Kouandjio expecting to be active v. Chiefs

YoloinOhio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok if CK is ready to play at G... Why would you not put him at LG and then Urbik back to his regular spot at RG? Then at least you don't have two rookies next to each other. Amirite?

In turn tho, that could make both sides of the line weak. Double edged sword...

My one complaint about Orton is that he occasionally loses track of the time and gets sacked when he should just throw the ball away. Maybe this will be the wake-up call he needs to stop doing that.

He doesn't lose track of time. He's waiting for his receivers to get to their spots. The O-line has to do its job.

He doesn't lose track of time. He's waiting for his receivers to get to their spots. The O-line has to do its job.

There are some times where it seems to be on orton. He holds on to it what seems like all day. Granted, it isn't common with him. Maybe 3 times a game. But it is frustrating when it happens.

And the oline is definitely the biggest problem with the offense right now.

While I understand the sentiment, they never even tried it to see. If in 2 weeks they think he's a possible starter.... Well.... Should they have seen the writing on the wall or noticed the skill sets in August is a different question than should he have been ready day 1 at rg

got to agree.

this staff, at least on offense, appears to get a little overwhelmed and struggles to see the tree in the forest. Yes they do get there, but it takes them a little more time to my liking and maybe yours as well.

It's the NFL--any QB should feel fortunate to get 3-4 seconds, which Orton has most of the time.

He has a penchant for holding the ball longer than that and (sometimes) taking sacks...that's not on the OL.

If he's expecting to have 5 seconds to throw in the NFL, he's nuts.

While I understand the sentiment, they never even tried it to see. If in 2 weeks they think he's a possible starter.... Well.... Should they have seen the writing on the wall or noticed the skill sets in August is a different question than should he have been ready day 1 at rg

They noticed his skill set before the draft. I think everyone believed he'd be an OT. But Henderson showed so well, then Glenn comes back... CK struggled in camp. So the coaches didn't trust him enough to activate him. He wasn't ready to play any position on the line in August. But he's been practicing all this time and it seems like he's gaining some trust from the coaches. If Richardson was playing this week, CK would probably still be inactive, but the fact we are hearing good things about him from the coaches means things are moving in a positive direction.

The thing that stood out to me was Marrone saying CK is moving well. Indicates he's either in better condition or the game is slowing down for him and he's understanding the game better. Marrone did say back in training camp he would put his best linemen on the field, regardless of position. Henderson isn't moving from RT, and they have massive issues at the OG spots so if CK has improved as much as they claim it would make sense to try him at OG. Maybe, unlike Pears, he won't get rag-dolled on a series by series basis.http://gifsoup.com/view/5134639/erik-pears-vs-any-dt-in-the-nfl.html#prettyPhoto

Edited by purple haze

Marrone saying he likes a lot of what he sees tells me it's possible CK is showing he may be winning the position from Pears. It sounds like he's definitely going to see the field not just be active.

The kid was rated as a top 5 OT prospect. It's possible he's better suited for Guard in the pros. All the 'experts' got Glenn wrong thinking he was a better fit for Guard. Plus I really like his attitude. Seems mature and has leadership qualities Marrone noticed and acknowledged during OTAs.

I'm excited about this.

Edited by Big Blitz

You cant love people in slices folks...you gotta take the good with the bad

- Orton has arm talent....

- Orton knows what he wants on the field and executes it

- Orton is playing well

- Orton will at times hold the ball till the last possible second waiting for something good to open up

Orton does NOT have 3 to 4 seconds as has been stated here.....has to deal with a running game that isnt working......and his pocket is often not "clean"

How do you fix this? Improve the line to include the blocking from the TE (which Chandler sucks at)

My top priorities for this off season would be a TE that can do it all and better OG play

- Orton is playing well

- Orton will at times hold the ball till the last possible second waiting for something good to open up

Orton does NOT have 3 to 4 seconds as has been stated here.....has to deal with a running game that isnt working......and his pocket is often not "clean"

How do you fix this? Improve the line to include the blocking from the TE (which Chandler sucks at)

My top priorities for this off season would be a TE that can do it all and better OG play

I don't agree with the idea that he's not getting time; he quite often has plenty of time. I have always felt that OLs generally get far too much blame for sacks. I encourage folks to run an experiment for themselves and time the dropbacks next game--see how often he has at least 3 full seconds before he's pressured...I'd wager it's a much greater percentage of the time than you'd expect.

I do however agree that that's mutually exclusive from the idea that the OL (specifically the guard spots) needs to be better.

Lastly I feel it's important to note that I'm fine with Orton's level of play.

Edited by thebandit27

I think players earn their opportunities in practice, there is too much riding on each game to take such a risk. We all saw how poorly he played in preseason, if he practices all week and plays as bad as he did before, it's a possible disaster. Coaches can't afford mistakes like that.

It really comes down to the fact that we have severe deficiencies at the line, and there isn't much you can do about it once the season starts. It's frustrating to watch, and we can throw out suggestions, but for the most part, we're stuck. You hope the rookies progress quickly but it's a lot to hope for.

I do not believe that is true. The Bills have the same members for the line they had under Gailey(outside of RG), Marrone refuses to play them in the same position. I am not sure why but there are a bunch of vets who know how to handle stunts, pulls and screens. The only thing that would need to be determined is who to stick in at RG.

I don't understand Marrone's reluctance to try this other than he thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Thing is it is really doing the opposite.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I really don't think we could do much worse than Pears at right guard. What the heck, it's not like their would be an increase in missed blocking assignments, tackles for a loss or sacks given up

I have been of the same opinion.

But one of the problems i have also noticed is that the line has communication issues too much.

Hope it improves with Ortons 5th game . Lets hope they coached him up pretty good if they are putting him in. He is a smart kid seemingly

It's hard to believe the guy on film in college is the same guy who was routinely whiffing earlier this year with the Bills. I hope he's figuring it out, whether it was the speed, different position or health. He did not look like an NFL player, but I think he's got more to show.

It really did appear he was overwhelmed mentally. Pretty badly too. (looks to Whaley sternly )

But you gotta hope the guy has been getting the extra attention from the coaches , as Pears play has been less than adequate generally.

speaking of Captain Obvious ......

Houston AND Hali. at least its not the blind side .

- Orton is playing well

You see this is where football and love diverge :lol:

The NFL is ALL ABOUT the appreciation of players in slices.

FE: Marcus Easley.....love him on ST. Hate him at WR.

Or: Gilmore in press man coverage versus Gilmore in off-zone.

The problem is that at the QB position if you don't love all or at least ALMOST all of it then you don't have a franchise QB......and you don't have to love that. They aren't your children, they are guys being rewarded handsomely to do a job.

As for top priorities, if you don't have that franchise QB that always needs to be #1. Easier said than done but nonetheless true.