Tannehill on the outs in Miami

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolphins players told Tannehill to start vs. Raiders

For the second consecutive day, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin chose not to address his quarterback plans ahead of Miami's Week 4 matchup against the Oakland Raiders.

"At the end of the week, we're going to pick the 46 guys that give us the best chance to win the game in London," Philbin said Tuesday.

Although NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday there is legitimate talk the

Dolphins might bench Ryan Tannehill, it now appears that Philbin will hold off for at least another week.

Haha. I never thought he was good but I think it would be stupid to bench him at this point. They're 1-2 and they have other problems.

Giving up a young QB for a backup with no real future makes no sense this early in the season.

Tell that to all the people saying bench EJ for Orton. So dumb.

Not quite dumb. RT is in his third year. Dolphins have a decent defense. If the coaches feel he is holding back the team, it is correct to question his credentials as starter. If at this point next season, EJ is not doing well, I too will be calling for his benching. IMHO, a first round QB should get no more than 2 years to show significant progress and signs that he is starter material.

Not quite dumb. RT is in his third year. Dolphins have a decent defense. If the coaches feel he is holding back the team, it is correct to question his credentials as starter. If at this point next season, EJ is not doing well, I too will be calling for his benching. IMHO, a first round QB should get no more than 2 years to show significant progress and signs that he is starter material.

i AGREE, but in Buffalo JP Losman held on for 5 years....maybe it was a contract thing. We should not give EJ 5 years......he will get this year.....what concerns me is that this team might win more with Orton at QB.........he is a proven backup....and EJ hasn't proven anything yet.

I used to think you need 3 years to evaluate players and coaches but you're probably right. It should be about 2 years.

I was not a RT fan in the draft. Though he was raw. But I thought he showed some signs of being a decent if not great starter. But this league eats young Qbs alive.

His one shining moment of glory. :lol:

Who else does Miami have?

Don't forget he also predicted Andrew Luck to be good. He's the Bill Polian of this board.

i AGREE, but in Buffalo JP Losman held on for 5 years....maybe it was a contract thing. We should not give EJ 5 years......he will get this year.....what concerns me is that this team might win more with Orton at QB.........he is a proven backup....and EJ hasn't proven anything yet.

EJ was much better in his first 2 seasons than Orton was. And that's the point. We know what Orton is and that's limited. We don't know what EJ is and it's stupid to give up on him for a barely servicable NFL starter. Miami should think the same way.

Ryan Tannehill is not good. Period. Yes the Dolphins have not had a great line over the time he has been there, but he is wildly inaccurate (I see people on here supporting him whilst panning EJ for the same thing). He can't throw deep, he can't get out of the pocket and extend plays, he shows zero leadership and he is making the same mistakes in year 3 as in year 1. He is a backup in this league. I am not saying EJ will be any more than that either... but Tannehill is one of the most overhyped players I can recall in my time watching the league. The last two off-seasons I've read about him being "primed for a breakout" and a "making the leap" candidate. He is not. He is poor.

I think the issue here is rushing rookie QB's onto the field. They don't generally develop well that way. The majority of QB's need time to sit behind a backup for a while and watch the game from the sidelines so they can see what's happening on the field. EJ never really had this opportunity. I say give it to him now. Orton is gone at the end of the year, we don't have a 1st rounder next year anyway. Draft a QB in round 2-3, play EJ next year. Not the ideal plan in an ideal world, but this is not an ideal QB situation for the Bills currently. It's not "giving up" on EJ, it's developing EJ and playing the best QB at the time (Orton). Others will clearly disagree and think EJ should start and learn/develop on the field, but IMO he'd be better off not getting hammered every game and making more mistakes and learning from the sidelines. He's got the physical tools.

Ryan Tannehill is not good. Period. Yes the Dolphins have not had a great line over the time he has been there, but he is wildly inaccurate (I see people on here supporting him whilst panning EJ for the same thing). He can't throw deep, he can't get out of the pocket and extend plays, he shows zero leadership and he is making the same mistakes in year 3 as in year 1. He is a backup in this league. I am not saying EJ will be any more than that either... but Tannehill is one of the most overhyped players I can recall in my time watching the league. The last two off-seasons I've read about him being "primed for a breakout" and a "making the leap" candidate. He is not. He is poor.

Agreed. Perhaps he needs some time as a backup. I could see him being a backup that comes back as a starter later on. But who does MIA have that is a better option than him at this point. Well, Dolphins imploding is good for the Bills.

Who else does Miami have?

There is one thing that is keeping Tanny in that starting role - Matt Moore. It was the same with the Jets when Sanchez was starting. The only thing keeping him there at the end was that Tebow would be the guy who would replace him.

I don't get it. Have any of you watched the Dolphins games this year? Tannehill is hitting his receivers time and time again and I'd be shocked if Miami is not leading the NFL in dropped passes. There were several in the Bills game (one was when the Bills were up by 10 and he hit his receiver in both hands on a bomb inside the 10). The same thing happened last week VS the Chiefs. Tons of dropped passes. What, is he supposed to catch for the Fish too?

I can count the number of Bills dropped passes this year on one hand.

Incompletions on the Bills = bad throw by EJ (mostly)

Incompletions on the Fish = dropped passes by the receivers (mostly)

So, I am thrilled they are thinking of benching him.

-RnJ

Matt Moore is one of the better backups in the league, but I don't think it makes much sense to bench a guy early in his 3rd year. Give him the whole year, and if he's still no good, you can move on in the offseason. Personally, I was very anti-RT when he came out in the draft, and still don't think he'll amount to much, but I'll admit that he's been a lot better (or more mediocre?) than I thought he'd be. He does throw some nice passes when he's on - particularly in week 2 against us. I thought he overall played pretty well in that game, it's just that the rest of the team was getting beat badly.

PS. Every time I see "Tannehill", I read it as "Talleywhacker". I miss crayonz.

I have watched the games (bits of the first and all the second - obviously - and all the third) and I've seen all the things I listed above. He has had some drops but a lot of those are on ball it would have take a great catch to make. Charles Clay at least a couple of times has dropped what would have been superman catches.

He is not good. I am happy for people to keep making excuses for him because whilst he is the Phins Quarterback they are going nowhere.

EJ should be benched. Unlike in Miami QB IS Our greatest liability and the one thing holding this team back. Again Bills fans trying to compare apples to oranges.

I have watched the games (bits of the first and all the second - obviously - and all the third) and I've seen all the things I listed above. He has had some drops but a lot of those are on ball it would have take a great catch to make. Charles Clay at least a couple of times has dropped what would have been superman catches.

He is not good. I am happy for people to keep making excuses for him because whilst he is the Phins Quarterback they are going nowhere.

And the NFL is pretty much saying the same thing about the Bills and EJ.

Matt Moore is a much better QB than Tannehill

I hate defending him because I'm nto a RT fan but this is the classic backup QB love. Matt Moore has a 79 career QB rating. He might be as good as RT but what is the upside with Matt Moore? It's like Fitz or Orton. We know what they are. Average t obelow average NFL starters. However small the chance may be, you have to play RT as long as possible. IMO.

And the NFL is pretty much saying the same thing about the Bills and EJ.

I'm sure. I'm just not yet ready to write him off because I don't think the sample size is big enough. Tannehill has played every game I think for 2 seasons and is now 3 games into year 3. That is 35 career starts... and I am seeing the same things that after 16 starts I was willing to wait and see on. Believe me if by a similar sample size EJ is still the same I will want him replaced.