Interesting dialogue on WR frustrations with EJ

I apologize if this has been quoted elsewhere, but I thought it was very revealing insight.....

"I pointed out last week that Manuel got one of his receivers killed against the Chargers. Poor Marquis Goodwin had to be taken off the field after being splattered by safety Eric Weddle. The crash test dummy last Sunday was Robert Woods. Manuel again threw him into a big hit against the Texans. There was only about 25 seconds left in the half from their own 48-yard line. Instead of trying to push the ball down the field, Manuel stared down Woods on a very short in-and-out route and led him right into a big hit by cornerback Darryl Morris, one of two Texans defenders just standing there waiting to take Woods' block off.

Woods' body language has clearly suggested frustration with Manuel's inaccurate passing several times this season. This time, Woods got up shaking his head as the team lined up to spike the ball. After the spike, I noticed that Fred Jackson, a team captain, made sure to stay between Woods and Manuel, talking to Woods as Manuel appeared to try to say something ... maybe apologize? Woods never even turned to look in Manuel's direction the whole time, and I can only imagine how that conversation with Jackson went.

From that point on, every time Manuel threw a pass to Woods that was off target, Woods would get up and slam the ball to the ground. His fellow receiver Mike Williams got into the act, jumping up and down in frustration after Manuel missed him on two different deep balls. I already pointed out, in last week's Notebook, Watkins' refusal to reach out for a pass that likely would have gotten him blown up. Wide receivers usually aren't the type to fight, with the obvious exception of Steve Smith, but in this instance I think they were about ready to give E.J. a "Code Red." "

WoodsHit.0.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/1/6880601/kyle-orton-buffalo-bills-ej-manuel-afc-east

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that if you look at the video it appears that both Fredex and Chandler are open for easy first downs with some extra yardage to be gained. In fact, as i watch it a few more times, Fred is completely uncovered as the safety (?, can't tell as the video is rather fast) completely sells out on the flat route BEFORE the ball is thrown....mostly because EJ is staring down that route.

Edited by Garranimal

I was at the game on Sunday and watched the body language of the receivers. They have had it. We should have seen the handwriting on the wall when he wasn't picked as a captain. Another frustrating part of his overall game is that he is a running quarterback with some moves and speed. However, call it fear, inexperience, poor coaching...whatever - he seems relegated to stay in the pocket no matter what happens. If it isn't a zone option read, he doesn't move.

Oh no, a professional athletes in full pads had to take a hit. Get over it.

I didn't see the game. Did EJ act like a pouting prima donna every time his oline forgot to hand JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans defense a tube of KY before letting them through? Doesn't speak very well of our receiving corp, IMO. Sounds like we have a few malcontents, if you ask me.

I didn't see the game. Did EJ act like a pouting prima donna every time his oline forgot to hand JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans defense a tube of KY before letting them through? Doesn't speak very well of our receiving corp, IMO. Sounds like we have a few malcontents, if you ask me.

Yup, Woods is a cry baby with a big mouth. That being said our OG play will become the biggest problem on the team when Suh literally rips Ortons head off. EJ will be practicing with the ones next week if they play as poorly as they have been on Sunday

Edited by SJDK

There's one in every thread.

So, all the receivers have it wrong and you're right? Really?

I'm not disagreeing that there is an issue, but there seems to be quite a bit of assumptions in the story. It would be good to recognize that when assessing it.

There's one in every thread.

So, all the receivers have it wrong and you're right? Really?

On the one hand, I can't blame them for being upset, but on the other it doesn't show much professionalism to act like this. Hopefully it won't be an issue but if they show any signs of this with Orton in there I hope he shuts them down.

When I played rugby, you were allowed one "buddy pass." The second one and your teammate had carte blanche to smack you up at the party after the game. Three and they would likely hit you in the game.

The problem with the WRs in the NFL is that they loose a ton of money if they 1) don't get the numbers and/or 2) get hurt. I would want my QB out, professional or not, if it was going to cost me a few million because of his mistakes.

The team is supposed to be a team, but the NFL is a business. Robert Woods could lose millions getting hurt catching garbage balls from the QB. A couple times is fine, but eventually, you're gonna stop taking the lumps for him if he isn't doing you any favors.

I apologize if this has been quoted elsewhere, but I thought it was very revealing insight.....

"I pointed out last week that Manuel got one of his receivers killed against the Chargers. Poor Marquis Goodwin had to be taken off the field after being splattered by safety Eric Weddle. The crash test dummy last Sunday was Robert Woods. Manuel again threw him into a big hit against the Texans. There was only about 25 seconds left in the half from their own 48-yard line. Instead of trying to push the ball down the field, Manuel stared down Woods on a very short in-and-out route and led him right into a big hit by cornerback Darryl Morris, one of two Texans defenders just standing there waiting to take Woods' block off.

Does "over the middle to Andre Reed" jog anyone's memory?

I can understand a receiver's frustration with off-target throws. But catching the ball and getting hit immediately is part of the WR job description, as is trying to get YAC.

I really don't think WR should be deciding which balls they will or won't bother to try to catch.