The Snow Gods have spoken, Build a Dome Stadium

HOUSE

I am in agreement that clearing a stadium is not a big deal if you have enough people. 10 bucks an hour and free tix is way cheaper.

I understand that getting there is a problem... But roads will be open by Saturday. Enough people, even with 7 feet, it won't take that long.

Take care! Hang in there

I am sounding selfish, but DET or Cleveland would be cool! Blush...

Open and able to handle the traffic are two different things. As of last night the roads were clear, but they were mostly covered in thick ice and they just can't handle a lot of traffic right now. I've lived in the Southtowns for 35 years, and I have never seen anything like this. Having been to nearly every game since 1990, I can also add this. I have no idea whatsoever what the Bills and the County are going to do about the snow in the parking lot. There is just no place to put it. And even if they pile it up, it reduces available spaces. With satellite lots largely closed for next week, I don't see how the Bills can park a normal volume of cars here. I'm as big a Bills supporter as there is, a longtime STH (my own as an adult, and with my dad as a kid), and the biggest Buffalo supporter you will find. In spite of all that, they simply cannot play on Sunday, and barring the intervention of a National Guard-like supply of snow moving equipment, I really struggle to see how the game could be played here on Monday. I'm not at all suggesting moving the Cleveland game, but I'm supplementing my point with respect to the Jets game by musing that even with melting parking is going to be limited and a mess for the Cleveland game.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been saying for years that they should have put a retractable roof on the Ralph. Open it when it snows so it doesn't collapse and then close it and crank up the heat - problem solved. When warm weather teams come to town, open it up.

You have no idea how difficult that would be. Look at other domed stadiums, then look at RWS. Compare how much area you have to cover without any supporting structure in place. And I'm not even considering the wind load of a structure like that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Open and able to handle the traffic are two different things. As of last night the roads were clear, but they were mostly covered in thick ice and they just can't handle a lot of traffic right now. I've lived in the Southtowns for 35 years, and I have never seen anything like this. Having been to nearly every game since 1990, I can also add this. I have no idea whatsoever what the Bills and the County are going to do about the snow in the parking lot. There is just no place to put it. And even if they pile it up, it reduces available spaces. With satellite lots largely closed for next week, I don't see how the Bills can park a normal volume of cars here. I'm as big a Bills supporter as there is, a longtime STH (my own as an adult, and with my dad as a kid), and the biggest Buffalo supporter you will find. In spite of all that, they simply cannot play on Sunday, and barring the intervention of a National Guard-like supply of snow moving equipment, I really struggle to see how the game could be played here on Monday. I'm not at all suggesting moving the Cleveland game, but I'm supplementing my point with respect to the Jets game by musing that even with melting parking is going to be limited and a mess for the Cleveland game.

Crazy! I hear ya! Thanks all for the updates!

If the stadium was actually in downtown Buffalo, this wouldn't be an issue.

If the hound wouldn't have stopped to take a sh*t, he would have got the fox! ;-P

Sorry... Couldn't resist... It is what it is.

I don't think this storm will impact whether Buffalo gets a dome stadium or not.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Cuomo has a press conference and says that we should use this storm as a reason to pass stronger gun legislation. People don't need guns to hunt deer with when there is too much snow to go deer hunting anyway....

It is simply too risky for the citizens of New York to have people own guns in snowy situations like this.....

The dome idea would have little to do with this storm, but the decreased seat sales and revenue in december due to weather. I love the retractable roof idea as the Bills can decide week to week what they want to do for each game.

The other notion is a downtown stadium is out of the Southtowns (where i grew up) so not the wall of snow as you go over the Father Baker Bridge into Lackawanna. I know it's changed now, but remember that wall of snow coming home from my college job back to Hamburg or OP.

Be safe guys. i just called everyone in my family checking in, and the news media does not do justice to how bad it is right now for those in West Seneca, OP, Hamburg, Lancaster, and South Buffalo. Thank god people still have power, cable, and water. That was worse as a kid in the 77 blizzard when my parents were stuck at work for 5 days, and my 17 year old sister was taking care of us with running the oven for heat, no phones, and so on. I still think the Ice Storm of 76 was worse.

Build the roof with a 12/12 pitch and the snow would fall right off. It would also be seen for miles!

Or maybe they could design big wiper blades that would push the snow off the roof.

And if the stadium is downtown they should have underground tunnels so people can walk to the stadium from parking garages and or other points of interest.

Or pegula could inver flying cars and we won't even need to plow any more

Better yet. Keep everything the same. Invent a big cover that goes over Lake Erie in sections and dirsrupts the moisture from being pulled up during a lake effect event. Doesn't have to be the whole Lake, cover can be orientated and adjusted with which way the wind is blowing... By really big fleet of vessels! Then we become the "Miami of the North!" And... bbb can crow how sweet BFLO's climate is and vanquish my smart alec arse once and for all!

I'd gladly "fall on the sword" for my peeps in WNY!

LoL... Get on it Mikkos Cassadine, um I mean Terry & Kim... ;-)

;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If the stadium was actually in downtown Buffalo, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yes because it does not snow in downtown Buffalo. :sick:

Actually it is due to the hot air of the downtown Buffalo stadium opponents. :lol:

I have walked thru snow 3-4 feet deep in downtown Buffalo and you need to wonder where all the snow will be moved.

If it is side lots those are the places people are planning on tailgating and if not they need to move snow too.

Some seem to have no idea of history of snowstorms in Buffalo area.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Cuomo has a press conference and says that we should use this storm as a reason to pass stronger gun legislation. People don't need guns to hunt deer with when there is too much snow to go deer hunting anyway......

Or opponents say we need looser gun control so gun owners can use their semi-automatic pistols to shoot snow flakes.

Keep the discussion in the PPP forum where the flakes belong.

The dome idea would have little to do with this storm, but the decreased seat sales and revenue in december due to weather. I love the retractable roof idea as the Bills can decide week to week what they want to do for each game.

A retractable roof idea will not work with snow fall we have, it will not handle the snow weight.

The only way a dome or other such model works is for it to be made with a steel web type top with either mechanical panels or other type of panels which can be removed and stacked in part of roof designed to hold them.

Damn enviros make it so they can't dump it down The Niagara to The Falls like they used to. How easy would it be to put the snow right back into The Lake from which it came. God forbid, it might have road salt or something else in it! Really, can it be that much? Anybody argue the other side of this, enlighten me.

I think they take it to Front Park.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Damn enviros make it so they can't dump it down The Niagara to The Falls like they used to. How easy would it be to put the snow right back into The Lake from which it came. God forbid, it might have road salt or something else in it! Really, can it be that much? Anybody argue the other side of this, enlighten me.

I think they take it to Front Park.

perhaps if those crazy "enviros" had more of a say in things over the last 100+ years, a storm of this magnitude never happens. Have you ever heard of a storm like this one? Yeah no one else has either. Also as I read your post, I can't help but hear it in a southern accent. Edited by metzelaars_lives

perhaps if those crazy "enviros" had more of a say in things over the last 100+ years, a storm of this magnitude never happens. Have you ever heard of a storm like this one? Yeah no one else has either. Also as I read your post, I can't help but hear it in a southern accent.

Anything but a southern accent... Nasally BFLO one. What about the Christmas storm of 2001 that dumped 7 feet over a week. Same situation, low pressure stalled over the Upper Great Lakes @ around The Soo.

Get it out of the snow belt.

Then it belongs in Fort Erie... Or worse yet, Toronto. ;-P ;-P