Offense almost unwatchable....

And yet, at halftime, Fred had 5 carries and Orton had 18 pass attempts... Vs the browns and their 29th ranked run defense, 8th ranked pass D.. Nice gameplan fellas. Attack their strength. Same shiite, different day. Wake up Nate.

I don't understand how anyone can argue with this, especially since it has become a real pattern.

If you have Tom Brady, by all means "do what you do" until they can stop you. But we don't, and Big Cat is admitting as much.

I am glad Orton came on in the second half, but it is really a problem to leave points on the board this often.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition, the OL is not doing much for opening holes in the run game. Maybe a few reverses, sweeps would help keep the opposing defenses honest . But the first half yesterday was brutal. I was sitting smirking all the time watching the overall ineptitude of the O and the lack of accuracy on Orton's part. In fact, I was wondering if Orton is adding something meaningful than what EJ was doing. It is ofcourse up for debate (not that it hasn't a million times already) but I think the team has to treat Orton as if he is a rookie - play great defense and let Orton make enough plays to keep the game competitive.

Wait, let me get this straight - your user name says "Fan" and you're "smirking" at the ineptitude of your team's offense?

Does..not...compute.

I don't understand how anyone can argue with this, especially since it has become a real pattern.

If you have Tom Brady, by all means "do what you do" until they can stop you. But we don't, and Big Cat is admitting as much.

I am glad Orton came on in the second half, but it is really a problem to leave points on the board this often.

I have no problem questioning the ratio. I'm willing to bet that once the all-22's come out, we'll see 10 Browns defenders in the box the whole time, though.

And if we don't, fine, poor game plan.

But if we do, I won't expect anyone to say "oh, gee, ya know, may be the professional defenses on the other side of the ball are forcing us to pass to win and if we can't do that, then...gee...I don't know, may be it's because our QB sucks and not because the OC doesn't have a clue."

I hear on WGR this am that Murphy is still blaming the QB for Hackett's failure. How many QBs has he had to succeed with? Well, Murph listed about six and said they all stink. It couldn't be the common denominator could it, John?

Well, considering two of our 2013 starters are struggling to stay on professional rosters right now, and the third is a presently a backup to...KYLE !@#$ING ORTON.

Let me play the same game that the playcallers do: do you think Orton is good?

I have no problem questioning the ratio. I'm willing to bet that once the all-22's come out, we'll see 10 Browns defenders in the box the whole time, though.

And if we don't, fine, poor game plan.

But if we do, I won't expect anyone to say "oh, gee, ya know, may be the professional defenses on the other side of the ball are forcing us to pass to win and if we can't do that, then...gee...I don't know, may be it's because our QB sucks and not because the OC doesn't have a clue."

I'll be interested to see this, because Pettine never struck me last season as a guy who sells out to stop the run.

I truly believe that given this qb situation, tbere is only so much you can reasonably expect. That said, Hackett is like the Dave Wannstedt of OC's. A change to a competent OC who knows how to use the talent he has at hand, and not scheme as if all his players were equal in talent, would have this team in the playoffs. It would be like going from Wannstedt to Pettine.

BINGO. + 1 Absolutely correct and SPOT ON. It's amazing to me more aren't of this opinion. And, they invested so heavily in this O and are getting even less in return, IMO.

I'll be interested to see this, because Pettine never struck me last season as a guy who sells out to stop the run.

and you know what happened when he did in the 4th quarter? we had a 10 play 5 minute drive with a big gaining play action pass. if we were willing to grind it out all day, i think we would have been in good shape. i do not think we wouldve been shut out in the first half. power running, some screens and take what they give you passes to stay on schedule, with the occasional deep ball wouldve been the seemingly obvious formula.

Right, because the O is supposed to score 40+ and rack up 500 yards of offense each and every week. Man, if they did that, they would be 12-0, but they are only 7-5, what's wrong with them, they should know that. But just totally ignore and forget the fact that their opponents defenses have been pretty good and doing all they can to stop the Bills O. Who knew the opposing defense was just supposed to lay down and let the Bills O do what ever they wanted.

