Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

I would probably do the trade again and ages we would be 1-6 without Sammy right now...

BUT, we'd be 1-6, with Ebron and Benjamin most likely, with a clear live on next year's first overall pick, and assured a coaching change. With the top overall pick to draft a QB with, and new ownership willing to spend $$, we might be able to finally attract top coaching talent...

Just saying, it's not so clear-cut.

You'd have to be pretty god-awful, like more terrible than this year's Raiders, who have their FRANCHISE QB™. With the "worst QB" that half this board has ever seen, this year's Bills would already have been losing that race since they won two games with him.

Then you have to hope that this fictional QB of the future, 2015 edition is actually worth that #1 overall pick.

That's a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-cornerback-destroying-sammy-watkins-and-the-nfls-all-rookie-team-so-far/

The Cornerback-Destroying Sammy Watkins and the NFL’s All-Rookie Team (So Far)

a little excerpt from his writeup:

In his two non-Patriot games since Orton took over, Watkins has averaged eight catches and 104.5 yards on 13 targets a game, and he’s doing it in a ton of different ways.

The way Watkins accelerates across the field makes game tape look doctored.

Edited by NoSaint

This makes my heart swoon... :wub:

they really do love them some sammy -- which is cool to see. as much as we say he was no risk with the big trade, there was still some risk and hes doing a great job answering any and all of the questions.

Thread ender, ready: if you had two first round draft picks back-to-back years and one was Sammy Watkins, who I would be shocked is not a top 5 receiver in the NFL next season, and the other was a complete dud, would you take it? Exactly.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Furthermore, if you polled Browns fans, I'm sure they would much rather have Sammy Watkins at this point than that CB from Oklahoma St who's not even playing and an extra pick next year. Watkins was as close to a bird in the hand as just about any WR prospect that's come out in quite some time. EDIT: saw Gilbert had a better week last week but nevertheless.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Furthermore, if you polled Browns fans, I'm sure they would much rather have Sammy Watkins at this point than that CB from Oklahoma St who's not even playing and an extra pick next year. Watkins was as close to a bird in the hand as just about any WR prospect that's come out in quite some time. EDIT: saw Gilbert had a better week last week but nevertheless.

if you nail the pick, its never regrettable even if the other team does quite well. it seems like we nailed the pick.

If people think that Sammy made a 1-6 team a 4-3 team this year, it sure isn't saying much for the rest of the roster. The key is the QB, until we solve that position the ceiling for this team is no better than 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7.

This organization needs to focus on the QB position above all else. Get a franchise QB and then build the rest of the roster.

I'd much rather be sitting at 1-6 with Zach Martin at guard and starring at the prospect of picking Mariotta in the 2015 draft than finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs for the 15th straight year.

If people think that Sammy made a 1-6 team a 4-3 team this year, it sure isn't saying much for the rest of the roster. The key is the QB, until we solve that position the ceiling for this team is no better than 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7.

This organization needs to focus on the QB position above all else. Get a franchise QB and then build the rest of the roster.

I'd much rather be sitting at 1-6 with Zach Martin at guard and starring at the prospect of picking Mariotta in the 2015 draft than finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs for the 15th straight year.

Just like that. It's so simple that all but a handful of NFL teams are NOT trying to find one.

And Mariotta is not considered a franchise QB. He's just the flavor of the month.

GO BILLS!!!

Just like that. It's so simple that all but a handful of NFL teams are NOT trying to find one.

And Mariotta is not considered a franchise QB. He's just the flavor of the month.

GO BILLS!!!

How many 1st or 2nd round picks have the Bills used on a QB in the past 10 years ? --- ONE.

That's not trying, that's giving up. I want them to make the most important position in the NFL a freaking priority and stop this nonsense of trading away 1st round picks for a WR. We need a QB. I know it's not easy, but come on, ONE TIME in a decade of drafts we use our 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB and we all scratch our collective a$$es and wonder why we don't make the playoffs.

Come on, wake up, it's all about the QB !!

That new NFL rule that says you can only draft a QB in the 1st round of the 2015 draft is going to kill the Bills.

Right, as well as that rule that said the Bills could only draft TWO QB's in 1st and 2nd rounds over the past 19 years.

I think the Bills think franchise QB's just appear magically.

I think that Collins was a 2nd in 1995 and they traded a 1st for Johnson and a 1st for Bledsoe. They have used the resources just not very well.

Collins was 20 drafts ago, that's why I said 19.

I get the RJ and DB moves

My point is simple, get the right QB whatever it takes, then build the rest of the team.

I can't imagine Manuel or Orton or Tuel hoisting the Lombardi trophy, and if they can't, where is this team heading except to the land of mediocrity.

Sammy looks like he'll be great, but to what end ?

Get the QB.

Collins was 20 drafts ago, that's why I said 19.

I get the RJ and DB moves

My point is simple, get the right QB whatever it takes, then build the rest of the team.

I can't imagine Manuel or Orton or Tuel hoisting the Lombardi trophy, and if they can't, where is this team heading except to the land of mediocrity.

Sammy looks like he'll be great, but to what end ?

Get the QB.

Sammy is 21. He wont reach his prime for 5 years. Not having our 10th-20th 1st round pick in 2015 is not going to stop us from getting a QB for Sammy.

How many 1st or 2nd round picks have the Bills used on a QB in the past 10 years ? --- ONE.

That's not trying, that's giving up. I want them to make the most important position in the NFL a freaking priority and stop this nonsense of trading away 1st round picks for a WR. We need a QB. I know it's not easy, but come on, ONE TIME in a decade of drafts we use our 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB and we all scratch our collective a$$es and wonder why we don't make the playoffs.

Come on, wake up, it's all about the QB !!

I don't know if it's giving up so much as not pulling the trigger without a strong conviction that the QB available was gonna be that "10-15 year guy" as Buddy used to refer to it.

Somehow you seem convinced that Mariotta or WHOMEVER would have been available to draft next year is gonna be a better player than Watkins. The FO was not. Sammy is an elite player and none of the QB coming out are rated nearly as high as he was as a player.

Easy call to make; when you have a chance to get a player like Watkins and are convinced you're right in your evaluation, you pull the trigger every time.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9