A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really was, too. And I never feel like that. I'm looking forward to seeing the replay. A lot of times the game looks different for some reason that seeing it live.

Same here. Maybe I just hate the Jets too much. Maybe my expectations for this team are higher than normal. But, I was sure they were trying to lose when we squandered one opportunity after another (all due to piss poor play calling, IMO), then went 3 and out before the half. Only to allow them enough time to get the long FG. Then start the 3rd, 3 and out again.

I'm ecstatic we won. I guess I just wish I had an inkling of confidence in our offensive coaching.

Lee Smith had a fantastic game today. About time. I really hoped you would have mentioned this. E threw a great block on the Summers run and was impressive in his drive on the catch for a first.

At a few points Mario, Kyle, and Marcel were on the sideline as Hughes, Bryant, Wynn and Charles took entire defensive series. This was amazing. This is something we need to keep. I am in favor of extending Hughes and spikes to do so, despite Spikes nkt showing up on stats much. I honestly believe teams don't try to run up our middle like they would if we did not have him.

Also, free on Searcy and hope Brooks can be kept for his ST abilities

I don't think he realized Woods was injured and I think is a non issue

> I honestly believe teams don't try to run up our middle like they would if we did not have him.

The above statement is true of many teams the Bills have faced. However, not all offensive coordinators are cut from the same cloth. Some offensive coordinators will use virtually all their first downs on runs up the middle. Plenty of their second downs as well. They'll keep doing this with almost brutal disregard for the results those runs produce. Even if the running game is averaging about 2 yards a carry, even if the quarterback is playing excellent football, even if practically every drive is resulting in a three-and-out, the offensive coordinators will still maintain that 2:1 ratio of running plays to passing plays.

I have seen this myself.

Same here. Maybe I just hate the Jets too much. Maybe my expectations for this team are higher than normal. But, I was sure they were trying to lose when we squandered one opportunity after another (all due to piss poor play calling, IMO), then went 3 and out before the half. Only to allow them enough time to get the long FG. Then start the 3rd, 3 and out again.

I'm ecstatic we won. I guess I just wish I had an inkling of confidence in our offensive coaching.

For me it is a cumulative thing. I have been down on them for five straight games now. It's not the play calls so much, or even the run to pass ratio, it is the theory, groupings, scheme and players they are featuring. Especially this game. We went after their strength with our weakness, and avoided their weakness while ignoring our strength. That is not smart as a strategy.

- Refreshing that we had a real announcer today in Gannon. His comments about Bills defense, and secondary were spot on. Theyre both very good

- Which brings me to my 2nd point. So sick of people trashing our secondary on this board. Gilmore and McKelvin make a strong pair. If one pass is completed against a DB, people on this board trash the guy. By that standard Deion sucked too

- Conservative game plan was right call. We have a shaky Oline, going against a strong D on the road. This game was always about letting our Defense shut down Geno & co, and the offense staying out of the way

- I dont really care about the Sammy missed TD. He'll learn and it wasnt bad. People are acting like he was doing an Ocho-Cinco, when all he did was slow down prematurely. The real takeaway is how explosive he was on that play and the TD he did get.

- Orton has all the qualities of a leader (strong arm, audibles, puts guys in position to make plays, can get the ball out quickly, doesnt play scared) EXCEPT he doesn't feel pressure at all. He simply wasn't born with that gene. This more than anything has the risk of costing us some games with him

- With the bye, I expect Bryce Brown to be worked into the game plan better against KC

- Denver about to the give Pats their 3rd loss next week. That puts us just 1/2th game behind

This is a good post. I have to laugh when I see guys screaming, Fire Hackett if we threw the ball all over like they wanted, that Jet front seven

would have had our offensive line for lunch.

Yeah, only scored 43 points. So frustrating.

Seriously, some of you people need to relax. This is a good team who wins games and has a real chance at the playoffs. This is really the best team we've had in a generation. Nothing frustrating about that.

Yes, That is what I think also.

For me it is a cumulative thing. I have been down on them for five straight games now. It's not the play calls so much, or even the run to pass ratio, it is the theory, groupings, scheme and players they are featuring. Especially this game. We went after their strength with our weakness, and avoided their weakness while ignoring our strength. That is not smart as a strategy.

I've been singing the same refrain with friends, as well. I don't have a problem with running the ball, especially when EJ was the QB. But its the predictable, basic formations and misguided game plans. Using Jackson on screens and Spiller up the gut? Repeatedly running behind the guards, when they're the weakest players on the line? And a complete refusal to correct any of the problems.

1) No turnovers! Finally. The last two weeks were brutal.

2) We forced 6 turnovers! Easily could have been 8.

3) Why isn't Chandler more consistently relevant and involved? He was a non factor today until the TD catch. This seems to happen far too often, and then every couple of weeks he shows up with 5 catches and 87 yards.

4) The D-line is very deep

5) At least half the sacks today were on Orton. He had time and space to get the ball off and just held on too long. Would love to see him throw it away more often.

