Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

I voted Malzahn, but Sumlin and Briles would also be cool with me. We need aggressive coaching, particularly on offense. Marrone is weak. But I have a feeling Marrone ain't going away yet. Hackett might get thrown under the bus though. We can only hope.

You're right... for any other candidate. But for the former starting QB, the argument that the Big 10 isn't what it was doesn't hold much weight (I'd imagine, I'm speculating of course). I think Kirby's right that if any place has the inside track on his hire it'd be UM, but your logic is probably correct for any outside hire.

This is cyclical. The Big Ten has to be rebuilt for a modern brand of football. The SEC wasn't always the SEC. Conferences ebb and flow. Talent and timing have a lot to do with hit. TV exposure has also factored in. Players are more spread out than they used to be because they can be on TV playing in any conference. The Big 10 can come back though. All about getting the right coaches, with the right systems, and the right salesmanship.

Edited by purple haze

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a guy who can come in and at his first meeting tap his Super Bowl Ring (you get one even if you lose) on the podium like Chucky does in the beer commercial. Then say, I want to win another championship and here's how we're gonna do it ... Immediate buy in and respect from all the players. Said coach will also be able to bring quality co ordinators and assistants down the line that will want to work for him. FA players will want to come here and play for him too.

I'm tired of Nate Hackett's and Alex Van Pelt's and George Edwards' for co ordinators.

Names that come to mind for me include Hardball, Coughlin, Gruden, Cowher.

We have acquired good talent here at most positions. HC is one of the ones we haven't.

I hear you. But all of the coaches you named were, at one time, the Alex Van Pelt's, George Edwards and Nate Hackett's. They were respected assistants or a college coach who were highly thought of. They could just as easily have failed as succeeded. There is no magic formula.

I was thinking Sumlin, but they give up soooo many points. Get (or keep) a good DC and I'd be OK with that. I'm just sick of wasting this talent.

Football, becuase of these new rules, gives a tremendous advantage to the offense (Even more reason Hackett is terrible). Giving up points, unlike in years prior, might not be the best indicator of defensive effectiveness. Games across college football are routinely scoring in the 30's and 40's. I think it's terrible, but this the world we live in now. I loved the Bama 6 - LSU 9 game from a few years back. Those days are done for the most part though until the rules stop favoring offensive production.

Edited by purple haze

It's funny, I want a guy to coach the next generation of football, but I don't want a gimmicky type offense. It's hard for me to tell the difference. The wildcat was just silly to me, and I want to keep our QB healthy. I saw Russell Wilson run today, and he actually knew when and HOW to slide. EJ seemed to struggle with something that should be so easy. Did he never play little league? He looked like a giraffe trying to slide at times.

Unless Jim Kelly comes out publicly proclaiming he would love to see Harbaugh as coach, I will stick with Marrone. Maybe with another year under their belt, the kids on the offensive line could hold em long enough to make EJ look decent.

The money will talk and the $7m+ will land him back at UM. The Raiders just don't Michigan money.

In all honesty I highly doubt any person in their right mind would choose any college over an NFL job, as with the latter there are only 32 in the world. Nothing carries as much prestige or glory with it, as winning the Vince Lombardi trophy.

Then I also doubt that the Pegula's will allow anyone to outbid them for the services of the person they determine will be their new head coach. Just the same way they they surely overbid for the team to ensure they would own it. Then, I also doubt that anyone will care about the incident between Jim Kelly & Jim Harbough years ago. I'd bet Jimbo would embrace Harbaugh should he become the new HC.

This poll may be getting more, and more interesting over the new several weeks depending if the bills continue to lose games. Some others to perhaps add to the list, as they will get looks for head coaching jobs next year.

Denver DC Jack Del Rio: Denver OC Adam Gase: Oakland interim HC Tony Sparano: 49er OC Greg Roman: 49er D line coach Jim Tomsula: current Stanford HC David Shaw:

In all honesty I highly doubt any person in their right mind would choose any college over an NFL job, as with the latter there are only 32 in the world. Nothing carries as much prestige or glory with it, as winning the Vince Lombardi trophy.

This is where we disagree. In many, many places in the country college football comes first. It is not viewed as pro and minor leagues at all. The money makes it the big time. I listed the states earlier and it is more than 1/2 the states (not 1/2 the population though). Saban and Petrino both went back to college recently and everyone seems to think that Harbaugh is headed there as well.

Saban may have the best contract in football. He makes $7M and the boosters paid off his house and expenses outside of his contract. That is commonplace in college sports. In addition to their salaries often times boosters will sign high profile coaches to ridiculous endorsement deals (read up on Tubby Smith's contract at Kentucky). As an example (this is made up), Papa John may pay Rick Pitino $4M a year to be a spokesman. It may not really require much or any work but it's another way to funnel money to these guys. That's a big difference in college and the pros. In the NFL the owner pays you. In college sports money flows from many different avenues.