Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh FTL, I was hoping that you wouldn't do that!! You quoted 2 articles from January of 2013 and then here are his thoughts in January of 2014: http://profootballta...a-coaching-job/

I just happened to see the article while surfing around. What I wanted to extend to you is that Cowher is very up on the current offensives, defensive schemes in that he still watches a lot of game film. The door has always been open to him to being a head coach again, and the mere fact that he actually interviewed back in 2010 for the job in Buffalo lets me know he had an interest or he wouldn't have even interviewed.

What he stated at that time was that he wanted to go to a team that had an established QB, and to work for an owner that was 100% committed to winning above all else. I also happen to think he wouldn't allow himself to be micromanaged as Wilson had a tendency to do, and they probably didn't even come close to making him a proper offer money wise.

Do you recall the spin out of OBD back in 2010, that "they" were willing to pay the right head coach 10 million per, and even Shanahans head popped up for a bit, and eyed the Bills when that announcement was made. What stinks is that whole thing might have been just a ploy to see his plan to build the team, and what coaches he would hire as assistants. Because the Buffalo Bills hired one of those assistants as HC.

Kyle Orton might just be enough of a QB for Cowher, and the current Bills defensive players must make him yearn to coach again.

The new Bills owners look to be the type that won't spare any expense on coaching to get winning results, so that 7 mill per, or even 8 mill per will no longer be a road block. Bill Belichick is the highest paid HC in the league, and this team needs someone comparable to be able to compete with him.

I just happened to see the article while surfing around. What I wanted to extend to you is that Cowher is very up on the current offensives, defensive schemes in that he still watches a lot of game film. The door has always been open to him to being a head coach again, and the mere fact that he actually interviewed back in 2010 for the job in Buffalo lets me know he had an interest or he wouldn't have even interviewed.

What he stated at that time was that he wanted to go to a team that had an established QB, and to work for an owner that was 100% committed to winning above all else. I also happen to think he wouldn't allow himself to be micromanaged as Wilson had a tendency to do, and they probably didn't even come close to making him a proper offer money wise.

Do you recall the spin out of OBD back in 2010, that "they" were willing to pay the right head coach 10 million per, and even Shanahans head popped up for a bit, and eyed the Bills when that announcement was made. What stinks is that whole thing might have been just a ploy to see his plan to build the team, and what coaches he would hire as assistants. Because the Buffalo Bills hired one of those assistants as HC.

Kyle Orton might just be enough of a QB for Cowher, and the current Bills defensive players must make him yearn to coach again.

The new Bills owners look to be the type that won't spare any expense on coaching to get winning results, so that 7 mill per, or even 8 mill per will no longer be a road block. Bill Belichick is the highest paid HC in the league, and this team needs someone comparable to be able to compete with him.

I 100% agree with everything here. The Bills job (and ownership) will be an appealing one. There is a talent level here that is miles ahead of when Gailey was hired. The stability is important too. If they decide to go in another direction I think that a lot of the top candidates will have an interest. I don't think that this will be a situation where we are taking what we can get. Marrone was the only HC that the Bills hired in recent times that had any sort of market for him. I guess Gregg Williams had a little buzz but the rest of those guys didn't.

The other thing that may be the biggest change is that the Bills will pay for a coaching staff like they haven't until recent years. They will have a shot at a top coordinator (if they keep Marrone for example). They can give Schwartz a pay increase and grab someone like Trestman to run the offense. Until the last few years the Bills haven't chased top assistants. That was a place that RW liked to cut spending (at least until late in life).

I 100% agree with everything here. The Bills job (and ownership) will be an appealing one. There is a talent level here that is miles ahead of when Gailey was hired. The stability is important too. If they decide to go in another direction I think that a lot of the top candidates will have an interest. I don't think that this will be a situation where we are taking what we can get. Marrone was the only HC that the Bills hired in recent times that had any sort of market for him. I guess Gregg Williams had a little buzz but the rest of those guys didn't.

The other thing that may be the biggest change is that the Bills will pay for a coaching staff like they haven't until recent years. They will have a shot at a top coordinator (if they keep Marrone for example). They can give Schwartz a pay increase and grab someone like Trestman to run the offense. Until the last few years the Bills haven't chased top assistants. That was a place that RW liked to cut spending (at least until late in life).

Man, I'm so hoping they don't keep Marrone and just dump Hackett. While that might work to some minor degree, I just don't see Marrone as in any way shape or form up ever up to competing with Bill Belichick.

Marrone has already made so many, many major mistakes in his two years, and enough to show me he isn't nearly ready to be an NFL HC. Much less compete in the division with the very best in the league. There are still far to many of his ex college assistant buddies to compile a decent NFL staff. (Cronyism) Marrone's background, and forte is the offense, O line, and he is failing badly is his area of expertise. Not even Jauron, Gailey failed in that regard.

