EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

So which is it? Marrone wanted Orton or didn't want Orton??

From earlier in the thread:

This is one of those things that keeps being remembered incorrectly, thanks largely to CBS's initial ****ty job covering the story, and Saint Marrone gets unfairly criticized because of it. The argument actually happened before the Lions game, it's documented in a tweet, and was over Palmer. The rumor (never publicly confirmed) was Marrone wanted Orton (or at least a better option than Palmer).

https://twitter.com/...9581312/photo/1

La Canfora's story ( http://www.cbssports...bills-officials ) ran over a week later -- after Orton was signed -- and that's when the argument came to the forefront of the conversation and has been forever misremembered ever since. yes, I used that word, deal with it

Marrone was arguing about the quality of QBs behind EJ, that's speculation but in context of the proper timeline of the story it makes the most sense.

(This wasn't aimed at any of the quoted above, just wanted to clarify something that keeps popping up)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how wrong national reporters are still getting the "Marrone didn't want Orton" story. It's just not true, and it's entirely La Canforna's fault with his terrible reporting.

Orton was cut by Dallas on July 16th,

The Bills didn't pick him up until August 29, 2014

can't believe that Wikipedia has him listed as the starter

6 long weeks.

It's amazing how wrong national reporters are still getting the "Marrone didn't want Orton" story. It's just not true, and it's entirely La Canforna's fault with his terrible reporting.

true its the same with Orton wanting to retire . Orton wanted to play thats why he wanted out of dallas . He sees Mccown and Henne ,and Fitz getting these opportunities and knew he would have a chance to start again if he could get out from under his deal with the Boys . he waited to see who wanted him the most and in the NFL thats is who is willing to put up the dollars

I think in Marrones case it was more about the situation that of you keep bringing in all these different qbs then it looks as though you are trying to replace EJ. I dont think it was orton per say but the just a carrousel of qbs that he had a problem with .

> Ultimately what it means is that the Bills don't have a QB.

The Bills haven't had a QB since Kelly hung up his cleats. At least now they're admitting they don't have a QB. Had they made that admission this past offseason, they could have drafted Bridgewater or (with the right trade) Bortles.

> It also means that the entire organization will get blown up.

Several years ago, only one candidate was seriously interviewed for the GM position: Buddy Nix. Nix had already become part of the Bills organization, and was considered safe and familiar. Known. The same thing happened this past time around; with only Whaley getting interviewed for the job. (Again because he was considered safe and familiar.) Safe and familiar doesn't always equate to greatness.

Nor is Whaley off to a great start. In his first draft, he made the following choices:

1) Go "all in" on Manuel by drafting a WR this year and trading away next year's first round pick.

2) Use his second round pick on a guy who (thus far) appears to be a bust. An offensive lineman Bill from NYC warned us against.

3) Overpay for Chris Williams

4) Fail to solve the Bills' problems at OG

I realize general managers are normally given more time than Whaley has received. But with the exception of the Henderson pick, nothing he's done thus far suggests he's the right answer. His "all in" approach to EJ suggests he might not be the right guy to choose the Bills' next QB.

> Another GM, another coach, another QB search.

Better to keep searching until you have the right guys, than to content yourself with the wrong ones in an effort to create stability. I also have hopes that Pegula's search process will be better than Ralph Wilson's. I doubt it could be much worse.

It has been my contention for years that Ralph Wilson was the problem. Ralph was good for the league but not his own franchise. The bone headed moves are too numerous and painful to list. I hope Pegula does better. That still leaves us with years of rebuilding and I'm really sick of waiting.

It has been my contention for years that Ralph Wilson was the problem. Ralph was good for the league but not his own franchise. The bone headed moves are too numerous and painful to list. I hope Pegula does better. That still leaves us with years of rebuilding and I'm really sick of waiting.

Agreed, it will be more rebuilding and hopefully the future risks they take will generate much better results!!

Well fans on SabreSpace turned on Pegula pretty quickly so I expect the same here.

While I'm not ready to give up on Manuel, I didn't see any way he'd win this coming week in Detroit sfter the stinker in Houston. Orton probably can't either, but at least there's a shot. (Neglecting 1st start jinx.)

Either way, what gives them the best chance of winning against the Cheatriots: EJ coming in on a 3 game L streak or Orton after 1 week of playing for real w/ this offense? This division is too weak for the Bills not to take their best shot at winning it.

EJ has the higher ceiling, but Orton is almost definitely better today. Especially w/ the guard play they've had to date, I doubt this is the last we've seen of EJ. Though, if he stays healthy, Orton is the guy this year until they're eliminated.

Well if Mr. Orton wanted to play he sure picked the right place to sign. I tell you, none of us have any idea how Orton is gonna look here. He hasn't played meaningful football in a while. Will Detroit sack him like 10 times? Can he get the ball out quickly & accurately on the short stuff? No clue.

Well if Mr. Orton wanted to play he sure picked the right place to sign. I tell you, none of us have any idea how Orton is gonna look here. He hasn't played meaningful football in a while. Will Detroit sack him like 10 times? Can he get the ball out quickly & accurately on the short stuff? No clue.

if its that bad by halftime

I say send EJ back in

Fire up the WGR audio app today. First thing Jeremy White has to say is alluding to the meaningless Cowboys-Eagles game last year. The meaningless game that decided the division. WTF do you follow football at all? Get that clown out of there.

So much whining here about Schopp&Bulldog but they never get stuff like that wrong.

They cannot go back now. Marrone made his bed with this decision. This is the beginning of the end of EJ and Marrone. These QB changes rarely work

If they think he actually shows progress then yes they can. He didn't say they can not win with EJ he said they didn't get the production that need. If he's all of a sudden lighting up in every practice and Otron is horrible(don't see that happening) he makes the same statement he made about Lewis last year when he promoted him ahead of Tuel. People seem to disregard how bad he was in training camp the preseason this year. I am guessing they will be able to see a change if there is one.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Hind sight being 20/20, it is too bad that the Bills didn't have Orton here last year instead of Kolb. We might have won a few more games last year, drafted differently this year, still had a first round pick next year and still be fixing EJ's basic skills so he might actually be a quality starter at some point.

Or Orton might have tripped over a curb late at night after drinking too much Jack Daniels and ended up like Kolb anyway......

I understand it's his job but I don't believe that Tim Graham himself believes what he says a large portion of the time. He knows without question what he as a writer would write and tweet and scream from the towers if the Bills management said ANYTHING other than they had complete confidence in EJ every single time they spoke about him.

I understand it's his job but I don't believe that Tim Graham himself believes what he says a large portion of the time. He knows without question what he as a writer would write and tweet and scream from the towers if the Bills management said ANYTHING other than they had complete confidence in EJ every single time they spoke about him.

Exactly. It's no secret I'm not fan of Tim Graham, but he genuinely has little to no pulse on what is truly happening with the Bills. Turn to JW for that. Tim is just a guy who roots for the Bills to fail so he can antagonize fans on Twitter.