Doomed? Pettine knows we are going to run up the middle

YoloinOhio

I never count on much for our offense anyways. When we score tds, I get pleasantly surprised.

This is going to be an ugly low scoring game.

No it isn't. The Browns are frauds. They don't deserve to be in the playoff picture. Bills will roll right over them. Also, the Bills offense has consistently been getting many offensive players involved in the game and the Browns defense is only ranked 20th. This about the weakest defense Buffalo has faced. Many don't realize that the Browns have been winning on the strength of their offense and the defense has been giving up a lot of yardage.

This Cleveland team lost to Jacksonville right?

Yes. Jacksonville has a pass rush.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bills fans have severely overrated our offensive talent.

I agree the Offense is our Achilles Heel, but not because of playcalling. If anything they have over achieved.

The play calling, O-line and QB are the reason we have sucked on Offense. We have numerous run formations and then.....we run the ball right up the gut. Run out of a spread formation and let them pick a hole. Could you imagine what we could gain with a competent coordinator.

Oh no, Pettine knows we are going to run up the middle. Luckily for us Pettine cannot stop the run up the middle. He couldn't do it in Buffalo, and he can't do it in Cleveland.

My fear is that we won't take advantage of that poor run defense.

It does not seem that we really have that many special plays or gimmicks that Pettine would not easily see from just viewing the regular scouting video like every team uses. He might know a little about individual tendancies after being with the team for a year. Knowing about FJ might help, but the other RBs are different, he probably knows Woods, but the other WRs not so much. With the Ol being such a mess, other than staying away from the left tackle, what is there to know against the OL? There are a lot of different faces on offense.

I would be more concerned about his inimate knowledge of the D players than of the offense. He may have enough info to help counter our defensive side, but not the offensive side.

I ask this of the game pros out there. Other than abandoning the hurry up from last year, does our offensive game plan really appear to differ that much from the 2nd half of last season, other than the players filling the roles in it? I'm really asking the question, not making a statement.

It does not seem that we really have that many special plays or gimmicks that Pettine would not easily see from just viewing the regular scouting video like every team uses. He might know a little about individual tendancies after being with the team for a year. Knowing about FJ might help, but the other RBs are different, he probably knows Woods, but the other WRs not so much. With the Ol being such a mess, other than staying away from the left tackle, what is there to know against the OL? There are a lot of different faces on offense.

I would be more concerned about his inimate knowledge of the D players than of the offense. He may have enough info to help counter our defensive side, but not the offensive side.

I ask this of the game pros out there. Other than abandoning the hurry up from last year, does our offensive game plan really appear to differ that much from the 2nd half of last season, other than the players filling the roles in it? I'm really asking the question, not making a statement.

I have been saying for a few weeks now that the OL has been improving. Seems everyone is assuming that just because the OL was stinking it up early in the season that they are doomed to remain that way. Orton has been staying upright of late and the run game is starting to get rolling. If you think that the run game hasn't improved check the difference between the last 2 Jets games. Huge improvement. Another thing that is very promising is seeing how Orton is getting the ball to many of our weapons. When you see players like Chandler, Hogan, and our RBs making plays you know things are looking up. It is awesome when our top stars like Fred, Sammy and Woods have big days, but when a bunch of other guys are making plays too, the whole offense starts to look real sharp.

As for Pettine, his aggressiveness tends to lead to turnovers. That does not make his defensive philosophy perfect though. He is just as likely to get burned for being overly aggressive. That is why Cleveland is among the worst at stopping the run. Remember, Cleveland is only ranked 20th in the NFL. Some of it is scheme. Some of it is just talent. We are making too much out of Cleveland's defense under Pettine. Plus, Buffalo hasn't faced a defense ranked this low all season.

If I was Marrone, I would instruct Orton to do the opposite of whatever play Hackett calls in. Maybe that will catch Pettine off guard.

:lol: All Buffalo has to do is mix things up on offense. Pettine likes to be aggressive. He can't guess every play. Sooner or later he is going to guess wrong.

I would have loved to have sat in on that meeting when Hackett installed the offense to Pettine. It probably lasted 5 minutes.

More like 20 seconds...

This game is tough for me to get a handle on because I don't know which Buffalo team is going to show up for this game. The Browns are #8 against the pass, 31st in the NFL against the run so I expect the Bills to come out passing like they have almost all year.

Cleveland has only allowed 18 sacks all year so I don't expect the Bills defense to win the game like they did against the Jets

More like 20 seconds...

This game is tough for me to get a handle on because I don't know which Buffalo team is going to show up for this game. The Browns are #8 against the pass, 31st in the NFL against the run so I expect the Bills to come out passing like they have almost all year.

Cleveland has only allowed 18 sacks all year so I don't expect the Bills defense to win the game like they did against the Jets

they have only allowed 18 sacks because they haven't played a top 10 defense once. They have played 7 of the bottom 10 defenses in the league.

i also think that our offense played 9 of 11 games against defenses in the top half of the league. If we played the defenses the Browbs have faced, the numbers would be different IMO.

i also think that our offense played 9 of 11 games against defenses in the top half of the league. If we played the defenses the Browbs have faced, the numbers would be different IMO.

Yolo, I typically like your opinions so I just looked up cleveland's opponenets.

Opponent's Defense

Losses

Steelers 13th

Ravens 15th

Jaguars 30th

Texans 29th

Wins

Saints 27th

Titans 28th

Steelers 13th

Raiders 17th

Bucs 22nd

Bengals 24th

Falcons 32nd

So this leads me to believe their Offensive rank of 10th, and Defensive rank of 21st are skewed. We have played a tougher schedule, played better defenses Dolphins - 5th, Jets - 7th, Chiefs- 8th, Chargers- 9th, Vikings-12th, Patriots- 14th, and the Texans- 29th. That's only 1 team with a defense in the bottom half.

We're going to shock Pettine with this punishing defense. He doesn't know us as a 4-3 wide 9 defense. There is a reason why the Browns are 29th against the run, and we were 28th against the run last year. That's Pettine's defensive achilles heel. We have to stick with the run all day as much as possible.

I can't wait to 1 pm.

Yolo, I typically like your opinions so I just looked up cleveland's opponenets.

Opponent's Defense

Losses

Steelers 13th

Ravens 15th

Jaguars 30th

Texans 29th

Wins

Saints 27th

Titans 28th

Steelers 13th

Raiders 17th

Bucs 22nd

Bengals 24th

Falcons 32nd

So this leads me to believe their Offensive rank of 10th, and Defensive rank of 21st are skewed. We have played a tougher schedule, played better defenses Dolphins - 5th, Jets - 7th, Chiefs- 8th, Chargers- 9th, Vikings-12th, Patriots- 14th, and the Texans- 29th. That's only 1 team with a defense in the bottom half.

We're going to shock Pettine with this punishing defense. He doesn't know us as a 4-3 wide 9 defense. There is a reason why the Browns are 29th against the run, and we were 28th against the run last year. That's Pettine's defensive achilles heel. We have to stick with the run all day as much as possible.

I can't wait to 1 pm.

Yes - 7 of their games have been against teams in the BOTTOM 10 in D.

Wow, that's interesting. The wild card, however, is Josh Gordon...

Gordon scares me sh!tless. This guy can flat out play. He is big, physical, fast, and almost always seems open. As much as Gordon scares me, I think that Gilmore will keep him at bay today. Look for Gilmore to have one of his best games as a pro. Gordon can't do it by himself, Hoyer can't throw the ball to Gordon from his back, which is where I fully expect him to be for a good portion of the day, Cameron is out, and i don't expect them to run with much success against us.