Gotham Bill, Standard great stuff.

<snip>

What this game clearly demonstrates is that no team can compete unless it has a reasonable level of quarterback play. If you have poor quarterback performances your team not only doesn't stand a chance but the team is unbearable to watch.

Orton is far from being a prolific passer but he does throw a nice ball and he is accurate. He has a good feel for the pocket but he also has the mobility of a one legged stork. Without a doubt Marrone saved the season when he resolutely made the qb switch because he was not going tolerate an inadequate level of play that was submarining the offense and the team.

Marrone saved the season when he told Whaley to go out and get him a QB not named Jordan Palmer. (no offense to Jordan and for that matter our pre-season)

He caused the Mike Vick fumble at the Jet 25 yard line in the first half, that we recovered and then kicked a FG. That was a big play. His penalties were dumb. He played a good game.

No he didn't. Seriously. He was slightl below average and made a ton of mistakes that amounted to more than his good plays. His bad tackling and angles kept the Jets in it for longer than they should have been in it.

No he didn't. Seriously. He was slightl below average and made a ton of mistakes that amounted to more than his good plays. His bad tackling and angles kept the Jets in it for longer than they should have been in it.

Agree, but to be fair, as far as the angles go, a combination of Vick and Harvin are going to be hard to contain for anyone.

If you count guys taking bad angles to try to tackle Mike Vick then yes I would agree with you. 1 out of 6 or 7 players for 12 years takes good angles or doesn't get beat on play like that. I don't count those. That happens to everyone. That's what you have to deal with when you play Vick, he's a total anomaly.

He had 10 total solo tackles (and not the 10 yards down the field kind), one assist, one hurry, one forced fumble, one pass defensed. He was good the whole game overall.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I'll let Watkin's move pass...this time. That trade up i looking better every week. The better we do, the less likely the pick the Browns get will be a gamechanger. Plus, I think we need to go guard or TE, which you can get with a nice second round pick

Yup, even the Jets announcing team, after ripping the Jets in the postgame said the only reason the Jets were even still in the game in the second quarter was due to the Bills' wasting their chances.

Regarding Mike Williams, I don't buy that he was clowning Woods with or about his injury. Last week he was very supportive of him and Hogan after their respective fumbles against the Vikings.

Spot on. I interpreted his laughing as trying to coach up Sammy and nothing more. So far this year I think he's been a rather mature leader of the WRs.

Love me a Bills win anytime, and I don't mind trying to establish a running identity, but when you aren't getting any first downs, you are giving the other team too many chances to come back. The Jets didn't take advantage, but I don't buy that Hackett predicted the D would shut them down completely. They were certainly having a tough time of it in the 2nd quarter. Up by 13 is not the time to be happy with 3 and outs.

Edited by flmike

I'll let Watkin's move pass...this time. That trade up i looking better every week. The better we do, the less likely the pick the Browns get will be a gamechanger. Plus, I think we need to go guard or TE, which you can get with a nice second round pick

I have to agree. I was plenty pissed at Watkins when it happened. But I immediately commented, "I think that's the last time Sammy will ever do that". Marrone said pretty much the same think in the post game presser.

I have to admit, I was pissed off for much of the game by the Bills not simply putting this thing away early. It was as if the Jet's kept handing them the game, but the Bills were saying "no please, stay in this thing." The first two Jet's TD drives were mind numbing. The Bills had several turnover opportunities---then continued to let the Jets back into the game with missed tackles.

And while Orton had a decent game, he took a couple sacks that I don't expect a QB with his experience to take. At least one put the Bills out of FG range. He definately had time to throw the ball away. But you know, I realized I was expecting too much from a career journeyman. And, finally, I decided to just enjoy the game and what was clear would be a win. And he did make the few plays that really counted in the end.

And Bill, you know I respect you and find many (if not most) of your comments on the money. But do you REALLY think Williams was laughing about Woods being injured? Seriously? I can't possibly believe that was the case, even if he was in direct competition with Woods.

With the exception of a few Jet's turnovers, this game played out completely different than I would have ever imagined. Had you told me the Bills would get two rushing first downs, nine total, and only 280 total offensive yards, yet score 43 points and win by 20, I'd have said you were crazy. But I have decided to just enjoy the win and be a happy idiot.

Edited by The Dean

This was a big win against a hated division rival, and i loved watching big mouth Rex lose it on the sidelines. Just think he used to have a team that went to the AFC Championship game 2x times. Sadly, if the Jets fired Mangini after a 9-7 season then Rex should be gone after this year.

It was really great to see the Bills not play down to a bad team on the road like they have in the past.

It was humorous watching lil TJ Graham try and get revenge against the Bills by blocking a Bill player into the stadium wall. All I could think of was "You mad bro" :lol:

I love Kyle Orton, and because he is elevating the offense all on his own shoulders its making the scrub coaches look good. Unfortunately this coaching staff will get another year, and that means another year of Hackett :sick: