The all Sam Bradford thread

EJ will be our starter next year

I have accepted that and Im ok with it

If he doesnt pan out next year, at least we will have a 1st round pick to spend on a QB and a better free agent pool

CBF

The myth that a 1st round pick nets you a franchise QB has gotten crazy. Here are the 1st round QBs selected in the last 5 drafts in the 1st round that were on the board when the Bills picked: Tebow, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, EJ, Manziel and Bridgewater. The other QBs that went in the 1st were all off the board in the top 3 (with the exception of Tannehill): Bradford, Cam, Luck, RGIII and Bortles.

Just because you have a 1st doesn't mean you even have a shot at a franchise guy. If the Bills are a 9+ win team as we suspect you are doing the same thing that you are this year, hoping to get lucky.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The myth that a 1st round pick nets you a franchise QB has gotten crazy. Here are the 1st round QBs selected in the last 5 drafts in the 1st round that were on the board when the Bills picked: Tebow, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, EJ, Manziel and Bridgewater. The other QBs that went in the 1st were all off the board in the top 3 (with the exception of Tannehill): Bradford, Cam, Luck, RGIII and Bortles.

Just because you have a 1st doesn't mean you even have a shot at a franchise guy. If the Bills are a 9+ win team as we suspect you are doing the same thing that you are this year, hoping to get lucky.

I agree and I didnt mean to imply that we would use the 1st on a QB I just meant that we will have the luxury of a 1st round pick to either trade up or use in a trade in the offseason or anything else

CBF

I agree and I didnt mean to imply that we would use the 1st on a QB I just meant that we will have the luxury of a 1st round pick to either trade up or use in a trade in the offseason or anything else

CBF

I hear you and it wasn't directed at you. Your post just got me thinking so I looked it up.

We hear all of the time on here that "you can't find a franchise QB without picking him in the 1st." In the last 5 years those are the guys that were 1st rounders when the Bills picked. There are always going to be the RW type of guys that are a little off the radar but for the most part the Bills are going to have to get lucky. A 1st round pick this year would not have gotten them a QB (unless they traded it for Bradford which 2/3rds of the board would have screamed about). It depends on the year but franchise QBS are becoming harder and harder to find.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My apologies C

From your recent posts I thought u genuinely didnt like Bradford.

We cant give up a high pick.....we dont have one.

I couldnt see us giving up our 1st rounder the following season if that is what you are suggesting

Bradford is the only thing close to a top QB that the Bills have a chance to land in the immediate and some what forcastable future he is young and has had some injuries so was Drew Brees, how many teams wish they had made a serious run at him when he became available. I don't care what it costs make the move, I don't want to be on here in a year or two reading about how we should have could have gotten him while he leads his team into the playoffs and were still in the hunt for a QB. His last 7 starts 14 tds 4 int it's a risk but he has a tremendous upside. Make the move over pay if we can give up two firsts and a fourth for Watkins, we can certainly do what ever is needed to secure Sam Bradford, Come on Doug if it can be done do it.

Edited by Martifal

But, most of the franchise quarterbacks were first round picks.

But, most of the franchise quarterbacks were first round picks.

I guess my point is that we need to change this to most franchise QBs are top 4 picks: Eli, Rivers, Cam, Ryan, Luck, Peyton, Stafford, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Bradford, RGIII, and Bortles.

I am saying that the: Bills, Jets, Texans, Bucs, Titans and Browns don't have a QB at this point that they would consider a franchise guy. They are all in the market. That means that at this point there are 26 starting spots probably locked up and just about half were top 4 picks. Another 6 (Rodgers, Cutler, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Ben and Flacco) were 1st rounders after the top 4.

If you were to go back to 2004 and count the number of 1st round QBs after the top 4 that haven't panned out yet: Quinn, Losman, Gabbert, Weeden, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, EJ, Campbell, Leinart, Manziel, Sanchez, and Freeman. 68.5% of the 1st round QBs in the last decade after the top 4 haven't turned into franchise guys.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I guess my point is that we need to change this to most franchise QBs are top 4 picks: Eli, Rivers, Cam, Ryan, Luck, Peyton, Stafford, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Bradford, RGIII, and Bortles.

I am saying that the: Bills, Jets, Texans, Bucs, Titans and Browns don't have a QB at this point that they would consider a franchise guy. They are all in the market. That means that at this point there are 26 starting spots probably locked up and just about half were top 4 picks. Another 6 (Rodgers, Cutler, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Ben and Flacco) were 1st rounders after the top 4.

If you were to go back to 2004 and count the number of 1st round QBs after the top 4 that haven't panned out yet: Quinn, Losman, Gabbert, Weeden, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, EJ, Campbell, Leinart, Manziel, Sanchez, and Freeman. 68.5% of the 1st round QBs in the last decade after the top 4 haven't turned into franchise guys.

You might also add the Eagles to that, and possibly Redskins as well.

You might also add the Eagles to that, and possibly Redskins as well.

I actually thought about both of them. I left them off thinking that they would like to upgrade but aren't actively looking. If the right guy fell in their lap they would take it but are okay with what they have. Those other teams are pretty much on record that they are looking.

It kind of worked too because one guy was a top 4 guy and 1 later.

EJ will be our starter next year

I have accepted that and Im ok with it

If he doesnt pan out next year, at least we will have a 1st round pick to spend on a QB and a better free agent pool

CBF

you do yoga and sh== dont you ?

or do you find peacefulness from Brador and Moosehead Dry

for $15m+ and having to lose Hughes and other FAs they can keep him.

depends on how much he wants to be compensated. he's had some big contracts and hasn't lived up to them. i definitely wouldn't trade for him, he's not worth his current contract. is he going to want a lot of guaranteed money? i wouldn't give him any big money up front, he's hasn't been healthy enough to deserve it. if he's willing to come in on a Kyle Orton type contract where let's see if you end up starting and if you do there's more money for you next year type deal then definitely! iI think if he looks around the league he will see this is his best opportunity. we have a good young team and he could really rejuvenate his career here and then the big money will soon follow. if he's willing to compete for the starting job and earn his money then by all means sign him! if he's looking for a desperate team to give him tons of up front money again then no thanks

sure. sounds good. get er done dougie

Yeah it does. They like to stockpile picks and then waste them. I could see them trading picks for Bradford

they have 10 draft picks, and I don't think they really want to bring in 10 rookies especially since none would be a starting QB. I can see it too because they have a ton of cap space but have a hard time convincing FAs to go there even if they overpay. A trade eliminates that issue.