SB Nation: It took Kyle Orton 10 years,but he finally found his way

YoloinOhio

@SBNationNFL: It took Kyle Orton 10 years, but he's finally found his way http://t.co/U5a3BDb0wi

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/28/7079115/geno-smith-jets-michael-vick-kyle-orton-bills

It took Kyle Orton and the Buffalo Bills years to find stability and start winning games. There's a lesson in there for the Jets and Geno Smith.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling quote for me:

Manuel added: "People may see what he is doing on the field right now but they don't see his approach. The way he speaks to the offensive coordinator (Nathaniel Hackett), the way he talks to everybody in the quarterback room, the way he talks to all of the offensive players. He lets you know what he expects. No, he demands it. It has become a collective thing. Kyle will go through all of the plays with the coaches during the week and be very clear about 'I like that' or 'I don't like that.' I'm watching. I'm learning. Every practice. Every play in every game. I'm always prepared if my number is called. But I am definitely learning how to do some things by watching him.''

Says to me that EJ has/had a few things to learn about what it takes to make it in the NFL. I'm not saying this to knock him; he's a good kid and a hard worker. I'm merely saying that EJ may not have learned this type of thing without a veteran who knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL and is willing to lead by example. Whether or not that ever helps EJ on the field, who knows?

"I knew I had to play well,'' Orton said. "I had to play smart. I don't know everything, but I've been around. When you are a young quarterback, it's all big. You think you know how to prepare, but you really don't know how to prepare. I'm excited about where we are going.'

It's why it's dumb to give up on EJ too. But we need to see this thing through on Orton before we give him a Jauron extension. He's started off hot before. I think he was like 5-0 in Denver. What separates the good NFL QBs and the average ones is consistency. Hopefully, Orton finishes strong.

Nice find!

We all suspected that watching Kyle would be a good learning experience for EJ. It's good to get confirmation. EJ seems to be studying Kyle closely - not just Kyle the player, but Kyle the leader.

Kyle's own evolution as a QB makes me hopeful for the current Bills with Orton under center but also for the future Bills with EJ under center.

"What has happened to EJ, some of what Geno Smith is going through, it happened to me early in my career... There is always a lot of stuff you could worry about. If you let yourself do that, that is when you get into trouble... I'm throwing the ball better now than I ever have in my life. I'm thinking in games as well as I ever have.''

Great stuff, and it just shows how lame the current coaching staff is, and its just a darn shame that the Bills didn't have a better OC to actually help Orton. The sky could be the limit with proper coaching, and some talented OG's.

How the eff was EJ supposed to learn anything from a dork who is clueless. He is now learning from Orton tho.

Orton has been a revelation. He has been what Alex Smith was to KC last year. A smart, leader who took his lumps early in his career. He has all of the physical (and mental) tools to play the position. We are very fortunate to have him. I for one thought that he would be a stopgap until they could get someone (like Bradford) next year to play the position.

If KO plays like this the 2nd half of the season I would expect him to be the QB of this team for the next 4-5 years. If you extrapolate his numbers over the course of the season you are talking a 67.4% completion percentage, 4512 yards, 36 TDs and 12 INTs with a 104 rating. That would be the highest completion %, most yards and most TDs a Bills QB has ever had in a season.

Really great article. The Bills lucked out (for once) at the QB position - I can't believe this guy was just sitting on the FA shelf in late August.

That said, I'd still like to see Orton get in a bit better shape. He'll never be a sprinter, but he does not move around well and part of it I think is that his legs and cardio are not up to where they should be. (It's a minor complaint - I love the guy.)

Orton has been a revelation. He has been what Alex Smith was to KC last year. A smart, leader who took his lumps early in his career. He has all of the physical (and mental) tools to play the position. We are very fortunate to have him. I for one thought that he would be a stopgap until they could get someone (like Bradford) next year to play the position.

If KO plays like this the 2nd half of the season I would expect him to be the QB of this team for the next 4-5 years. If you extrapolate his numbers over the course of the season you are talking a 67.4% completion percentage, 4512 yards, 36 TDs and 12 INTs with a 104 rating. That would be the highest completion %, most yards and most TDs a Bills QB has ever had in a season.

I think that's the test because Orton has really done that yet. His career high in tds is 21, and things tend to even out.

But it would be a huge break if he somehow turned the page at this point in his career. Given the league rules, it's not completely crazy either.

Really great article. The Bills lucked out (for once) at the QB position - I can't believe this guy was just sitting on the FA shelf in late August.

That said, I'd still like to see Orton get in a bit better shape. He'll never be a sprinter, but he does not move around well and part of it I think is that his legs and cardio are not up to where they should be. (It's a minor complaint - I love the guy.)

Orton strikes me as a guy who will never be in good shape. Also, sometimes working out too much messing with your mechanics. See Brady Quinn.

Interestingly, I read that when he met with Cowboys and told them he wasn't coming back, they said he appeared to be in the best shape of his life. But yeah, some QBs don't look very athletic. Eli Manning is another one.

That article should make fans feel good about EJ as well. He has handled his benching with class, and better yet, he is realizing day by day why it was done.

The story of EJ's NFL career is only just beginning to be written, but the first few chapters will likely include watching Kyle Orton lead the Bills to the playoffs.

Edit: it is still quite frightening, however, to hear Whaley repeat that they believed Kevin Kolb was suitable for the Orton role a year ago.

Edited by eball

That article should make fans feel good about EJ as well. He has handled his benching with class, and better yet, he is realizing day by day why it was done.

The story of EJ's NFL career is only just beginning to be written, but the first few chapters will likely include watching Kyle Orton lead the Bills to the playoffs.

Edit: it is still quite frightening, however, to hear Whaley repeat that they believed Kevin Kolb was suitable for the Orton role a year ago.

Good point but I jsut don't know who the better choice for a backup was last year. Kolb was Kirk Cousins at one point and was experienced. Obviously, he can't stay healthy but I don't think it was a terrible decision.

I can't believe this guy was just sitting on the FA shelf in late August.

I don't think he was looking for job and contemplating retirement. Or he just wanted to skip the preseason. Either way, it worked out in the Bills favor for once...

I really liked this article. Not only did I like what I read about Orton but EJ as well. Most of the quotes have been hashed out here that were great but I'll add one more from Whaley...

"He has become a big part of getting our guys expecting to win instead of hoping to win"

From EJ:

"I'm watching. I'm learning. Every practice. Every play in every game. I'm always prepared if my number is called. But I am definitely learning how to do some things by watching him."

From Orton:

"When you are a young quarterback, it's all big. You think you know how to prepare, but you really don't know how to prepare."

This not only gives me hope for Orton in the present but also Manuel in the future. My biggest concern for EJ was the apparent lack of leadership. It seems like he is learning, without pressure, how to do so. My biggest concern with Orton was that he was just a mediocre journeyman. It appears that the time he has spent has been spent well and he may be better than I thought. (I hope so!)