JW's Bills-Texans All-22 Review

thebandit27

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The missed deep throw to Watkins near the end - and he would have scored if it was in the vicinity because he was that much faster than the DBs charged with covering him - sticks in my craw.

That also is the one for me as it could have potentially put the Bills up 17-0. Game over if that ball is completed as it should have been.

How many first rounders on the bills play the way you expect a first rounder to play. I have 1.... And he wasn't drafted by the bills.

I expect a 1st round QB to hit open receivers and have some kind of field vision.

I also think Dareus has lived up to my expectations of being a disruptive force on the defensive line.

The missed deep throw to Watkins near the end - and he would have scored if it was in the vicinity because he was that much faster than the DBs charged with covering him - sticks in my craw.

Same here. EJ had all the time and space in the world to make that throw. And it sure looked like he considered it before the shuffle pass. That is a QB playing without confidence if I ever saw one. And lack of confidence is a dangerous thing for a QB as it festers and makes you press and worse, avoid taking chances. First time I noticed that with him, too. I'm concerned that getting his confidence back will be much more difficult than developing the other aspects of his game.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for posting the article.

My quick thoughts from this:

• Guards obviously are really bad but would like to see what happens in 2 weeks (Suh this week) when there isn't an all-pro talent across them.
  • I didnt need him to tell me how bad EJ looked or is but this magnified it by 10x. Could you imagine how good this team could be with even a Matt Ryan at QB?
  • Hackett (again maybe it was the limitations of Manuel) really needs to take advantage of the playmakers on this team. He is incredibly unimaginative on a team that has more game-breaking speed/ability then probably 28 of the 32 teams.

Looking forward to seeing what Orton can do.

Same here. EJ had all the time and space in the world to make that throw. And it sure looked like he considered it before the shuffle pass. That is a QB playing without confidence if I ever saw one. And lack of confidence is a dangerous thing for a QB as it festers and makes you press and worse, avoid taking chances. First time I noticed that with him, too. I'm concerned that getting his confidence back will be much more difficult than developing the other aspects of his game.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry guys, but to me the breaking point was a similar play last week where he had a choice of Big Mike for a TD, Chandler for a first and goal, running for first down or overthrowing Woods on a four yard pass.

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly K-9 , i am not sure it was ever developed. And thats not an accusation against anyone. Even EJ. The picking of Manuel in the first knowing he was a project is was worth discussing. Then how the QB situation fell right into the pooper with the Kolb thing ( right or wrong FA pickup too )

but the injuries.

the sudden understaffing at Bu QB. The less sudden stress of having the coaching staff overloaded trying to prep Lewis and Tuel. who also were injured.

Its just alot to overcome for a young team (new staff )

i think Manuel never got his footing. Maybe we fans thought so because we wished it to be (guilty as charged here).

The trick will be can they get him on track at the same time as we have Kyle starting.

I dont want him to get washed to sea like the rest.

Bad situation all around for him.

oops i went on a rant.

Loved Jeremy Whites review Dude is awesome really.

the game looked even more depressing than it did Sunday.

But also, on the Watt Play, the fact that he didn't even look at Watkins (and JW's confirmation that Watkins is the read on the play) tells me that EJ isn't putting in the work to get himself prepared. That's just inexcusable. That was game over.

I don't disagree that EJ earned his way to the bench, but I don't think that JW's all22 review should be the basis of any argument. Without reading what JW wrote, how exactly did he confirm what Manuel's read was on any play?

Further, how many great NFL QBs, much less young QBs could make even basic reads and throws in the face of constant pressure? I guess that we should all disregard how bad Tom Brady looked last night (and so far this season) because he has been under big pressure. Likewise, I remember Peyton Manning looking lost in the Super Bowl under pressure.

It isn't as cut and dried as many want to argue. Offense is a system that depends on:

1. QB makes fast/correct reads and makes accurate throws

2. OL provides time to read defense and get set to make throws, allows WR to run full routes and look for ball

3. WR run proper routes and make correct sight adjustments / catch passes that are within their catch radius - I never hear Calvin Johnson complain that he had to jump or lay-out for a pass.

