SB Nation: It took Kyle Orton 10 years,but he finally found his way

YoloinOhio

I don't know about anyone else, but I see Orton as "the best option right now" not "the answer".

We're still only 5-3, with some victories over a couple weak teams. Time will tell us if he's "the answer" or not, but for right now, he's our best option.

Totally agree. He is the best option and has lot of talent surrounding him. However, given Orton's history of being a ~0.500 starter, I would be cautious of any over-optimism. First things first - make the playoffs.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SBNationNFL: It took Kyle Orton 10 years, but he's finally found his way http://t.co/U5a3BDb0wi

http://www.sbnation....yle-orton-bills

It took Kyle Orton and the Buffalo Bills years to find stability and start winning games. There's a lesson in there for the Jets and Geno Smith.

That they should have signed Kyle ?

Again its being missed, I dont' give a damn how good a kid EJ is, I don't care how much he wants to learn, how hard he works bottom line....he will never have it! Christ folks, the kids brain just can not process info fast enough and it NEVER has. The knocks on him coming out of HS And College is he cant' read a defense, slow eyes, etc. Great kid, love how hard he WANTS to be a QB, but want isn't going to get it done. My fear is we spend 2 years making the playoffs with Orton then waste 5 more showing EJ doesn't have it even after sitting for 2 years.

Cut bait with EJ this offseason, admit and realize it was a bad draft choice and move on

Which will show further how inept this front office is. Park the Ego, admit the mistake, cut him and move on

This was not the consensus in the scouting community. It was a myth spawned by the armchair GMs in the blogosphere, right up there with Fisher's "one-read offense." No truth to it at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Even with Vick they could have signed Orton, no ? Hence my point that they placed a lot of trust in Vick to not go after Orton. Orton was clearly the safer backup option.

Idzik was too busy not signing starting CBs to worry about not signing a decent backup QB.

My biggest concern with Orton was that he was just a mediocre journeyman. It appears that the time he has spent has been spent well and he may be better than I thought. (I hope so!)

I wouldn't say that, though I can see where people come up with it. Orton has always been a victim of circumstance. For example, Jay Cutler had similar numbers in his first year in Chicago to Orton's final year there with similar skill position and OLine talent. Cutler's negative plays (picks, sacks) were much worse. Chicago realized that it wasn't just QB play that was holding them back, it was a lack of talent at WR and OLine.

The Denver situation was a little weird and destined to go the way it did because teams don't spend 1st round picks on QBs and then not play them. The season he got benched he had more than twice as many TDs as interceptions and averaged 281 yards passing per game (Tebow averaged 72 YPG. SEVENTY TWO).

Orton reminds me a little of Phil Simms. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have the Tuna with him at any point. Is it a coincidence that Marrone is essentially from that tree?

I wouldn't say that, though I can see where people come up with it. Orton has always been a victim of circumstance. For example, Jay Cutler had similar numbers in his first year in Chicago to Orton's final year there with similar skill position and OLine talent. Cutler's negative plays (picks, sacks) were much worse. Chicago realized that it wasn't just QB play that was holding them back, it was a lack of talent at WR and OLine.

The Denver situation was a little weird and destined to go the way it did because teams don't spend 1st round picks on QBs and then not play them. The season he got benched he had more than twice as many TDs as interceptions and averaged 281 yards passing per game (Tebow averaged 72 YPG. SEVENTY TWO).

Orton reminds me a little of Phil Simms. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have the Tuna with him at any point. Is it a coincidence that Marrone is essentially from that tree?

Excellent points.

When the Bills first signed Orton, it turned out to be a great way to weed out the true idiots on this site. Anyone who said, "But he got benched for Tebow, so he sucks," immediately lost every shred of credibility.

I guess. But not one team would have done that, IMO. Neither had played much, or well, in two years.

And that is where a competent front office comes in. Vick has played in the recent past but the results should have indicated they need a better backup option.

Idzik was too busy not signing starting CBs to worry about not signing a decent backup QB.

Much to Revis' delight, I am sure.

If KO plays like this the 2nd half of the season I would expect him to be the QB of this team for the next 4-5 years.

