Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Bottom line on Orton...

Offense sucked weeks 2-7 with both Orton and EJ. One game of 4 TD's when our defense got us 6 turnovers does not erase his previous outings where the offense was inconsistent and Orton was inconsistent. He was 2 plays away from starting off 0-3.

Orton is the right guy to start for us now, but he has not played nearly at the level of his mythology on this board suggests. He is already signed for 2 years and his performance is about on par with what he is making.

Does anybody realize that he can opt out after this year?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've been around awhile..... all dead horses are fair game. I'd hate to be a dead horse. (For a lot of reasons.)

I don't know if Orton is the answer or not, but he sure is an improvement!

Agreed. I think the youngsters are responding to him.

I might also include this is a boon for Hackett. Who is also nearly a rookie of sorts.

best thing that has happened for the Bills. he might not be all that but

But this is a right place right time scenario by a country mile

Does anybody realize that he can opt out after this year?

That actually concerns me a lot. He always seems to wind up on his feet.... and with more money in the bank. Hopefully he sees a ton of opportunity to suceed here and we can get a fair deal.

Just stop with the air yards per attempt stat like it's something that Orton and his agent are gonna cite when they negotiate a contract. It's laughable.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know (or care) what Orton or his agent will cite. I do care about the quality of his performance. Air yards per attempt is one way of measuring that. Given the quality of the Bills' receiving corps, it's easy for yards per attempt to get inflated with a lot of YAC yards. Last I checked, Orton's yards per attempt for the season is hovering around 8.0. That's higher than the career average of either Manning or Brady. I don't think that anyone is arguing that Orton is playing above the level you'd usually expect from Manning or Brady. But yards per attempt makes it look that way, because guys like Watkins are very good at generating yards after the catch.

Thus far this season, Orton has the 10th best air yards per attempt stat. That means that the strong performance indicated by his yards per attempt stat isn't just a mirage, created by his receivers' excellent ability to generate YAC. It means the guy has legitimately been producing yards through the air.

He was terrible against Detroit, and we lost that game except no one told the Detroit kicker.

Enough of this Detroit kicker already. Kyle gift wrapped a TD and dropped in their DB's lap for an easy pick 6. Our own FG kicker missed one in that game as well. We gave them more points than they gave us.

He had a terrible game against a woeful 1-6 Vikings that had a rookie QB making his first road start of his career in Buffalo. It took a last second heroic, set up by the D, to steal that win.

Vikings were 2 - 4 coming into that game. They are now 4 - 5. If they had been able to hold onto that win against us, they'd have a winning record.

One stat I often see sited when talking about QBs is how many 4th quarter comebacks did they have. We're totally discounting this on Kyle. He's made it work twice for us. That's a positive. How come I keep hearing he sucks because he has to pull off these late game heroics like late game heroics aren't anything at all?

Edited by reddogblitz

Enough of this Detroit kicker already. Kyle gift wrapped a TD and dropped in their DB's lap for an easy pick 6. Our own FG kicker missed one in that game as well. We gave them more points than they gave us.

Vikings were 2 - 4 coming into that game. They are now 4 - 5. If they had been able to hold onto that win against us, they'd have a winning record.

One stat I often see sited when talking about QBs is how many 4th quarter comebacks did they have. We're totally discounting this on Kyle. He's made it work twice for us. That's a positive. How come I keep hearing he sucks because he has to pull off these late game heroics like late game heroics aren't anything at all?

Agreed. This was one of the big thing's about Luck's rookie season. He wasn't spectacular all game, but he engineered several game winning drives. And we've seen him develop more these past two seasons. Winning is winning.

Orton is a seasoned vet, so the comparison to Luck isn't quite apples-to-apples, but my point was that anyone would look at the Colts first year with Luck and call it a success, even though we saw a lot of questionable decisions from him.

You've been around awhile..... all dead horses are fair game. I'd hate to be a dead horse. (For a lot of reasons.)

I don't know if Orton is the answer or not, but he sure is an improvement!

He played better against a God awful JETS team.

Now I'd love to see the 3rd down conversion rate improve drastically.

THIRD-DOWN OFFENSE

Jets: 18th (50-of-120, 41.7 percent)

Patriots: 19th (47-of-113, 41.6 percent)

Dolphins: 22nd (34-of-88, 38.6 percent)

Bills: 27th (40-of-112, 35.7 percent) *

And PLEASE don't lay the blame on EJ who hasn't played a snap in over a month

EJ is gone this is Kyles' team

Quick-hit thought: A 3-for-12 showing on third downs drops the Bills down from 25th to 27th. There has been an improvement under Kyle Orton, however. The Bills ranked 30th through Week 4 with a 35.1 percent rate, but rank 22nd since then with a 36.4 percent rate on third downs.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Because hes Kyle frickin Orton! A middeling, journeyman QB whose been on 5 teams for a reason. Anyone who thought Orton was gonna put the team on his back and take 'em to the playoffs is fooling themselves!

