EJ vs Orton (stat comparison)

Billsrhody

At the midpoint, I thought it would interesting to look at what Kyle has done differently after taking over for EJ. They have both played 4 games to this point and have played a pretty similar slate of competition.

EJ

131 Attempts

58.0% Completion %

5 TDs

3 INTs

838 Yards

6.4 Yard Per Attempt

22.1% Attempts > 15 Yards Downfield

52 Rush Yards

6 Sacks Taken

Orton

141 Attempts

67.4% Completion %

9 TDs

3 INTs

1128 Yards

8.0 Yards Per Attempt

22.0% Attempts > 15 Yards Dowfield

5 Rush Yards

17 Sacks Taken

A couple of things stand out to me that weren't immediately obvious. The number of sacks that Orton has taken is pretty striking. It leads me to believe that Orton is much more willing to eat the ball when he doesnt see anything he likes. Thinking back to the games, that seems pretty spot on. EJ always tried to make a play even if there wasn't one available.

Another stat that suprised me is the % of passes attempted more than 15 yards downfield. I couldnt believe that EJ had a higher percentage. I couldnt find the completion % on those throws, but I would guess that Ortons number is much higher than EJ's.

Other than those two things, the stats read about what you would expect. A much higher YPA and Completion % go to show how much more success Orton is having at throwing the ball downfield with accuracy. Its safe to say that we've had a huge upgrade at QB over the past 4 games. Hopefully it continues!

Source - http://www.advancedf...rs/quarterbacks

Edited by Billsrhody

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the midpoint, I thought it would interesting to look at what Kyle has done differently after taking over for EJ. They have both played 4 games to this point and have played a pretty similar slate of competition.

EJ

131 Attempts

58.0% Completion %

5 TDs

3 INTs

838 Yards

6.4 Yard Per Attempt

22.1% Attempts > 15 Yards Downfield

52 Rush Yards

6 Sacks Taken

Orton

141 Attempts

67.4% Completion %

9 TDs

3 INTs

1128 Yards

8.0 Yards Per Attempt

22.0% Attempts > 15 Yards Dowfield

5 Rush Yards

17 Sacks Taken

A couple of things stand out to me that weren't immediately obvious. The number of sacks that Orton has taken is pretty striking. It leads me to believe that Orton is much more willing to eat the ball when he doesnt see anything he likes. Thinking back to the games, that seems pretty spot on. EJ always tried to make a play even if there wasn't one available.

Another stat that suprised me is the % of passes attempted more than 15 yards downfield. I couldnt believe that EJ had a higher percentage. I couldnt find the completion % on those throws, but I would guess that Ortons number is much higher than EJ's.

Other than those two things, the stats read about what you would expect. A much higher YPA and Completion % go to show how much more success Orton is having at throwing the ball downfield with accuracy. Its safe to say that we've had a huge upgrade at QB over the past 4 games. Hopefully it continues!

Source - http://www.advancedf...rs/quarterbacks

sacks are Orton's weakness....which is why his QBR stats stink, compared to his very good passer rating.

#1- he goes down like a feather

#2- he doesn't see half of them coming

forgetting the stats, he is much better than EJ.

completion % and sack ratio I think are connected. EJ might just throw a few more away to avoid the sacks (I think this is small portion of that, but worth mentioning that could be contributing to those stats).

I love me some Orton, so it's not a plug for EJ, just something to add to the convo...

completion % and sack ratio I think are connected. EJ might just throw a few more away to avoid the sacks (I think this is small portion of that, but worth mentioning that could be contributing to those stats).

I love me some Orton, so it's not a plug for EJ, just something to add to the convo...

I have to think yds per throw correlates to sacks too. Reminds me of Big Ben-- guy takes a lot of sacks in order to look for bigger pass plays.

Obviously, Orton is a much better passer at this point. I would hope when EJ is in his tenth year, he will be better. The fact that Orton has become a better QB with more experience is why you continue to develop EJ. Look at Orton's first 15 games: http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/gamelogs?season=2005 51.6%, 5.1 ypa, 9 tds, 13 ints, 59.7 qb rating and a game where he threw 0 tds and 5 ints.

I still believe anything less than a winning record and this is a mistake. But so far, especially with the first legit win, it looks good. Hopefully, EJ is learning in the meetings and from Orton. I think we finally have a team good enough where we can sit a 1st rounder on the bench and not be forced to play him.

I have to think yds per throw correlates to sacks too. Reminds me of Big Ben-- guy takes a lot of sacks in order to look for bigger pass plays.

