It might be time to get Jon Gruden's phone number.

Tipster19

Guys:

People remember Gruden for his SB run. He also coming to Tampa took the Raiders one game away from the SB the year before, and was solid as the OC in Philly under Reid.

Now, because I lived through Gruden, he took on too much power in the regime with Bruce Allen as a puppet, and bbrought in way too many old washed up guys, as he wanted people to win now the years after the SB. We went from 11-5, to 5-11, to 11-5, 5-11, and so on for 5 years. It wasn't all rosy down here with the Bucs.

Dungy on the other hand, with his mild mannered approach along with Rich McKay built a hell of a defense, and Buc ball, which means very predictable running type team. That defense was a top 10 defense for 10 years.

I just wouldn't rewrite history overstating Gruden's prowess. Besides, he's the face of MNF, makes I believe $3 mil a year for not a lot of work, and not stressed working 19 hour days, I'd doubt he comes back. He and the Chin are making easy money and very popular. Lastly, he's enjoying coaching his boys in football, helps out at Carrollwood Day School which became a much better high school team once he was able to help.

It's funny as my defensive coach wehn I coached my boys in a competitive flag league, used to go up against Gruden every year before he switched from I-9 to our NFL Flag league. It's kind of cool to know you beat Gruden in flag. My buddy beat him one out of three times.

I'm not a big west coast offense guy and that's Gruden's thing but in all fairness that Bucs team was a bit overripe when he got it and he squeezed a title out of them when they were otherwised primed for a decline, IMO. Without those draft picks and with a bunch of old-timers that team was destined for a bottoming out. I think he did a very good job in Tampa. Tony Dungy was the lucky one because he got a QB when he went to Indy. It's hard to be a championship contender for more than a few years without a top-of-the-heap QB. Tony Dungy could coach that Bucs team that won a championship 50 times and not win that SB with Brad Johnson as his QB. What Gruden did there was pretty special. His OL was GARBAGE. His RB's were nothing and his receiving corps was of little note but he coaxed decent offensive football out of that group somehow. The question with Gruden isn't whether he WAS special the question is whether he is still that type of coach that can both scheme and motivate a team to play better than the sum of it's parts. He was at one time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate gruden. we might win with him, but im not watching any bills coach pressers.

Whether you love him or hate him, why does anyone think Jon Gruden wants to coach again, or that he would do it in Buffalo?

If a guy of his calibre or Bill Cowher's wanted to coach again, they'd be coaching.

These guys have made the leap to collecting an easy $5 million (?) per year saying nothing on TV.

They aren't going back to coaching.

i could see a gruden doing with this team what harbaugh did in San Fran. we have lots of talent.

his act would likewise wear thin but there are worse problems to have.

Gruden hasn't coached in how long? He must be getting better and better.

It sure seems that way. It used to seem that the booth was just a stop before they get back to coaching................I always thought Jimmy Johnson would go back. And, now none of them do.

I can't blame them at all. I wonder if they really make millions though. I'm sure they make good money, but what they do doesn't seem to be worth millions.

The rumor on Gruden is 4m

Think about the salary of actors on huge rating shows. Not crazy.

Gruden hasn't coached in how long? He must be getting better and better.

It's not like he's just sitting at home either. The guys about as close to the game as you can be without being employed by a team between his job, his brother, and his personal interest in studying with coaches in his own time.

Would he work out? Maybe, maybe not. All I said is I could see him having that effect- and he has before.

Edited by NoSaint

Whether you love him or hate him, why does anyone think Jon Gruden wants to coach again, or that he would do it in Buffalo?

If a guy of his calibre or Bill Cowher's wanted to coach again, they'd be coaching.

These guys have made the leap to collecting an easy $5 million (?) per year saying nothing on TV.

They aren't going back to coaching.

Hmmm, let me think about this. Guy inherits a solid D, EJ whom he raved about if I'm not mistaken and more than what Shanahan got and a chance to seriously cement his legacy as a coach and always having the ability to pick up a tv gig again down the road. Heh, why when I think about it, I think he does do it! I don't think Brandon does though if he's in charge.

I think El Pegual is up to speed quickly on this though and in has already made Russ the boss of the business. Not the football business. Who knows. Marrone can still determine his own fate but it's getting harder and harder each week and he is really thin skinned so he is likely to have a blow up with the media or maybe Mike Williams???

Cemented his status??! Is that because he fumbled at a critical point of the game??! Please, I know it's early but I'm inviting anybody to bookmark my comments and opinion on Brown. This guy will disappoint us in the course of time. I'm more than happy to stand on what I said about this guy. There's a reason why this guy has been a back up. I guess time will tell either way.