IMO, this is not far-fetched. What we are seeing now is that playing QB effectively in the NFL may be more about experience and cognitive information processing ability than raw athletic talent, although obviously no one is going to play QB in this league without being a very good athlete. As a result, the QBs who are performing at the highest level are the ones with the most experience (Brady, Manning, Brees, C. Palmer, Romo, etc.) and the younger QBs, while talented, are stuggling (C. Newton, Kaepernick, Tannehill). I don't know if this is because the game has changed so much or because there are just a lot of talented older QBs around right now. I expect it is a combination of both factors, but it bodes well for guys like Orton.

I have been saying it since the EJ benching.....

There may not be a need to get crazy about bringing in a QB in the offseason......because we right now have what we SHOULD have had since we draft EJ and then Kolb went down.....

EJ was raw....REALLY raw......it doesnt mean he doesnt have a boatload of talent (I always thought he did) he simply was not ready to be a starting NFL quarterback.

What they SHOULD be doing is address OL and TE.......WR appears to be set....we have one of the best defenses in the league......

And that is where a competent front office comes in. Vick has played in the recent past but the results should have indicated they need a better backup option.

You had Geno Smith as your starter though. Like EJ, they didn't want to automatically crush his confidence but find out if he was their guy. I always thought Geno sucked so I am not defending it. I just don't see any GM in the league that had the situation the Jets had, then going out and getting Vick as a backup (when there was really no one out there willing to be a backup) and then signing Orton in late August for 11 million. That was his demand. There is no team that would do that. The Bills had no backup, and a QB playing poorly in preseason. They HAD to sign a vet and ultimately did the right and best thing. But I can't at all blame the Jets for not giving Orton 11 million when they already had Geno they wanted to start, and Vick at 5 m. Orton probably would have turned them down, too.

i love the way Orton is playing right now. And I think he definitely does have a chance to be a playoff QB.

But we shouldn't underestimate the fact that Sammy Watkins is making Orton's resurgence 100% easier.

I don't think he was looking for job and contemplating retirement. Or he just wanted to skip the preseason. Either way, it worked out in the Bills favor for once...

I read an article a few weeks back about Orton & some Dallas fans made comments about how Orton faked retirement & really screwed them over. Gosh, that really broke my heart !!!!

I assume you're talking about 2010 when he threw 20 tds and 9 picks. The reason he got benched was because he threw 3 picks AND lost a fumble (27.1 rating) against a mediocre Cardinals team. http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=301212022

Tebow played the final 3 games after that and threw for 651 yards (not sure where you got the 72ypg from).

The next year (2011), Orton started the first 5 games and went 1-4, throwing 8 tds and 7 picks. It wasn't like he was playing great and the Broncos just dumped him solely to try out a young qb. And you can't blame the lack of weapons around him seeing as he had decent receivers in Lloyd and Decker. Thus, I don't see how anyone could have predicted he would be having a great season 3 years later for another team.

Edited by rsherman12

Wow, Kirby Jackson! 4-5 years? I love how Orton has played for us, and if he continues to have this type of success I'm sure the Bills will keep him. I just don't see him being here that long.

Eventually the Bills will want to go with Manuel again.

If we remain competiitive this year & make the playoffs next year, he'll be the starter for at least 3 years.

I assume you're talking about 2010 when he threw 20 tds and 9 picks. The reason he got benched was because he threw 3 picks AND lost a fumble (27.1 rating) against a mediocre Cardinals team. http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=301212022

Tebow played the final 3 games after that and threw for 651 yards (not sure where you got the 72ypg from).

The next year (2011), Orton started the first 5 games and went 1-4, throwing 8 tds and 7 picks. It wasn't like he was playing great and the Broncos just dumped him solely to try out a young qb. And you can't blame the lack of weapons around him seeing as he had decent receivers in Lloyd and Decker. Thus, I don't see how anyone could have predicted he would be having a great season 3 years later for another team.

In 2011 that was a new coach(John Fox) who changed the offensive system to a run heavy scheme going away from the shotgun passing that Mcdaniels ran the a year earlier .Orton was supposed to be traded the Dolphins prior to training camp but the Miami owner nixed the deal at the last minute and so they were forced to keep him and start him or cut him as everyone knew he as better than tebow . But he was not running a system based around his strengths and the continuing development of him as a qb . Orton outside of the tebow crap seems to have been a competent QB