Be weary of the Refs this week

Coach55

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spread on the game opened flat and has moved to the Bills being 2.5 pt favorites. This is a direct result of people heavily betting on the Bills. Everytime the spread moves heavily in one direction, oddmakers stand to lose significant money. Don't be surprised if the calls significantly don't go our way this week.

As a former sports bettor this is actually a very good sign for us. When this happens as long as the betting public % stay the same and a line moves there is about an 70-80% chance we will cover the -2.5 spread.

Not to be a stickler, but the betting odds have absolutely no impact on what happens Sunday.

Play on the field is what matters.

I realize that you're speaking to the percentages, and that's fine...I just happen to be a student of applied science, so I felt compelled to comment.

No, what I'm saying is that the line has no effect on the outcome of the game.

It may project a statistical probability, but I can assure you the line means nothing come Sunday.

You are guys are discussing very different things, I think.

The odds/money on the game/shift in betting has zero effect on the game itself. The game is the game and is oblivious to betting influences---UNLESS you believe the OP and think the entire thing isn't above board. But if that's the case, the NFL is getting dangerous close to professional wrestling---or maybe boxing. (For the record I think watching professional wresting is moronic, but I like boxing. So there is my personal hypocrisy.)

The shift in betting may indicate, over time, may be somewhat predictive to the outcome. It is possible professional betters know a thing of two about the matchup, so observing their behavior may tip us to what is likely to happen on Sunday. But it has no influence on what actually happens.

I am of the belief that, if this pattern is indeed true, it is only predictive over time, and in general,. It probably has a very small predictive ability when you are talking about any single game. Just as most quantitative social science research can explain differences among groups, but rarely explains individual differences.

So if you bet a bunch of games, every week, you may get some value out of looking at the betting shifts. But if you are interested in only this one game, then I'm thinking these data are relatively useless.

Edited by The Dean

uhmm, not to bust your conspiracy theory or anything, but right now 62% of the money is bet on the Chargers...please look it up here

http://www.thespread...rt#.VBxcmPldWAg

So i guess that means the refs will favor us yea :thumbsup:

I am getting weary trying to explain how sports wagering and books work on here.

BOOKS DO NOT ALWAYS WANT 50-50 SPLIT ON WAGERS, THEY BET THE GAMES TOO. THE LINE MOVES BASED ON WHERE THE SHARP MONEY WILL BE< NOT THE PUBLIC.

books are killing the public this year, as the majority public likes favorites, plays favorites, and the public is generaly wrong

http://linemakers.sp...ore-bears-49ers

Great quote from that last link

"Sharp bettors who depend on weekly income from the NFL do well because they’re usually on the side the books need. Joe Public, who keeps trying to hit big-dollar 8-team parlays, have a rough time of it"

Right now, the books need the Bills to cover..yes!!!!!!!!

"

Good sign the public betting the Chargers

This is what i was alluding to the fact that the general public has their $ on san diego and the line is moving the "wrong way". All i am saying is in my experience the team that the public is betting against in this exact situation covers 70-80 % of the time. Take it for what it's worth. Not guaranteeing a Bills victory.

This is what i was alluding to the fact that the general public has their $ on san diego and the line is moving the "wrong way". All i am saying is in my experience the team that the public is betting against in this exact situation covers 70-80 % of the time. Take it for what it's worth. Not guaranteeing a Bills victory.

Yes of course...I didn't mean to dispute the historical correlation. Pointing out the history is informative, and I appreciate it. I only meant to dispute the idea that it was predictive of a Bills' win.

Wow, way to go from 0 to 60 there dude

I actually dont think theres that much of a difference between thinking the NFL is rigged and there being gov't conspiracies behind 9/11 and sandy hook....everyone who believes all those things are nut bags who wear tin foil hats in their houses

Saw the forecast for the weather 80% chance of rain. I believe this favors our ground game and will help us with TOP. Keep the ball out of Rivers hands and force them in 3rd and long situations, that's our M.O. why change now...

Wow, just looked at the forecast...going from 110 on the field to a wet 60 degrees...that loft throw will not be easy for Rivers.

Sounds about correct.

I will echo what another poster said earlier in the thread, I'd rather have the replacement refs back. They were terrible but fair.

Yup. It's really hard to keep these kind of thoughts out of your mind. Maybe I'm paranoid.

We had to know this was going to happen. They want the divisions close. After this weekend they had to have Denver and SD tied up, and everybody in the AFCE even.