Now weve burned a year of EJ's development on a season that we werent gonna make the playoffs anyways. i lay this loss at Ortons feet. He had 2:30 to get it in the endzone at the end of the game and didnt make the throws. Wheres your messiah now?

Because hes Kyle frickin Orton! A middeling, journeyman QB whose been on 5 teams for a reason. Anyone who thought Orton was gonna put the team on his back and take 'em to the playoffs is fooling themselves!

Now weve burned a year of EJ's development on a season that we werent gonna make the playoffs anyways. i lay this loss at Ortons feet. He had 2:30 to get it in the endzone at the end of the game and didnt make the throws. Wheres your messiah now?

EJ ceiling isn't even a middling journeyman, so who cares?

Man, were all pissed about this loss! Orton threw three crappy passes on that last drive. As deer in the headlights as the kid may be, you watched him enough to say he would have scored more than 13 points today.

Bench grandpa Kyle and lets see what we have in the kid now

Whenever I see a really stupid post, I always look to the post count and I'm never disappointed.

Now which team do you work for now? Mr. Pro team scout and chief talent evaulator

Shake....professionals did in fact bench him

More posts here doesn't equal quality like other forums I frequent and your post helps prove that.

Well in your case the post count def shows that some stats are correct.

Disagree. I think bbb is a fine poster.

He is.....ND is not on his level

http://auburnpub.com...cc6cc54ee5.html

The Bills were 0-4 in the red zone, including the missed opportunity at the game when Buffalo started at the Chiefs' 25-yard-line. The Bills advanced to the 15-yard-line, but Orton threw four passes into the end zone that were off the mark.

do you see a pattern yet WRT to the red zone?

those who do are objective, those who do not say the rest of us are not objective ..

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

More posts here doesn't equal quality like other forums I frequent and your post helps prove that.

Exactly. There are a ton of stupid posts from people that have thousands and thousands of posts. Those folks just seem to band together to bully and name call anybody with a dissenting opinion.

Exactly. There are a ton of stupid posts from people that have thousands and thousands of posts. Those folks just seem to band together to bully and name call anybody with a dissenting opinion.

It really drags this place down when so many posters use the "look at my post count" argument and are actually really, really bad.

I never said that more posts makes you immune from making bad posts. I am saying when I read an incredibly stupid post, I then look to the post count, and it's always a low post person.

I never said that more posts makes you immune from making bad posts. I am saying when I read an incredibly stupid post, I then look to the post count, and it's always a low post person.

The low post comment did make you seem a little chickish and petty

Man, were all pissed about this loss! Orton threw three crappy passes on that last drive. As deer in the headlights as the kid may be, you watched him enough to say he would have scored more than 13 points today.

Bench grandpa Kyle and lets see what we have in the kid now

Yes because he did not do it for the Vikings game so obviously he is incapable. He had a poor game. It happens. There are several things people can point for the loss ... one of them being Orton's decisions on the last 4 throws. But let's not overreact.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

He was awful yesterday! Missed Chandler for a touchdown. Missed Hogan open on the goal line. Missed Hogan over the middle on a key 3rd down. Threw behind Watkins on a key third down. He's better than E.J. at least for now, but there's is a reason he has bounced from team to team. On a good team he is the back-up.

He was awful yesterday! Missed Chandler for a touchdown. Missed Hogan open on the goal line. Missed Hogan over the middle on a key 3rd down. Threw behind Watkins on a key third down. He's better than E.J. at least for now, but there's is a reason he has bounced from team to team. On a good team he is the back-up.

No question Orton is having rough go of it .

The Offense has a lot of work to do. play calling is getting better in general , now execution is an issue again. I might be in the minority though

Why...because he isn't a good starting QB. We are worse in almost every meaningful offensive category, especially Points Per Game, Yards Per Game, and Red Zone Efficiency. Outside the Jets game where any backup in the league could have had 4 TDs under those circumstances, he has led the offense to an average of 15 points per game in the 5 other starts.

For comparision...Last season with rookie coaches, less overall offensive talent, a rookie QB, an undrafted rookie QB, a 3rd string QB, injuries to all our WRs, both starting RBs, and most our OL...this team averaged 21.2 points per game and averaged 47.7% in the redzone compared to 38% this year.

What is it going to take to convince people Orton is not the part of any solution? This team needs EJ to either figure it out (as he has the physical tools but hasn't had the mental part) or we need to get a QB in FA or Draft next year. Sadly, that is not easy to do and we won't make the playoffs next year either if we don't find a fix. What I do know is that Orton isn't part of a solution unless you are looking to solve a backup QB problem.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I still like the guy.........he needs to rebound, no different then Ryan Tannehill did...... or any other struggling QB

This last game doesn't prove anything to me. The OL still sucks, Buffalo is missing 2 star pass catching RB's and Sammy is less then 60%

Edited by HOUSE