Don't get your hopes up...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3-2 Bills vs. 3-2 Pats*. We've been here before,Bills fans. A chance to prove that this years squad is "different" from years past. I am hopeful, but im not getting sucked in again, and here's why:

2003: Opening day. Beat Brady and the Pats down 31-0. Finish the season 6-10, losing 31-0 in Foxborough in week 17.

2004: 9-6, heading into a week 17 catchup vs. PIT 3Rd stringers, with a playoff spot on the line. Loss.

2011: Start 3-0 after finally ending the Pats dominating streak after falling behind 21-0. Finish 6-10.

Look, I hate to be the guy looking at the glass half empty here, but we've seen this before. Hope im wrong...

Remember this? http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/170747-terrified/

Thank you!!! As I said, im not trying to be a pessimist or what have you. You can say im not a fan,.yada yada, that's fine. But I, just like many of you, were categorically euphoric after all the games/situations mentioned in my OP. But I also remember the terrible feeling of the results of each of those seasons and am just trying to say to.all fans, don't let them sick you in again either way and see the season through. We've been loyal.fans thru this 14 year drought. I want to believe this is in fact a new era with the new ownership.and things have indeed changed, but the Bills need to show me the baby. But that's just me.

don't be a prisoner of the past. This is a great time to be a Bills fan. Choose to look forward. Enjoy the present. This is a huge game and a turning point in the franchise with the new owner on board, enjoy it. We are on the upswing.

Even the ridiculous media here in enemy territory is concerned about this game coming up. There hasn't been that type of feeling around Patriots country in a long, long time. The Pats haven't fixed all of their problems in a single week. Period. There is a reason they play the games. Go Bills.

i assume they are somewhere in between how they played at Miami/KC and how they played at home vs Cincy. They didn't look good against the Raiders either.

Well... yes, that's all true, but who doesn't know that? Furthermore, isn't this exactly the kind of situation where we as fans SHOULD get our hopes up? I know I didn't become a fan in order to be grimly satisfied that my predictions of the team's mediocrity came true.

I think you're reading too much into my comments. By all means, we SHOULD get our hopes up; we NEED to get our hopes up. That is integral to the process of fandom. I was simply acknowledging that we have a LOT to prove and, as has been the case for most of this century, that proof begins with winning the division and that begins with beating the Pats*. There is nothing wrong with having high hopes and stating the obvious. They are NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

GO BILLS!!!

3-2 Bills vs. 3-2 Pats*. We've been here before,Bills fans. A chance to prove that this years squad is "different" from years past. I am hopeful, but im not getting sucked in again, and here's why:

2003: Opening day. Beat Brady and the Pats down 31-0. Finish the season 6-10, losing 31-0 in Foxborough in week 17.

2004: 9-6, heading into a week 17 catchup vs. PIT 3Rd stringers, with a playoff spot on the line. Loss.

2011: Start 3-0 after finally ending the Pats dominating streak after falling behind 21-0. Finish 6-10.

Look, I hate to be the guy looking at the glass half empty here, but we've seen this before. Hope im wrong...

Its a good thing i am old. Memory is the first thing to go.

Please change your screen handle. It does not fit you.

Truth is, even if Bills lose the game, they will still be in the thick of things. Of course they still need to prove it against the big dog of the division. But there have been enough twists & turns in the course of the last two months that prove this is not your old Buffalo Bills.

Pros and cons of a Bills win:

Pros:

Playing at home (12th man)

MLB Spikes has inside Pats knowledge, will be pumped

Orton an upgrade over EJ

Cons:

Belichek best coach in NFL

Brady an upgrade over Orton

Bills may be suffering honeymoon effect after emotional Lions win

Too close to call. Hope Bills find a way!

A pessimist? You? What would give anyone that impression?

The bolded part is a loser's mentality. People and teams that succeed don't fear failure. In fact failure is an important part of success. But you apparently are so afraid of being "sucked in" as you put it, that you'd rather not take a chance. That, my friend, is a LOSER'S MENTALITY!

People who some here call "kool-aid drinkers" are really just being upbeat and positive, even in the wake of recent disappointments. Success will be their reward.

Well, we have been losers for pretty much all of this century. Just sayin.'