GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

Is there a way we could send letters thanking Darryl for his time with the Bills? Nothing referencing his current problems, which we can probably agree would make him uncomfortable, but just some positive notes sending him some love? I think that could go hand in hand with the gofundme campaign.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my fav Bills from the SB years. The guy sacrificed his body for this team and city. I find it outrageous that the NFL would not honour his disability claim for such petty reasons esp after so many vets have deteriorated in health in their later years. Some of comments on here are also sickening "I can't have it so why should he" BS. Yeah he led great life when he was a player but would you trade your life for his right now????

Not sure. Why don't we ask junior seau and Chris Benoit what they think.

It's the brain. There is nothing more serious. The guy can't even sleep for more than 90 minutes. When he played, these side effects were not known. They were also not nearly paid as well as today's athlete.

The position of not giving due to having your own issues is totally respectable.

It's a horrifying, not previously known existence of one of our favorite athletes in buffalo history. The opinion on him is nearly unanimous in buffalo. I dont think a fundraiser is in bad form at all.

The guy gave so much for our team and was such a joy to watch. How can you not want to help? I always loved Darryl Talley and I can't imagine a better teammate. I had no idea he was suffering like this and thanks to Tim Graham for making this public. I hope things somehow get better for him...to hear about one of the Bills from that era struggling really hurts.

PS: I will be surprised if the Pegulas do not come forward. And disappointed.

I agree. I think the Pegula's will reach out to him, BUT it won't be something we hear about publically. Being owners in the league they have responsibilities to the league. That's the cost of doing business. However, if the way they treat Sabres alumni is any indication, they won't leave D. Talley hanging. I think they could help him, but other individuals or "foundations" would be the front for it.

Darryl Talley was a great Buffalo Bill. He repped the organization, and even moreso the city with everything he had to give. And I know I was one of thousands of fans who never wanted to see him miss a game or stay out of game for long if he got dinged up. And he rarely, if ever, did. His own pride, will and our encouragement and desire sparked him on. I wasn't thinking about what that would mean to his health once he retired, as I'm sure he wasn't. Who knew of CTE back then? He wanted to win for himself, the organization and us, the fans. If you have even an extra $1 to spare that will help. I really believe this is a case of no amount is too small. For example, If everyone at the Ralph gave $1 this Sunday that is $73,000. I'm sure that would be helpful to his situation. I love Bruce, Thurman, Biscuit helping him out, but who's to say they can keep sparing that money. They probably have health issues too.

If you feel so led to help, in whatever amount, please do.

Did you read the piece? He only has medical insurance because Bruce Smith subsidizes it.

People just want to help the guy out. I hope you have friends and family that will help you out when the time comes, and not say "I have my own problems".

Yea That's true. Think of how many former employees of Bethlehem Steel,auto workers, chemical any plant worker, etc. from WNY that got nothing but corporate lawyers fighting them when they were dying from all sorts of work related illness. Meanwhile their employers left for greener pastures.

IMO People that can help out should prioritize who can best use their money and which causes they can donate too.

Talley Seems to need medical care more than checks. he's a very nice guy and met him at games after he retired, I wish him the best. Just like anyone with major work related illness. It's not an easy life.

50K a year leaves money for health insurance that I know. How sending him cash makes one wonder what would be done with it? Buying medical care is the way to go with chartiable donations of this type.

I agree. Worked all my life and my wife worked all her life and our combined monthly ss benefits are less than his and we made less money in our lifetime than he did. So while I feel very sorry for his current medical situation, there's very little I can do to help in that regard. I also don't think it makes sense for someone to give money to someone who is better off financially than they are.

I respect your opinion. However, good health is everything. Worth more than money. With Darryl's health issues whatever money he has can be quickly eaten up. I think it makes sense to help if one feels so led, whatever their individual circumstances might or might not be. As I said before, a person can give $1 and that can have a tremendous impact. No one is saying people have to give anything or give any specific amount. There will be those who feel led to. And that makes sense for them.

Edited by purple haze

I always wish to help a brother out. Money is not always the answer. Thats true enough.

But i am always willing to help. I've had no easy life either. But i dont compare myself to anyone either

Because I dont know what a man has gone through without walking in his shoes. But i can sense pain and anguish from a mile away.

And Buffaloed I care about you to. I really do.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Today i am glad for all i have. And because i have enough goodness in my life.

I can afford to try to help another.

By donating i was just saying

Darryl Talley ,

I care about you.

If i saw him after reading the article i would walk up to him and hug him.'

then i would donate anyway.

It really is about Circling the wagons for our Spiderman. That's all it's about. We did it for Jim Kelly and we will do it again. Because thats who we are .

Just saw on Twitter that this fund raised 17k already? I assume it is the same one? Unbelievable. I knew Bills fans were the best in the league. But this past week has really shown how dedicated, supportive and first class they are. What an amazing story. Prayers for the Talley family because whatever the financial piece is worth, the bottom line is his life is teetering.

A fund for someone who got his brains beat out so you could watch games for free on television and criticize his ass when he missed a tackle or didn't do what you're sure you would have done if only you were out there...

YES, INDEED

This is an interesting thread. Some very thought-provoking opinions. I can see both sides to this one, but ultimately I think this is the best post on here so far and reflects how I feel about it.

Please dont be disappointed...the league is in the middle of a massive lawsuit, and prolly still open to huge liabilities.

I dunno, but i think them helping out Talley prolly sets a precedent they do not want to set...

I can see a foundation they run or something like that helping out, but i just cannot see the Pegulas personally, or acting on behalf of the Bills doing anything publicly here.

The Ralph Wilson Foundation is best organization to help him out.

I know the fund was for Detroit and Buffalo but Buffalo players with issues should qualify.

It's over 20K now.

I just donated $40, $5 dollars for every missed tackle in SuperBowl XXV

Should do it for every cheap shot you do. It would cost you millions however.

I just hope all of this is genuine.

I doubt Talley could have envisioned his interview for a newspaper article would have led to fund being created for him. However, concussions are obviously a hot topic of conversation these days, and it seems like there has to be something in it for both Graham and Talley for putting this out into the open. Is this a cry for help? A release of frustraton towards the Bills organization for percieved miss-treatment? A push by Graham to get national attention as a writer?

Who knows.

All I know is that if Talley is in trouble I hope he gets the help he needs and turns his life around after this.