I'm so looking forward to next year, and the Bills hiring a top NFL HC, along an experienced NFL staff. The one thought the new owners need to entertain is that in order to go anywhere with a winning team they must first beat the Patriots, and take the division title. That will ensure home field in the division, and the next step is home field throughout. Having the best record in the AFC conference, and home field throughout is what gave Buffalo a huge edge in beating the Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs to win the AFC. The one lone AFC championship game not in Buffalo was in Miami against the Dolphins.

I just don't see many people on the horizon who could step into the Bills HCing job next season, and build a team that could actually instantly compete against the Patriots / Brady to win the division. The only two I see are Jim Harbaugh, Bill Cowher!

I can't lie, I would do backflips if we were to land Cowher. And I would do several of them in a row, on the concrete. And I don't know the first thing about gymnastics.

Seriously, he was the coach I voted for that I wanted to see Pegula hire. I agree with both Kirby and FTL this would be a VERY attractive job for him. Pegula appears to be a "hands off" type owner who will let his GM/Coach do their thing, with little intervention, which I'm sure may have turned off some of the bigger name candidates the last time the position was vacant...

Yes please on some Cowher!! Git r done Terry!

The person I wanted all along was Arians when he was available before Arizona picked him up, but that didn't happen. If Pegula is willing to,open the wallet,and because we have a much more talented team than the last decade, there is a chance we land a bigger name coach. The glaring issue is QB. Big time coaches always want a QB in hand before they come to a team.

With no QB, and no first pick will be an issue. The more likely result is Marrone is told by Whaley to fire Hackett, hire a very experienced OC, and he gets another year for continuity.

With no QB, and no first pick will be an issue. The more likely result is Marrone is told by Whaley to fire Hackett, hire a very experienced OC, and he gets another year for continuity.

I also think this is the most likely outcome... although a 5-11, 6-10 finish I think makes a double firing (Marrone and Hackett) more likely.

I also agree with machine gun Kelly. I can totally see Marrone being told to fire Hackett and given one more year to right the ship. In all honesty, I wouldn't be displeased with this option if it comes about. While I am certainly no Marrone fan, I don't think he's the worst coach we've ever had, and would love to see what he would do with a proven OC.

Now if we could just get this little QB issue resolved.....

I also agree with machine gun Kelly. I can totally see Marrone being told to fire Hackett and given one more year to right the ship. In all honesty, I wouldn't be displeased with this option if it comes about. While I am certainly no Marrone fan, I don't think he's the worst coach we've ever had, and would love to see what he would do with a proven OC.

The only way Marrone returns is with a miraculous 5-1 record. Very little chance of that happening. IMO the Bills have one of the three worst head coaches along with the Bears and Raiders. There is no hiding from this. I think Marrone is a great guy, but he's simply not cut out for a NFL head coaching job. You can't have tunnel vision and be slow to change when things aren't working. Marv Levy would have fired Hackett after that first year even if he was his buddy. Marv was a great guy, but he would never confuse having coach loyalty to loyalty to the job and the team. Marv was willing to do anything other than cheat to be a winner. Marrone doesn't seem to have have that gene. He has his guys, his philosophy and will take that train ride till there are no more tracks. The Bills need a LOT more than that from their head coach to go against Belichick. The new owner could throw a dart at that list of potential candidates and pick himself a much better head coach (well, as long as that dart didn't hit Marrone's name).

Edited by 1billsfan

I think the issue with dumping Hackett and keeping Marrone is the limited appeal the Bills OC position would have with a HC (Marron) that would clearly be on the hot seat from game #1 in 2015 --- not to mention, no franchise QB. Where a new HC would know he'd have at least 2 years (probably 3) and also have both sides of ball to be evaluated against.

Joe B has said on a few occasions that it's Marrone philosophy that's keeping Hackett handcuffed. I believe it, Marrone got to go!

Joe B has said on a few occasions that it's Marrone philosophy that's keeping Hackett handcuffed. I believe it, Marrone got to go!

I'm not sure I do... because the issue is the concept behind the offense. It isn't because we don't throw deep enough whch might be Marrone forcing Hackett to be too conservative it is because the whole thing looks and feels confused.

I think the issue with dumping Hackett and keeping Marrone is the limited appeal the Bills OC position would have with a HC (Marron) that would clearly be on the hot seat from game #1 in 2015 --- not to mention, no franchise QB. Where a new HC would know he'd have at least 2 years (probably 3) and also have both sides of ball to be evaluated against.

Great point TX. That never crossed my mind but it is definitely a factor. A coach on the hot seat will only be attracting a guy looking to get his "shot."

It's going to be Marrone. There is no other option. Moreover, this "outside consultant" that Terry Pegula is going to hire is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Who is this "outside consultant"? Bill Parcells? Jimmy Johnson? Marv Levy? Bruce Smith?

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Sorry, sometimes hard to tell.

I'm assuming sarcastic...