Except Big Ben can break out of sacks. As bad as I think Hackett is, Orton can make some negative plays on his own. They are drive killers (and it's not all on him). It's the reason we struggle to score against the Lions and Vikes despite moving the ball.

Nice post!

Orton's sacks are worrisome. I'm not sure how much I agree with Papazoid that Orton goes down like a feather and doesn't see the sacks coming. He's certainly not the most elusive QB ever. Nonetheless, he seems willing to stand there waiting for a guy to come open even as the pocket collapses around him. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. I'm guessing his patience has resulted in more yards in completions than it's lost in additional sacks.

Obviously, if we had better protection from our OL, we'd have fewer sacks, even with a comparatively immobile QB. We'd probably also fewer sacks if we had a running game, and a screen game.

Obviously, Orton is a much better passer at this point. I would hope when EJ is in his tenth year, he will be better. The fact that Orton has become a better QB with more experience is why you continue to develop EJ. Look at Orton's first 15 games: http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/gamelogs?season=2005 51.6%, 5.1 ypa, 9 tds, 13 ints, 59.7 qb rating and a game where he threw 0 tds and 5 ints.

I still believe anything less than a winning record and this is a mistake. But so far, especially with the first legit win, it looks good. Hopefully, EJ is learning in the meetings and from Orton. I think we finally have a team good enough where we can sit a 1st rounder on the bench and not be forced to play him.

Except Big Ben can break out of sacks. As bad as I think Hackett is, Orton can make some negative plays on his own. They are drive killers (and it's not all on him). It's the reason we struggle to score against the Lions and Vikes despite moving the ball.

This. I said the same thing when we signed Orton. His early years were bad, if not worse, than EJ. Yet he figured it out. I am hoping the same for EJ.

2-2 vs 3-1

Bill Simmons did something fairly cool breaking down wins and losses. He has legit wins and losses; ass kicking ones wins or loss, and either/ or wins or losses.

I would say EJ was part of one AK W, EO W, and 2 EOLs. Orton has 1 AK W, 2 EO Ws, and 1 EO L. Hopefully, the Jets game is the start of something special because we simply have more talent than a lot of teams.

Obviously, Orton is a much better passer at this point. I would hope when EJ is in his tenth year, he will be better. The fact that Orton has become a better QB with more experience is why you continue to develop EJ. Look at Orton's first 15 games: http://www.nfl.com/p...ogs?season=2005 51.6%, 5.1 ypa, 9 tds, 13 ints, 59.7 qb rating and a game where he threw 0 tds and 5 ints.

<snip>

Well said, Biscuit.

Should have 10 TD's...what are the red zone stats? they have to be improved as well. But stats only tell a part of the story. Orton brings leadership and command of the huddle that was desperately needed. The way his teammates talk about his week-long game preparation and film study is impressive. The confidence the offensive coaches and players have in him says a lot. It's the non-stats that are more impressive to me. I was just thinking Stevie J and Orton would make a good combination IMO. And i still haven't given up on EJ, I think Orton is a great mentor for EJ.

Edited by ricojes

I think people aren't recognizing the fact that Orton is basically getting ready to start the regular season. I'm basing this on the fact he had no OTAs, no training camp, no preseason games, and very few first team reps before he was handed the keys. He's going to get better if our interior OLine doesn't get him killed.

I was thrilled when they signed Orton because he's a gamer and he's never been on a team that has the skilled talent that the BILLS currently have. I'm not at all surprised his stats are good and he looks like an above average guy because that's what I've always seen from him. He always been a victim of his circumstances.

Obviously, Orton is a much better passer at this point. I would hope when EJ is in his tenth year, he will be better. The fact that Orton has become a better QB with more experience is why you continue to develop EJ. Look at Orton's first 15 games: http://www.nfl.com/p...ogs?season=2005 51.6%, 5.1 ypa, 9 tds, 13 ints, 59.7 qb rating and a game where he threw 0 tds and 5 ints.

Again Ortons first 15 games are irelevant stats to compare todays qbs too as the times were totally different . Orton came into the league as a spread shotgun passer but he was drafted by a team that ran power I so he had to learn how to play under center to play for the Bears. We were running read option because of EJ who came into the league as a non passing project .

The minute Orton joined the broncos and was in a shotgun passing attack he immediately looked better because that's what he was already good at when he entered the pros .

Ej can certainly improve but we have yet to even get an idea of how his skills can translate to the NFL . In Ortons case something that was considered situational (shotgun based offense) eventually grew to be a standard.

This offseason we have to take a step back and actually what type of QB EJ can actually be in the NFL if any .