Teddy Bridgewater throw

chef4131

No one is arguing that doc. The point was made that the flag was thrown on Wilson but his receiver ran the wrong route. Rule says it doesn't matter if there is miscommunication between QB and WR.

The rule, as it's almost always been called, is IG is waved-off if there is a receiver in the area and the ball isn't thrown OOB. If that's what happened in Wilson's case, it was another blown call.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eli heaved one up in the Giants game while facing backwards and being driven to the turf--no flag. Gimme a *%#*}{ng break....

That play was the definition of intentional grounding, no idea how that wasn't called as there wasn't a receiver even close to it not to mention he threw it facing wrong direction

The rule, as it's almost always been called, is IG is waved-off if there is a receiver in the area and the ball isn't thrown OOB. If that's what happened in Wilson's case, it was another blown call.

Yes. Receiver has to be within 5 yards, I think. That's not what happened in Wilson's case

Edited by Mr. WEO

The Orton throw landed only about 4 yards away from Sammy. Carey greatly embellished that description. Terrible call but the Bills should have been up by two TD's and never put themselves in that position. I'm not a fan of these grounding calls, if the opposing QB want's to give up a play as early as Orton.....or in todays game the IG on Russell Wilson....I say that's a win for the defense in itself. Now if the guy chucks it away as he's running for his life it's a different matter.

The thing I find interesting in the KC game was that Orton didn't get called for what I believe could be considered intentional grounding. There were two plays I remember where Hali, I believe it was him, came underneath the screen route and Orton threw the ball at his feet. The RB was within 5 yards but looked as though the ball did not pass the line of scrimmage which from my understanding should be grounding.

Correct me if I am wrong but since he was in the tackle box, the ball didn't pass the LOS and there was no realistic chance for the RB to catch the ball, that is technically IG right?

Bridgewater's throw was 10 yards away. That was IG but no penalty. NFL has been good at deflecting criticism of the officiating but since the strike the calls have become more blatant and they can not hide from it. I love football but now the refs are ruining games. Pass interference. defensive holding and offensive holding are called very erratically. Time to clean up the mess.

I feel like in all my years of watching pro and college football any time there's a "mix-up" between a QB and receiver and the refs can see that they just simply weren't on the same page or the receiver ran the wrong route they do not throw the flag. I don't know where this whole idea suddenly came from out of nowhere just this week that it doesn't matter.

Same goes for offensive PI. Ravens get a win taken away against Cincinnati and NO gets a win taken away against SF for offense PI calls that I feel like usually don't get called. We've had a few key questionable offensive PIs called on us this season in notable losses (vs NE and KC).

Edited by Talley56

Not true, they will flag the Bills consistently on that play.

I hate reading stuff like this when all i can do is realize the truth of it.

Sure it does. If a receiver is in the area, it's not grounding.

of course, it's relative, ya know. from different viewpoints a WR can look closer or further from the ball, thus allowing perfect inconsistency and an excuse.

I feel like in all my years of watching pro and college football any time there's a "mix-up" between a QB and receiver and the refs can see that they just simply weren't on the same page or the receiver ran the wrong route they do not throw the flag. I don't know where this whole idea suddenly came from out of nowhere just this week that it doesn't matter.

Same goes for offensive PI. Ravens get a win taken away against Cincinnati and NO gets a win taken away against SF for offense PI calls that I feel like usually don't get called. We've had a few key questionable offensive PIs called on us this season in notable losses (vs NE and KC).

not according to the Great Mike Carey! Intentional? Unintentional? Same thing! Just makin' up the rules as they go along....

There is no 5 yard rule. Otherwise you would hear that every single time. It's a general feeling that is a reasonable amount of space but it is not the rule.

Yup. That may even be a cliffnote given at officials meetings but it's not written that way. Fox would have a little receiver halo they would bust out whenever in question if it was

Yup. That may even be a cliffnote given at officials meetings but it's not written that way. Fox would have a little receiver halo they would bust out whenever in question if it was

Yup, you might be right. Carey definitely mentioned it in his explanation.