Cyril Richardson needs to get a shot at RG

YoloinOhio

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pears has not been good. If he plays this week, JJ Watt is going to have a field day. Pears, while he may have looked like the best option there at the end if camp, seems too tall and is slow to recognize the blitz and stunts far too often. Could CR really be worse?

Tick.....Tick....Tick. The time has to be drawing closer. Pears is a big liability on the OL. He simply provides no push in the run game as he plays too high. He's missing assignments when the opposing DL stunts and not providing good enough pass pro overall.

Henderson has admitted that Pears is functioning as an on field coach for him if he is not sure what to do......that complicates the decision to remove Pears from the field of play......in that Richardson himself might need help. Not clear that Pears will be removed so quickly to me.

Henderson has admitted that Pears is functioning as an on field coach for him if he is not sure what to do......that complicates the decision to remove Pears from the field of play......in that Richardson himself might need help. Not clear that Pears will be removed so quickly to me.

This will pay off in the long run using Pears as a mentor. Sure hope Orton can do the same for EJ

This is a very good point and I tend to agree!!

That's a scary thought if Pears is teaching CR how to play guard.

Lesson No. 1: How to get blown 3-yards off the ball on running plays.

Lesson No. 2: How to get fooled on the same stunt 5 times in the same game.

Lesson No. 3: How to fall down and block no one on a screen.

we have to assume marrone likes Pears better than urbik at RG, which tells us how well urbik must be playing.

i agree with beginning to rotate the rookie in asap. maybe just start with short yardage running plays or simple stuff but lets get that boy out there we really need guard help!

Interesting point. If Henderson needs the mentor than we may have to deal with medicare guard play.

Could Urbik fill that mentor role?

Both guards have looked bad, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Chris Williams is hurt, put CR, at left guard. And put Urbik back at right guard. The line as a whole haven't been that bad. But the guard play can be improved. Pears was a turnstile at his natural position of tackle last year, the move to guard has not worked.I'm not an offensive line guru, but that's just a fans assessment.

Pears is flat out bad. Put Urbik back at RG and CR to LG. We will take some lumps,but we are already and it's not going to improve otherwise.

I'd go with this, although Urbik didn't look so hot either yesterday when he was in there.

Based on tools alone, Richardson should have been given a legitimate shot to be a starting guard from day one. For some reason I feel the Marrone isn't sold on either Kouandjio or Richardson. I know Marrone played OL in the league (albeit briefly), and started as a line coach. But after seeing what our former OL coach (D'Alessandris) is doing with a line that, minus Fluker, is rather ordinary (including Rheingold), I can't help but think that players like Urbik and Pears would be performing much better with, yes i'll say it- BETTER coaching! Urbik was never an issue under D'Alessandris...now he sucks? And is Pears going to reprise the "Colin Brown/Doug Legursky" crapfest this year as a guard? Hell, Colin Brown was passable under the previous regime; under Marrone, he was arguably the worst lineman in the history of the franchise. I don't care that he was a lineman- stop anointing Marrone as some sort of OL "guru".

To wit, he's teaching Henderson how to play T.

I think you are getting them confused. I can understand being concerned with pears teaching richardson at guard, but pears teaching henderson to play tackle doesn't seem like a bad thing. Results of hendersons play looks promising, and he is the exact type of player that needs a vet mentor

I think Henderson needs to get his crap together quick then. Never really heard of an on field mentor, especially one that blows.

Pears has not been good. If he plays this week, JJ Watt is going to have a field day. Pears, while he may have looked like the best option there at the end if camp, seems too tall and is slow to recognize the blitz and stunts far too often. Could CR really be worse?

Yes, Richardson could be worse. If he was better , he would be playing.