The Snow Gods have spoken, Build a Dome Stadium

HOUSE

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With a new owner, the NFL demanding a new stadium, and the reality of lake effect snow squalls, does the team and politicians expedite construction of a covered stadium (e.g domed or retractable roof)? It will be expensive but it looks like there may be no other choice. Further, with all the press about Buffalo's snow, can you imagine how hard it will be to sign FA's without one?

Im a 100% in favor of a big new stadium with a retractable roof as long as the demanding owner pays for it.My guess is he wont because he is a very smart man and he knows that would be a waste of his money because he would never recover that investment.Plus the chief problem is the fans and media getting to the stadium during weather like this anyway.Plus I love the Ralph. Edited by Very wide right

I doubt the snow alone supports a dome. It would be one more roof that is in big trouble in the Southtowns now. Think of the Metrodome. Besides, clearing the stadium isn't really the issue. I bet that could be done by Monday night. It's more a matter of having a place to put all of the snow, and clearing the lots, and opening the roads, and freeing responders to work the game.

For what it's worth, I live about two miles due east of the stadium, and we are getting pounded with snow as of 1:20p. We had "only" about a foot overnight, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've picked up another foot in the last couple of hours. This snow is different from that which fell yesterday in that it's lighter and easier to shovel, but I have my doubts as to hosting a game here on Sunday. My uneducated guess is that the governor and the county executive have put their two cents in about the difficulty of hosting a game on Sunday, and the league is waiting for the Pegulas to arrive to see the carnage first hand before moving the game. I suspect a Monday night date at the Ralph isn't in the cards, and that we will watch the Bills host the Jets either in Toronto or in Detroit on Monday. Cleveland would be cool because of its proximity, but I'm not sure if the Browns are home on Sunday.

How can I put this.......

<snip>

To the Buffalo fans that will gladly attend this weeks FREEZER BOWL.......You have my complete unwavering respect, you my friend are a diehard. :worthy:

post-19906-0-35679900-1416477034_thumb.jpg

Others may have already hit upon it, but a snow-free field under a dome wouldn't accomplish much if nobody could get to it.

Edited by Campy

The days of an open air stadium is quickly going the way of a Beta VCR, Projection Screen TV's and Blockbuster video stores. The replacement is multi use stadiums for year round use. Its the only way to pay off a Billion dollar stadium.

Now we do have a lot of fans that love sitting outside,tailgating in below zero weather, freezing your rear end off in a stadium that will most likely be half full this Sunday. With this snow storm the Buffalo Bills will most likely meet the Jets without one single day of practice and a LOSS will pretty much eliminate the Bills from the playoffs.

If you are not convinced by now that Buffalo needs a DOME........... the SNOW Gods will drop another 3 feet in Orchard Park sometime today as a reminder.........BUILD A DOME STADIUM YOU DUMMY, THIS IS BUFFALO NEW YORK, NOT TAMPA BAY FLORIDA. :cry:

To the Buffalo fans that will gladly attend this weeks FREEZER BOWL.......You have my complete unwavering respect, you my friend are a diehard. :worthy:

List all of the games played in Buffalo in subzero weather and/or during or after snow of more than 6 inches.

Others may have already hit upon it, but a snow-free field under a dome wouldn't accomplish much if nobody could get to it.

Who says "nobody" could get to it? I'd be happy if 200 make it and I am one of them... ;-P This game is still three days away and the worst is over. They can ban cars, but probably not a snowmobile... How cool would that be to tailgate w/a sled! ;-)

6,200 people made it to the Sabres-Sharks game.

I think the point has been made, yes. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173391-the-snow-gods-have-spoken-build-a-dome-stadium/page__st__20#entry3342617

:flirt:

Who says "nobody" could get to it? I'd be happy if 200 make it and I am one of them... ;-P This game is still three days away and the worst is over. They can ban cars, but probably not a snowmobile... How cool would that be to tailgate w/a sled! ;-)

6,200 people made it to the Sabres-Sharks game.

Exactly. Why AREN'T the Bills dropping cross country skis from helicopters surrounding the 10 mi radius?

Terry is cheap.

I am in agreement that clearing a stadium is not a big deal if you have enough people. 10 bucks an hour and free tix is way cheaper.

I understand that getting there is a problem... But roads will be open by Saturday. Enough people, even with 7 feet, it won't take that long.

I doubt the snow alone supports a dome. It would be one more roof that is in big trouble in the Southtowns now. Think of the Metrodome. Besides, clearing the stadium isn't really the issue. I bet that could be done by Monday night. It's more a matter of having a place to put all of the snow, and clearing the lots, and opening the roads, and freeing responders to work the game.

For what it's worth, I live about two miles due east of the stadium, and we are getting pounded with snow as of 1:20p. We had "only" about a foot overnight, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've picked up another foot in the last couple of hours. This snow is different from that which fell yesterday in that it's lighter and easier to shovel, but I have my doubts as to hosting a game here on Sunday. My uneducated guess is that the governor and the county executive have put their two cents in about the difficulty of hosting a game on Sunday, and the league is waiting for the Pegulas to arrive to see the carnage first hand before moving the game. I suspect a Monday night date at the Ralph isn't in the cards, and that we will watch the Bills host the Jets either in Toronto or in Detroit on Monday. Cleveland would be cool because of its proximity, but I'm not sure if the Browns are home on Sunday.

Take care! Hang in there

I am sounding selfish, but DET or Cleveland would be cool! Blush...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Build the roof with a 12/12 pitch and the snow would fall right off. It would also be seen for miles!

Or maybe they could design big wiper blades that would push the snow off the roof.

And if the stadium is downtown they should have underground tunnels so people can walk to the stadium from parking garages and or other points of interest.

Or pegula could inver flying cars and we won't even need to plow any more

I think the point has been made, yes. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173391-the-snow-gods-have-spoken-build-a-dome-stadium/page__st__20#entry3342617

:flirt:

Exactly. Why AREN'T the Bills dropping cross country skis from helicopters surrounding the 10 mi radius?

Terry is cheap.

LMAO... Helos kick up too much snow. ;-P

I am in agreement that clearing a stadium is not a big deal if you have enough people. 10 bucks an hour and free tix is way cheaper.

I understand that getting there is a problem... But roads will be open by Saturday. Enough people, even with 7 feet, it won't take that long.

Take care! Hang in there

I arm sounding selfish, but DET or Cleveland would be cool! Blush...

No they won't. 20-30 more inches possible tomorrow.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The days of an open air stadium is quickly going the way of a Beta VCR, Projection Screen TV's and Blockbuster video stores. The replacement is multi use stadiums for year round use. Its the only way to pay off a Billion dollar stadium.

Now we do have a lot of fans that love sitting outside,tailgating in below zero weather, freezing your rear end off in a stadium that will most likely be half full this Sunday. With this snow storm the Buffalo Bills will most likely meet the Jets without one single day of practice and a LOSS will pretty much eliminate the Bills from the playoffs.

If you are not convinced by now that Buffalo needs a DOME........... the SNOW Gods will drop another 3 feet in Orchard Park sometime today as a reminder.........BUILD A DOME STADIUM YOU DUMMY, THIS IS BUFFALO NEW YORK, NOT TAMPA BAY FLORIDA. :cry:

Yeah, build a DOME STADIUM and watch the ROOF Collapse! :wallbash: Hasn't anyone been watching the news????