4. Runs are productive enough to keep the defense off-balance.

5. Avoid penalties and negative plays to stay in manageable down and distance situations.

AGAIN FOR EMPHASIS: I am not arguing that EJ should still be starting at this point. However, to lay all the blame at his feet and pretend that all will be well now that the immortal Kyle Orton is starting is a joke - at least in my opinion.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Well they're ready to move on from Tom Brady up in New England….I've heard of him! Get'r Done replacement GM after Whaley gets fired this offseason! :w00t:

My friend filthymcnasty08 , i can see how you would like a brady on the Bills. Because your name suggests it.

as far as having brady. i think thats perverse . I am writing a letter to the Mods .

The only Brady i want in buffalo is the one who has just been sacked

I don't disagree that EJ earned his way to the bench, but I don't think that JW's all22 review should be the basis of any argument. Without reading what JW wrote, how exactly did he confirm what Manuel's read was on any play?

I think he (White ) mentioned that he did not know , but made an assumption.

I agree Old Timer , that Jeremy's review is not enough to reach conclusions. It can reinforce some other bits and pieces that we have seen , perceived .

JW said he was told this by a team insider. I'll assume he is telling the truth.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

JW said he was told this by a team insider. I'll assume he is telling the truth.

"Insider" covers a lot of people, many of whom would be just as clueless as we are.

I wouldn't assume anything, and take the statement with a grain of salt.

sticks in my craw.

The throw to Woods at 3:42 in the 2nd quarter. He just rushed the throw, and also threw it behind Woods to his back shoulder.

We were up 10-0, ball at the HOU 47, 3rd and 4, HOU with 2 timeouts left. If he makes that throw for a 1st down we are going to run the clock down inside 2 minutes. We would be on the edge of FG range as well. Also, most importantly, it would be very difficult for Houston to march down the field and score a TD.

We could have went into the locker room up 13-0, but that one throw allowed them back into it and at the half it was 10-7. Ugh.

"Insider" covers a lot of people, many of whom would be just as clueless as we are.

I wouldn't assume anything, and take the statement with a grain of salt.

It does seem reasonable to guess Sammy on a hot read slant to where the blitzer vacated would be a likely read there. Not a factual statement but not far out on a limb, even without a source. Fred might've been, based on something else in the read, but Sammy would be the standard in most cases

Edited by NoSaint

I didn't need to watch this all-22 to realize EJ blew chunks against the Texans - I actually thought the announcers did a pretty good job during the game of showing other WR that were open on plays where EJ just made the wrong choice. Watching the all-22 made me realize how bad our guards were too though =/

Edited by bobobonators

Also JW makes a great point on how the read option doesn't fool anyone if the QB never runs with the ball.

This has been one of the larger question marks for me on design vs execution- where/how did this go wrong? Instructed not to run, or refusing? I find it hard to believe he refused but.....

Edited by NoSaint

Honestly K-9 , i am not sure it was ever developed. And thats not an accusation against anyone. Even EJ. The picking of Manuel in the first knowing he was a project is was worth discussing. Then how the QB situation fell right into the pooper with the Kolb thing ( right or wrong FA pickup too )

but the injuries.

the sudden understaffing at Bu QB. The less sudden stress of having the coaching staff overloaded trying to prep Lewis and Tuel. who also were injured.

Its just alot to overcome for a young team (new staff )

i think Manuel never got his footing. Maybe we fans thought so because we wished it to be (guilty as charged here).

The trick will be can they get him on track at the same time as we have Kyle starting.

I dont want him to get washed to sea like the rest.

Bad situation all around for him.

oops i went on a rant.

Loved Jeremy Whites review Dude is awesome really.

the game looked even more depressing than it did Sunday.

In several previous two-minute drives in his career and including the OT drive vs. the Bears as well, EJ looked confident in where he wanted to go with the ball. I'd even go so far as to say he was pretty good moving the ball in a two-minute offense. But when I saw that throw to Woods at the end of the first half, it was like seeing an entirely different QB vs. the one I saw in those situations previously. He looked afraid of making a mistake. By the time he threw the pick 6 to start the 3rd quarter on Sunday, the transformation was complete. He was shattered from what I saw after that. Hope the kid rebounds.

GO BILLS!!!