Ur not so good at the sarcasm, are ya?

As a Bills fan that now lives in Tampa I must laugh every time I hear someone say that Gruden won the Super Bowl with "Dungy's team". Just a heads up that Dungy never got that team to even win an NFC title let alone a Super Bowl ring. Nor was he ever going to. To drive home my point Gruden brought in 11 of the starters who were on the Super Bowl team (50% of the starters). Including the Quarterback, starting wideouts, starting running back (and guy who shouldve won SB MVP), and many of the defenders even. The only reason Dungy got his ring ring was because of Peyton Manning. Gruden is a FARRRRR superior coach to Tony Dungy and it would be one of the greatest days in Bills history if he came here. He does not settle for mediocrity.

The Quarterback, Brad Johnson, was Tampa Bay's starting QB in 2001. The final year Dungy was coach. Gruden did not bring Johnson to Tampa bay. In 2002 after winning the Super Bowl Tampa Bay had 7 players selected to the Pro Bowl. Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Shelton Quarles, Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, Brad Johnson, and Mike Astott. All 7 played in 2001 under Dungy. And that did not include their #1 receiver, Keyshawn Johnson. Not one was brought in by Gruden. The core of the Team was not brought in by Gruden. In fact, Grudens first year was his most successful. As the core group left, so did the success of Tampa Bay.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

Hmmm, let me think about this. Guy inherits a solid D, EJ whom he raved about if I'm not mistaken and more than what Shanahan got and a chance to seriously cement his legacy as a coach and always having the ability to pick up a tv gig again down the road. Heh, why when I think about it, I think he does do it! I don't think Brandon does though if he's in charge.

I think El Pegual is up to speed quickly on this though and in has already made Russ the boss of the business. Not the football business. Who knows. Marrone can still determine his own fate but it's getting harder and harder each week and he is really thin skinned so he is likely to have a blow up with the media or maybe Mike Williams???

Grudges has raved about every QB to come out of a solid program.

It sure seems that way. It used to seem that the booth was just a stop before they get back to coaching................I always thought Jimmy Johnson would go back. And, now none of them do.

I can't blame them at all. I wonder if they really make millions though. I'm sure they make good money, but what they do doesn't seem to be worth millions.

You're right...probably not millions but they all seem pretty comfortable in their jobs and hard to see them coaching again.

The rumor on Gruden is 4m

Think about the salary of actors on huge rating shows. Not crazy.

Then he's got the easiest job/work ratio possible. How many days does he actually work? And, how many viewers are watching MNF because of him.

It's not like people tuning into Big Bang Theory because of Kaley Cuoco. I believe each of them are now making $1M per episode. But, there would be no show without them.

I wonder if Gruden still gets up at exactly 3:23AM or whatever crazy time it was. I bet he sleeps in now! He'd be crazy to go back to coaching.

You're right...probably not millions but they all seem pretty comfortable in their jobs and hard to see them coaching again.

Ha - you posted when I was typing. NoSaint says $4M for Gruden, so you're right. Crazy money for what these guys bring to the table, I think. And, they do have it made!

I think the Tampa thing has to be looked at properly... Gruden made the team Champions when Dungy didn't look like he could get there, but Tony Dungy did the hard part - he turned the tide around. Taking a perennial loser and making them a contender (even if he didn't quite climb the mountain) deserves enormous credit. That is hard.

That is what Marrone is trying to do here. This team has had 1 winning record in 14 years. You don't come in and turn that around overnight. It doesn't happen. I actually think Marrone has done well in getting some accountability and some toughness into the locker room. The number of games we have quit on in the year and a half he has been coach is maybe 2? Whereas in years past we were getting out blown out 3 or 4 times a year. However, I see him as a "managerial coach." I think he is the kind of guy who can lead and set a direction but needs his coordinators to be good coaches and good play-callers. I think he has had that both years on the defensive side of the ball but he really hasn't had it offensively. I am not against Marrone staying on - I don't think spinning the carousel every three years will get us anywhere - I think if he can keep Schwartz and replace Hackett with an upgrade we can kick on.

As for the three media coaches..... Cowher and Dungy are done in my honest opinion. Gruden's ego is big enough that I think you could tempt him back.... but only when it is him as the mythical saviour and even then I think he would want somewhere with the media attention on him. Interestingly Steve Mariucci is another I think you might yet tempt off the TV set in the right circumstances.