Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another name not mentioned: Green Bay DC Dom Capers

Has he worked out how to stop the read option yet? We play the NFC West the season after next don't we? If you though Wannatache's defense got killed by a running Quarterback here comes Dom Capers to show you how to really get killed.

In all honesty I highly doubt any person in their right mind would choose any college over an NFL job, as with the latter there are only 32 in the world. Nothing carries as much prestige or glory with it, as winning the Vince Lombardi trophy.

You've never lived in a huge college football town I'm guessing. There are plenty of heritage jobs in NCAA that are far more prestigious (and far better paid) than a lower tier NFL gig which Buffalo most certainly is -- even if you win the Lombardi. Michigan is one of those programs, that goes double for a former maze and blue QB coming back to return the program to glory.

Say what you want, -He's a great offensive coordinator... He knows how to score... On and off the field, evidently. Can't be mad at a guy for that.

Where? In college, absolutely.

Can't say I ever thought the Jags or the Falcons were offensive juggernauts when he was calling the plays...

This is where we disagree. In many, many places in the country college football comes first. It is not viewed as pro and minor leagues at all. The money makes it the big time. I listed the states earlier and it is more than 1/2 the states (not 1/2 the population though). Saban and Petrino both went back to college recently and everyone seems to think that Harbaugh is headed there as well.

Saban may have the best contract in football. He makes $7M and the boosters paid off his house and expenses outside of his contract. That is commonplace in college sports. In addition to their salaries often times boosters will sign high profile coaches to ridiculous endorsement deals (read up on Tubby Smith's contract at Kentucky). As an example (this is made up), Papa John may pay Rick Pitino $4M a year to be a spokesman. It may not really require much or any work but it's another way to funnel money to these guys. That's a big difference in college and the pros. In the NFL the owner pays you. In college sports money flows from many different avenues.

I'm very well aware of how exciting the college football scene is in big football cities, and big football states. I'm also very aware that the elite schools pay their coaches more then some pro teams, and those winning HC's like Saban can make a ton of money.

Nevertheless both Saban & Petrino went back to college because they both failed at the NFL level, and not because they were lured back because of working for their Alma mater or simply because of money.

Like I said there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world, and that in itself is far more prestigious. Then there is no ultimate level of football higher then the NFL, america's most popular sport by far " Pro football is the most popular sport in America for at least the 30th straight year." http://espn.go.com/n...ar-mlb-2nd NFL 35% College FB 11%

Besides all that I still see the Pegula's not having any issue at all in making the next Buffalo Bills head coach the highest paid HC in the league. They could probably lure Nick Saban away from Alabama if they wanted, even with his 6.9 mill per.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I'm very well aware of how exciting the college football scene is in big football cities, and big football states. I'm also very aware that the elite schools pay their coaches more then some pro teams, and those winning HC's like Saban can make a ton of money.

Nevertheless both Saban & Petrino went back to college because they both failed at the NFL level, and not because they were lured back because of working for their Alma mater or simply because of money.

Like I said there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world, and that in itself is far more prestigious. Then there is no ultimate level of football higher then the NFL, america's most popular sport by far " Pro football is the most popular sport in America for at least the 30th straight year." http://espn.go.com/n...ar-mlb-2nd NFL 35% College FB 11%

Besides all that I still see the Pegula's not having any issue at all in making the next Buffalo Bills head coach the highest paid HC in the league. They could probably lure Nick Saban away from Alabama if they wanted, even with his 6.9 mill per.

I don't think that you have any chance at a Saban for a dime under the $10M (or whatever his real number is). Anyone that believes that he is only making $7M is not familiar with Alabama. My guess is that his real income is close to double that.

We just disagree on prestige. The Alabama job is a better job than the Bills job. There are about a dozen (I said 20 earlier but it's closer to 10) college jobs that are more prestigious than the Bills. I will give it a shot: Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, UGA, Auburn, USC, FSU, LSU, and Oklahoma. I live in New Orleans, Sean Payton is the highest paid coach in the NFL but in LA Les Miles is the top guy. Here is one man's opinion (it's about 2 years old): http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8733842&src=desktop

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Good points!! So far Harbaugh has almost come to blows with our beloved defensive coordinator and punched the greatest QB in franchise history in the face.

All the more reason, training camp would be a hot ticket

Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks 37m37 minutes ago

My sleeper HC candidate: KC OC Doug Pederson. Smart, players love him, former QB, been around great coaches.

