Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 4, Bills at Texans

Dan

Week 4: Buffalo Bills at Houston Texans

Sunday, September 28, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Spero Dedes, Solomon Wilcots

DirecTV: 709

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 126 (Internet 803; Spanish 971)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

With Arian Foster's status still in question, Fitzpatrick likely must cut down on his mistakes Sunday in Houston if he's to win his first matchup with a Bills team for which he was once the franchise quarterback.

Rookie Alfred Blue had 78 yards on 13 carries starting for Foster, but 46 of them came on one run. Either Foster or Blue has a tough assignment against a Buffalo defense which has not allowed more than 90 yards rushing in a game.

That unit, though, was picked apart by Philip Rivers in a 22-10 home loss to San Diego last Sunday. Buffalo's pass defense ranks 26th in the league at 267.3 yards per game.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills at Texans NFL.com Preview 

NFL Week 4 Preview: Bills at Texans

NFL Week 4 Viewer's Guide

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Texans

Total Yds/Game.... 322.3         353.0

Total Rush............. 131.0          140.7

Total Pass............. 191.3         212.3

Points/Game..........  21.3           20.7

Time of Poss..........  29.2           31.7

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 350.0         385.0

Rush Yards...........  83.0         141.7

Pass Yards........... 267.0         243.3

Points Allowed........ 17.3           16.7

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 24th; Texans - 15th

Overall Defense: Bills - 15th; Texans - 25th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Brooks, Ron          CB          Illness          -          -          DNP          Probable

Easley, Marcus       WR          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Goodwin, Marquise    WR          Concussion          LP          DNP          DNP          Out

Johnson, Randell     LB          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Manuel, EJ           QB          Abdomen          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Rivers, Keith        LB          Groin          LP          LP          LP          Doubtful

Searcy, Da'Norris    S          Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Spiller, C.J.        RB          Chest          -          FP          FP          Probable

Watkins, Sammy       WR          Ribs          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Williams, Chris      G          Back          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Woods, Rober         WR          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Houston Texans

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

A.J. Bouye          CB          Groin          Did Not Participate In Practice          Questionable

Jadeveon Clowney          LB          Knee          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

Jared Crick          DE          Neck          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Arian Foster          RB          Hamstring          Limited Participation in Practice          Questionable

Kareem Jackson          CB          Thigh          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Tim Jamison          DE          Groin          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Andre Johnson          WR          Ankle          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Ben Jones          G          Knee          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Johnathan Joseph          CB          Foot          Limited Participation in Practice          Probable

Shiloh Keo          S          Calf          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

Shane Lechler          P          left Hip          Did Not Participate In Practice          Questionable

Eddie Pleasant          S          Ankle          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

D.J. Swearinger          S          Elbow          Limited Participation in Practice          Probable

Source: NFL.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Texans -3

Over/Under: 41.0

Source: The LineMakers

(good video preview at Linemakers)

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

Some of the air has really been let out of the optimism around our team with last week’s loss, deservedly so.  The team looked pretty bad in all phases of the game.  So, this week is a big test.  Can they bounce back?  Can they shake off a miserable loss and get back in the win column? We should get an early indication of the team’s character this weekend.

For those thinking this is an easy game and the Bills should win handily, just look at the team stats.  These teams are pretty evenly matched and in most areas, except run defense, the Texans seem to have an edge.  By no means should this be considered an easy win, especially if Foster is able to play.  

What are my keys to the game that I’m looking for:

1. Run game/Stopping the Run.  Our key advantage on the stat sheet is in the run game.  We run and stop the run better than the Texans.  We have to keep this trend up today.  The Bills were forced out of that formula last week and EJ was unable to pass us to a win.  Hopefully, this week Fred and CJ can get our run game going; while the Williams brothers can stop theirs.

2. EJ.  Yep, despite #1 above, EJ is going to have to throw the ball.  He has to do a better job of finding our WRs than he did last week.  I expect to see defenses start crowding the LOS to stop our run game.  EJ has to show that teams will pay for that.  

3. Marrone.  He needs to show progress.  His end of the half clock management last week was bad.  His decision to punt from the 43 on 4th and 1 was bad.  He’s still making poor in-game decisions.  It’d be nice to see him coach with some of the intensity and confidence that he’s trying to get the players to play with.  Also.. . can we please, please not start the game with a run up the middle!

4. Fitzy. I like the guy.  He was a good player and got us a great win over the Pats.  I hope he throws 3 picks to us, but it’ll be nice to see the back and forth between him and some of the players.  Hopefully, he’s not too fired up to prove to the Bills brass they made a mistake in letting him go.

5. DBs. This should be a week for them to step up.  If they let Fitz torch us for big 3rd down conversions, I’d make them walk home from Houston.

Go Bills!!

Not sure how this game will go. Away game, Fitz can go on a hot streak...or he can be really bad, run game will either show up or sputter....and EJ will be accurate or way off. I have no clue how this game will go.

I think the Texans are one of the bottom five worst teams in the league and I think the Bills are a playoff team this year. So I'm pretty confident that they'll will this game.

I'll bet there's a locker room full of Texan players who are not happy that Fitzpatrick is their starting QB. Players don't like it when their team puts winning on hold for a year, yet expects them to put their bodies in harms way for the full season. I don't ever remember a team that had no starting QB pass on one with the first pick. They'll probably pick high again this year, but there will be questions on this next crop of QBs as well.

Doesn't matter. The Bills D will be all over the run. They definitely want to stop the run and force Fitz to pass.

Agreed.

Fitz is 8-39-1 when attempting more than 30 passes. His interceptions per attempts doubles when he passes more than 30 times. The first 2 games of the season he had 19, 22 attempts. Last week he had 34.

Force him to pass.

Buffalo's pass defense appears to be among the worst in the NFL while the run defense is among the best. After going up against some very good QBs so far this season, I expect them to right the ship this week. Fitz will be pressured all day and the Bills pass defense jumps up a few spots. Houston is in double digit trouble for this game.

I think the Bills pass D is underrated if you just look at stats. Prior to playing Rivers they had only allowed 1 play over 20 yds. The first 2 weeks the opponents were playing from behind and were forced to throw the whole game which piles up yards but is misleading in the stats. You can have a bad team that is losing every game, allowing the opponent to have a more balanced run/ pass and give up a lot less yards in the air for that reason. The Bills gave up a lot of short passes the first 2 weeks.

I think the Bills pass D is underrated if you just look at stats. Prior to playing Rivers they had only allowed 1 play over 20 yds. The first 2 weeks the opponents were playing from behind and were forced to throw the whole game which piles up yards but is misleading in the stats. You can have a bad team that is losing every game, allowing the opponent to have a more balanced run/ pass and give up a lot less yards in the air for that reason. The Bills gave up a lot of short passes the first 2 weeks.

It is underrated, I agree, we faced two very good QBs and they got their yards, we faced subpar one and he couldn't do much. The most important thing is points allowed so, the defense overall, did its job.

We knew going in that losing Kiko would be hard for the defense, Rivers showed range in the first week but when he went down it meant more Brown or Bradham doing a job they're not quite suited for.