[begin_Sarcasm]

Well, Hey, Shaun Hill and Ryan Fitzpatrick laid those points down yesterday....since it's widely known here they suck, How Hard Can It Be?

[End_Sarcasm}

Straight dope part of post:

Nice straw man, dude. We all know it's relatively rare for a team to rack up more than 40 points. We also all know there's plenty of room in between converting on 2 of 15 3rd downs - TWO of FIFTEEN, 13% efficiency - like we did yesterday - or only achieving 13 1st downs in a game - like we did two weeks ago when we got whipped by the Gawd-Da**-Marine-Mammals.

I'm thrilled we won and all that, and I understand Kyle Orton ain't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, but we're riding our D here. I'd like to see basic competence on offense, however it rolls. Convert 3rd downs, stay on the field, man! And when you're down in the RedZone, SCORE!

and you know what happened when he did in the 4th quarter? we had a 10 play 5 minute drive with a big gaining play action pass. if we were willing to grind it out all day, i think we would have been in good shape. i do not think we wouldve been shut out in the first half. power running, some screens and take what they give you passes to stay on schedule, with the occasional deep ball wouldve been the seemingly obvious formula.

This point is huge.

When you commit to the run (which we should do since we all agree that Orton is, well Orton), you eventually wear down the defense, and even when they stack 8 in the box, it's not necessarily going to be a deterrent. It's not an overly complicated formula to success, but it WILL work if your defense is constantly holding opponents to 3 points at half.

I can't believe nobody's brought this up yet.

Hackett has Orton producing right where he should be: bottom 10. Therefore Hackett sucks.

Let's just cut to the chase. As the QB goes, so to does this fan base's perception of the OC. And yesterday Orton was AWFUL.

Finally!!! Someone with common sense. I will add there will be problems with having a rookie 7th rd pick at RT and a converted crappy RT playing RG. Also, losing our FA pickup at LG to injury doesn't help. If that wasn't bad enough, we lost CJ Spiller and Freddy for a few games. If I recall Bryce Brown's fumble heading into the end zone essentially lost a game for us. Add to that Orton is a Journey man at best, but yea, it's all on Hacket.

This point is huge.

When you commit to the run (which we should do since we all agree that Orton is, well Orton), you eventually wear down the defense, and even when they stack 8 in the box, it's not necessarily going to be a deterrent. It's not an overly complicated formula to success, but it WILL work if your defense is constantly holding opponents to 3 points at half.

particularly against a team that hasnt been good against the run. if it were a dominant run stopper up front, then sure, lets take some extra shots early to stretch the field. yesterday wasnt that day though.

He's about average, imo.

Good sometimes, bad sometimes. Good in some stats, bad in some stats.

How many week 13 starters would you rather have?

Here's the list, the ones I'd take in bold.

Tom Brady (1)

Ryan Tannehill (2)

Geno Smith

Andy Dalton (3)

Joe Flacco (4)

Ben R. (5)

Brian Hoyer

Andrew Luck (6)

Ryan Fitz (7)

Blake Bortles

Metternburger

P Manning (8)

Rivers (9)

A. Smith (10)

Derek Carr

Mark Sanchez

Tony Romo (11)

Eli Manning (12)

Colt McCoy

Aaron Rodgers (13)

Matt Stafford (14)

Jay Cutler

T. Bridgewater

Drew Brees (15)

Matt Ryan (16)

Cam Newton (17)

Josh McCown

Drew Stanton

Russel Wilson (18)

Colin K. (19)

Shaun Hill

Yes, I put Fitz on that list. But as far as omissions go, it's not like Orton is substantially better than Sanchez, Bortlers, Cutler and Carr.

So I'd put him around the 20th best QB in the league, which is below average.

I'm ready to see what EJ has learned over the past eight weeks.

Hopefully you mean you want to read an interview where he states what he has learned. I don't want to SEE it in the middle of a playoff run. Once we are out of the running, sure.