Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to Sammy on the JMS. He is such a student of the game and is seriously dedicated to his craft. No limit for this guy with his talent, attention to detail, and hard work. We potentially have an all timer on our hands folks.

I'm not at all comparing Sammy Watkins to Michael Jordan, in any way, but I always remember an interesting thing I heard one day about Jordan. I think it was a sportswriter describing him, but he said something to the affect of "Michael Jordan is the best physical specimen, AND an overachiever."

I always thought that was a really interesting and accurate way to describe him. Usually overachievers lack the physical gifts so they work harder than anyone else to make up for it. Jordan was gifted but worked as hard or harder than anyone else.

Maybe Sammy is both physically gifted and an overachiever.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I say Yes.

I say that b/c I would much rather have Sammy over Ebron who the Bills would have reportedly picked.

Much tougher call is ODB jr. and the picks. I still glad we make the trade. if we feel there is a QB worth picking in the 1st do what you have to do to get him. i am not sure the Rams release Bradford. hope so though.

Edited by TDRupp

I say Yes.

I say that b/c I would much rather have Sammy over Ebron who the Bills would have reportedly picked.

Much tougher call is ODB jr. and the picks. I still glad we make the trade. if we feel there is a QB worth picking in the 1st do what you have to do to get him. i am not sure the Rams release Bradford. hope so though.

ol dirty bastard might have been able to play on the 2009 Bills.

The one point is that the Bills actually have been open with what their pick would have been if they stayed at 9.

It was not Kelvin Benjamin. Also the Brown have been open that they would have taken Sammy Watkins had they stayed put. So the Bills could have tried to trade up to 5 or 6 to get Watkins he would have been off the board at #4 By the Brown or Bills. We know what that variable would have been had the Bills did not trade up. It was the completely pedestrian and average TE, Eric Ebron.

Drafting Eric Ebron at #9 overall would have been a huge mistake. Eric Ebron was not the fastest, biggest, strongest, or best receiving TE in the draft. His ascension to a Top 10 pick was mind boggling to me. Talk about opportunity cost. You could have gotten a similar player in the second round.

So would you rather

A.) Have Eric Ebron and a Top 10 pick in 2015.

Or

B.) Sammy Watkins and give the Browns a pick in 32-16 range?

I choose B every time.

its funny how much the Cleveland media is pissed that this trade was made. "Great, they get Sammy Watkins and we get another Justin Gilbert or Kiki Mingo next year. Please shoot me now."

I would do the trade again in a heart beat. Sammy Watkins is a stud already in just 7 games. Anyone pointing out they woukd rather have Benjamin is delusional- Watkins is on a whOle different level then him. The only reason he has more yards is due to the fact Sammy had EJ as QB and was moronically used as a decoy vs NE.

I have no doubt at all that Watkins will be in the elite tier of WRs. He is the total package & can do everything: insane body control, amazing hands, explosive speed, and unreal football IQ.

The NFL is a passing league now and having an elite WR is a massive boost to an offense. Without Watkins, the Bills are 1-6. There is no way you can say any of the other WRs on this roster make that catch against DET or the plays he made on the last drive against MIN. There are very few players that can impact the game like Watkins can.

EVERYONE knew the ball was going to Watkins on that game winning pass & MIN even took a timeout to stop it. Watkins didn't care and burnt MIN best CB & demonstrated his amazing hands and body control to win the game.

I can't believe anyone here would rather have Eric Ebron over him. That is a joke to me. A player like Watkins is worth his weight in gold and I'm sure the Browns are sick to their stomach for passing on their chance to get him. It's only been 7 games & he has only scatched the surface of what he can do. Orton and him will only continue to develop together & the best had yet to come

I would probably do the trade again and ages we would be 1-6 without Sammy right now...

BUT, we'd be 1-6, with Ebron and Benjamin most likely, with a clear live on next year's first overall pick, and assured a coaching change. With the top overall pick to draft a QB with, and new ownership willing to spend $$, we might be able to finally attract top coaching talent...

Just saying, it's not so clear-cut.

I would probably do the trade again and ages we would be 1-6 without Sammy right now...

BUT, we'd be 1-6, with Ebron and Benjamin most likely, with a clear live on next year's first overall pick, and assured a coaching change. With the top overall pick to draft a QB with, and new ownership willing to spend $$, we might be able to finally attract top coaching talent...

Just saying, it's not so clear-cut.

Benjamin went at #28 of the 1st round. Ebron went at #10. How do you figure?

The only for sure thing is that they said they would've went with Ebron.

I'm still waiting for a scenario next year that we get this "top qb talent" who happens to be in this draft, and isn't already gone in the top ten picks.

As of right now the Jets (who may stick with Geno, but who knows), Tennessee (who may stick with Mettenberger, but who knows), Tampa (who may stick with Glennon/McCown, but who knows), St. Louis (who may stick with Davis/Bradford, but who knows) all have QB problems, and will likely draft ahead of our (the browns) 1st round pick this year.

I think the fact that people are so upset about giving up our 1st next year are showing their eternal optimism that we draft a stud QB like Luck who sweeps us to relevance. More often than not, it doesn't happen like that. Especially in recent years.

Edited by What a Tuel