Report: Pegulas Looking to Bring Consultants for Bills Transition

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Wolf PLEASE!!!!

I would go with the more dramatic approach of sliding a check across the table with nothing on it but my signature

CBF

I'm really hoping Pegula brings in someone who can be considered an expert immediately to review the organization and Ron Wolf would be a good choice.

I'm not so sure about Gruden. He's been there done that and may not have the burning desire to do it again. He may be too comfortable with his media job to want to put in the needed time to win another Super Bowl.

This is a very professional approach, I would do the same myself. When making this kind of assessment of a major investment, I would bring in at least two different consultants, as a difference of opionion would be informative for the new owners. (did that a couple of times in my corp career when there were a lot of Chips on the table) It always pays off to get varying views......and, this is a little bit unusual....in that the Sabres are also in the consideration when marketing issues are discussed.(like the Illich family in Detroit, Tigers and Red Wings)

This board focuses on the football side of things....but the business side will get the same scrutiny, trust me on that. And, the names mentioned may not be that expertise....so stay tuned on possible various reports or multiple consultants.

Finally, as much as I value the advice of good consultants.....you have to remember " A consultant tells you what time it is with your own clock" . I would list attribution as that is not my quote, but I don't know who said it......(I think that means listen to your own people also, in addition to what the consultants might advise)

Edited by bigK14094

I don't disagree, but franchise QBs are not easy to find. The Bills have had one in their 55 year history. Kemp was a good game manager, smart, had a great running game and very good defense. Joe Ferguson was a gamer, but franchise? So the only real franchise QB was Kelly.

You can say this about most NFL teams. Most have had one or two franchise QBs. If you count Bledsoe the Pats have had two, the Jets one and the Dolphins two.

I do believe that it should be easier today than in the past. Free agency helps, and the rookie pay scale means that you can take a shot in the first round. If your wrong it is not a financial disaster.

The Bills once had a guy named Daryl Lamonica, I would consider him a franchise quarterback, but we let him go.

just as long as the bills don't have to tank for 2 years. i can really only stand 1 buffalo team doing that at a time

also where's the senator to suggest mike leach?

Look in the Who's the Next Coach? thread

Gus Malzahn is the answer if we are hiring a new coach.

OC? Maybe. HC? Well, again maybe. But I have a real problem with hiring a guy who has absolutely zero NFL experience as a HC. With the possible exception of Chip Kelly (looks good, but still early in his career) I can't think of any college coach who has come directly to the NFL with zero NFL experience and been successful. Am I missing someone?

I want to see Hackett gone and a more experienced OC in the position if at all possible. I could live with Marrone staying if that happened.

the potential problem with that is Marrone may balk at firing Hackett as he was brought along with Marrone from Syracuse, if I am not mistaken.....a la Wade Phillips refusing to can his ST coach/crony. For the life of me, I cannot understand why/how Marrone does not or cannot see the problems of this OC that all of us armchair QBs do......

OC? Maybe. HC? Well, again maybe. But I have a real problem with hiring a guy who has absolutely zero NFL experience as a HC. With the possible exception of Chip Kelly (looks good, but still early in his career) I can't think of any college coach who has come directly to the NFL with zero NFL experience and been successful. Am I missing someone?

Harbaugh

The game has changed. The NFL used to influence college but now it's the other way around. All of the innovation is being done at the college level (spread, read option, etc...). He is the perfect choice for the Bills. It will be nice to have someone with an offensive background that out schemes the guy across the field.

Harbaugh

The game has changed. The NFL used to influence college but now it's the other way around. All of the innovation is being done at the college level (spread, read option, etc...). He is the perfect choice for the Bills. It will be nice to have someone with an offensive background that out schemes the guy across the field.

Both Harbaugh's had prior NFL coaching experience.

While the "influence" goes both ways (and I agree the college game looks to be influencing the NFL game a bit more now) it's typically too much to ask a College HC to not only enter the NFL but to be in complete charge. It isn't a matter of knowledge to much as it is the building of relationships, IMO. But whatever the reason, those who have come into the NFL with zero prior experience have tended to be failures.

Edited by The Dean

Both Harbaugh's had prior NFL coaching experience.

While the "influence" goes both ways (and I agree the college game looks to be influencing the NFL game a bit more now) it's typically too much to ask a College HC to not only enter the NFL but to be in complete charge. It isn't a matter of knowledge to much as it is the building of relationships, IMO. But whatever the reason, those who have come into the NFL with zero prior experience have tended to be failures.

Harbaugh spent a year or 2 as a QB coach, Kelly had none, Carroll was a mess in his first stint. It is just different now then 5-10 years ago because of innovation. People used to scream for guys with pro experience and you end up hiring the Lovie Smith's, Norv Turner's and Romeo Crennel's of the world. Take the guy that is the innovator and you will win.

Harbaugh spent a year or 2 as a QB coach, Kelly had none, Carroll was a mess in his first stint. It is just different now then 5-10 years ago because of innovation. People used to scream for guys with pro experience and you end up hiring the Lovie Smith's, Norv Turner's and Romeo Crennel's of the world. Take the guy that is the innovator and you will win.

Those 2 years in the NFL are what I'm talking about. I really believe it help prepare you for the NFL, so you can concentrate on your job, and not just getting the lay of the land.

Remember, Spurrier was an innovator, too. And he was a famous flame out. It's going to take more than Chip Kelly (and I'll wait for him to have more success, too) before I start believing in hiring coaches with no previous NFL experience. Let the guys come into the NFL and coach a position, or perhaps as a coordinator. There is something to be said for earning the job. That never goes out of style as far as I'm concerned.

Those 2 years in the NFL are what I'm talking about. I really believe it help prepare you for the NFL, so you can concentrate on your job, and not just getting the lay of the land.

Remember, Spurrier was an innovator, too. And he was a famous flame out. It's going to take more than Chip Kelly (and I'll wait for him to have more success, too) before I start believing in hiring coaches with no previous NFL experience. Let the guys come into the NFL and coach a position, or perhaps as a coordinator. There is something to be said for earning the job. That never goes out of style as far as I'm concerned.

One notable difference between Spurrier and Kelly is the amount of hours of preparation that each of them spent studying film/formulating strategy. Spurrier was very light in this regard as opposed to Kelly who works his butt off to game plan and study opponents.

BxH0g3CIUAAXhIA.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz