Losing to Houston was GREAT for us

DC Greg

I can't cheer a loss, no matter how hard I try... but some small part of me is thanking the football gods that EJ didn't suck his way out of a loss vs. Houston and manage to keep his tentative hold on the job. Making the change at QB is by far the best thing that's happened to this team so far this year. Orton has been very solid. Wishing EJ the best. Maybe time on the bench will help... I'm doubtful, but who knows.

In the meantime, Kyle Orton is the undisputed starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills. GO KO! GO BILLS!

Yes, I have said the same thing. Not happy for the loss, but happy the QB change was made after that loss. People the B word about "giving up" on EJ after only 4 games this season have no clue. 4 games is a quarter of the season, that's a fair amount of time. Marrone wasn't quick to pull the trigger, he had to do it before it was too late. And EJ's attitude, as far as I have seen, has been great since the benching. FJ was on WGR this morning and he stated how Orton takes command when watching film of the opponent during the week. Telling everyone what he expects from the defense and where they should be in all situations. That is something that only comes from experience and EJ will benefit from watching and learning. Now hopefully the line somehow puts it together and keeps Orton from getting killed, he takes so many hits per game, dude must seriously be sore the next day...

And Hughes. Too bad we have to fire Whaley.

:thumbsup:

I somewhat agree but if that had really wanted to make the right move at the right time, they should have pulled EJ at the half vs Houston. This is not a hindsight is 20/20 thing, it was beyond obvious by the half that EJ had absolutely no clue in that game. I honestly think they thought about it and I have NO doubt Orton would have pulled out a win that day.

I somewhat agree but if that had really wanted to make the right move at the right time, they should have pulled EJ at the half vs Houston. This is not a hindsight is 20/20 thing, it was beyond obvious by the half that EJ had absolutely no clue in that game. I honestly think they thought about it and I have NO doubt Orton would have pulled out a win that day.

This is true. The only thing I can think of is they didn't feel Orton was ready. he hadn't taken any reps with the first string and had only been on the team a short period of time. But I still think he would have been an upgrade.

Let's revisit this after we make the playoffs. IF we go 8-8, was it a great thing?

Orton had, IMO, his best game. Still, there is room for improvement. But let's not start licking our popsicles yet. Didn't Orton start off 5-0 one year and miss the playoffs? And honestly, it's not really about Orton. I still think Hackett isn't good. I would bet the times you win with 6 turnovers is damn near 100%.

You can't be losing to teams like Minnesota or letting garbage teams like the Jets hang around.

Let's revisit this after we make the playoffs. IF we go 8-8, was it a great thing?

Orton had, IMO, his best game. Still, there is room for improvement. But let's not start licking our popsicles yet. Didn't Orton start off 5-0 one year and miss the playoffs? And honestly, it's not really about Orton. I still think Hackett isn't good. I would bet the times you win with 6 turnovers is damn near 100%.

You can't be losing to teams like Minnesota or letting garbage teams like the Jets hang around.

You mean like how the Pats* let the Jets stick around?

You mean like how the Pats* let the Jets stick around?

The Jets played out of their minds against NE* and didn't committ a single turnover. What do think score is if they committed 6 turnovers and started every drive on the Jets side of the field? I think they drop like 60+ on them. I know we don't have Brady but I'd love to step on team's throats.

When Buffalo made the change even Jets fans were saying they wished Marrone was their coach since Rex didn't have the balls to bench their guy. It was a great move.

Considering the options Rex Ryan has, I am willing to give him a pass for not benching Smith quickly. Blame (err... bless) their FO for not having the foresight to sign a competent backup. Heck, Orton was there to be had but it was the Bills that got him.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

The Jets played out of their minds against NE* and didn't committ a single turnover. What do think score is if they committed 6 turnovers and started every drive on the Jets side of the field? I think they drop like 60+ on them. I know we don't have Brady but I'd love to step on team's throats.

Awesome. Let me know if the Pats dropping 60 vs the Bills dropping 40 affects their W/L.

Yes, I have said the same thing. Not happy for the loss, but happy the QB change was made after that loss. People the B word about "giving up" on EJ after only 4 games this season have no clue. 4 games is a quarter of the season, that's a fair amount of time. Marrone wasn't quick to pull the trigger, he had to do it before it was too late. And EJ's attitude, as far as I have seen, has been great since the benching. FJ was on WGR this morning and he stated how Orton takes command when watching film of the opponent during the week. Telling everyone what he expects from the defense and where they should be in all situations. That is something that only comes from experience and EJ will benefit from watching and learning. Now hopefully the line somehow puts it together and keeps Orton from getting killed, he takes so many hits per game, dude must seriously be sore the next day...

:thumbsup:

+1 By all accounts EJ seems to be a hard worker and has the opportunity to work behind the scenes and learn from Orton what he needs to. I haven't given up on EJ yet and having him sit and learn behind a veteran was the original plan anyways. I feel bad for Geno Smith, I don't know if he's good enough for this league but his situation sucks. It's obvious to me that the majority of college quarterbacks need to hold the clipboard and learn behind the scenes for a couple years to have their best chance of success.

The Bills were leading at halftime, weren't they?

Or Watt would have killed him. Orton's downside is lack of mobility and he holds the ball too long.

Well we were winning at the half in that game. I think more questions would be raised if you pulled your starter while you were winning