake). How many times do you see other teams in third and short just complete that short slant over the middle, like candy from a baby. Or just fake a simple handoff with the play streaming one way, then hit someone on the other side. We rarely (if ever) see any of this. The design of so many plays are so unimaginative and sometimes counterintuitive even. Examples from yesterday that have been mentioned - motioning a receiver to the side of the field you are trying to 'isolate' another receiver on? Having a WR go in motion only to stop at the line to block for a running play (and bring the person covering him into the box)? WTF? These go beyond stupid gameplanning or playcalling, rather it's a stupid play (created/installed by the OC) to begin with.

And these simple quick hitting plays do not require All-pro QB or RG to execute. The third and short fails kill me the most. People want to blame Pears - but if he is so bad don't friggin run over him! If the whole OL is incapable of ever getting a single yard when you need it with the plays you are running, figure out a way to do something different to help push the pile and get a friggin yard.

Agree with this and also, the personnel packages don't seem to match the situation or play. Fred Jackson is not a third or fourth and short back. How many times have we seen him fail to get the first down in these situations. That's what you have Boobie Dixon and Summers for. Fred and Bryce Brown are good choices if you are going to run on first or second down, but once it gets to third and short, you have got to have Dixon and/or Summers in the game.

It's arguable?

That's impossible with our current QBs and OL. What don't you understand? Hacketts offense can't replicate what chan was able to do because our QB and OL are much worse than Chans. WRs included.

That's impossible with our current QBs and OL. What don't you understand? Hacketts offense can't replicate what chan was able to do because our QB and OL are much worse than Chans. WRs included.

Right, we have some better receivers now. May be that's why the offense has performed better than it ever did with Chan here.