I'm afraid there is nothing innovative about what the Chiefs do on offense. In fact, they are almost a guarantee one and out every time they make them because at some point you need to throw the ball down the field to win in the playoffs. You can't get away with being so one dimensional because the defenses are too good and they will eventually force you to do what you're not comfortable doing. Reid and his run/short passing offenses are great for tallying up wins during the regular season. Just don't expect to hang around long in the playoffs.

Considering how the Marrone regime played out as Dick Jauron Part II, a guy with such a conservative approach on offense like this would be one of the last guys I'd hire for this team. I think the Bills need to be both a dynamic running and passing offense because you want to win in the playoffs when you finally get there. Whether we go with an offensive or defensive head coaching hire, the Bills need a dynamic and innovative coach as their new OC.

I really would not mind McDaniels. I'm willing to forget Tebow and Denver and just accept that him being so plugged into NE and their winning ways and their offensive tendencies would be a huge hire for us. Especially if you could keep Shwartz.

He isn't the most exciting guy...but for our particular situation it is hard to think of a better fit that we could potentially get. He's offense. He's young. It's possible. He's in a perfect position to help us beat NE.

Edited by MoreOffense

I'm afraid there is nothing innovative about what the Chiefs do on offense. In fact, they are almost a guarantee one and out every time they make them because at some point you need to throw the ball down the field to win in the playoffs. You can't get away with being so one dimensional because the defenses are too good and they will eventually force you to do what you're not comfortable doing. Reid and his run/short passing offenses are great for tallying up wins during the regular season. Just don't expect to hang around long in the playoffs.

Considering how the Marrone regime played out as Dick Jauron Part II, a guy with such a conservative approach on offense like this would be one of the last guys I'd hire for this team. I think the Bills need to be both a dynamic running and passing offense because you want to win in the playoffs when you finally get there. Whether we go with an offensive or defensive head coaching hire, the Bills need a dynamic and innovative coach as their new OC.

I'd like to think the Chiefs' lack of a downfield passing attack is because of Alex Smith and not really a fault of the scheme. If anything, developing a scheme around your players and their talents is a good thing.

Harbaugh feels like a deal with the devil because he's such an *** but I think he's a legit top coach. If they can't get him then I vote college guy all the way; just make sure it's not another Dick Jauron in disguise like Marrone is.

Jauron is 1000x the football mind of Marrone.

Edited by 4merper4mer

We just disagree on prestige. The Alabama job is a better job than the Bills job.

I grew up in Buffalo, but until I moved to the southeast after college I had no idea about the intense passion for college football. I knew it was there from watching college football reports on Saturday with scores on the Lehigh and Bucknell games, but I had zero idea about the passion and craziness. In fact, Buffalo (and Kansas City and Green Bay, etc.) are the closest you can get to the best of college football. Where there's crazy passion there's money. Even the philosophies have started to be dictated by college as opposed to the NFL. You can only draft the people they develop for you. The world is turning upside down. Don't miss out on the reality, college ball is a huge deal on it's own.

I can honestly say, you know absolutely nothing about Saban.

I don't think that you have any chance at a Saban for a dime under the $10M (or whatever his real number is). Anyone that believes that he is only making $7M is not familiar with Alabama. My guess is that his real income is close to double that.

We just disagree on prestige. The Alabama job is a better job than the Bills job. There are about a dozen (I said 20 earlier but it's closer to 10) college jobs that are more prestigious than the Bills. I will give it a shot: Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, UGA, Auburn, USC, FSU, LSU, and Oklahoma. I live in New Orleans, Sean Payton is the highest paid coach in the NFL but in LA Les Miles is the top guy. Here is one man's opinion (it's about 2 years old): http://m.espn.go.com...842&src=desktop

We do.

I get that every game that Alabama plays is an event almost equal to a super bowl event with all the crazy fans. Granted Saban is 62, and is on course to become the greatest crimson tide coach ever, and his current roster is loaded for the future. My take is men like him are driven more by the big prize then just by money. He has already won four BCS championships, and no Super bowls.

Sometimes guys like him feel the need to scratch that itch they can't get to, and that itch being the Vince Lombardi trophy that says you, and your team is the best in the world at the professional level. Its going to an interesting off season as Atlanta owner Arthur Blank is said to be trying to get Saban to make a move, and so is good friend Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff.

Time will tell.

Edited by FeartheLosing