Does the 2011 5-2 start temper your enthusiasm this year?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obviously hard to not think that way, but it's also not healthy. I realize that nearly 15 years without a playoff game (and almost 19 years without a playoff win) can certainly cause a lot of neuroses, you just have to fight it. I'd like to think that we have way more talent and depth, a much better front office, and likely a better coaching staff. We'll see . . . but for now, I'm totally enjoying the moment!

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

No. This team is deeper and much more balanced.

And if you recall, the way they won the early games in 2011 was completely unsustainable (where have I heard that one?).

You're also combining the 2011 implosion with the 2008 implosion.

Well, if 2011 ever comes around again I'll begin to worry.

This year's year squad might not run the tables but they've definitely rekindled the excitement in WNY.

They control their own destiny and the sooner they realize that the more focused they'll be.

I like most of what I've seen from them so far. One game at a time. One game at a time.

Absolutely...a real shame but true. And I agree, Trent Edwards was never the same after that hit in AZ...he never fully recovered. As for this year, I also agree this team has a different "feel" to it. I posted the same yesterday in another thread that this team "feels" like the Seahawks of 2012, a good football team that relied on Defense and good running game with efficient QB play but wasn't quite there yet to achieve the Super Bowl until another year of football maturity made them primed for it...this BILLS team seems to be just like that one, good in various ways and even great in one or two ways, but still ascending and trending upwards toward even better...but, I temper my enthusiasm for the final record and yes / no to playoffs in large part due to the very season you speak of....ughh!

I'm trying not to let 2011 impact how I feel about this season. The 2011 team lost a lot of guys to injuries as the season went along and they didn't have a lot of depth at any position to be able to overcome that. As of now, I'm fully invested in enjoying this team at this time. I don't "expect them to lose" or "hope they do well" at this point. If they do lose or don't play well, then at least I'm used to that feeling, so I have 2011 to thank for that.

Absolutely...a real shame but true. And I agree, Trent Edwards was never the same after that hit in AZ...he never fully recovered. As for this year, I also agree this team has a different "feel" to it. I posted the same yesterday in another thread that this team "feels" like the Seahawks of 2012, a good football team that relied on Defense and good running game with efficient QB play but wasn't quite there yet to achieve the Super Bowl until another year of football maturity made them primed for it...this BILLS team seems to be just like that one, good in various ways and even great in one or two ways, but still ascending and trending upwards toward even better...but, I temper my enthusiasm for the final record and yes / no to playoffs in large part due to the very season you speak of....ughh!

You're referring to 2008 when the Bills started 4-0, then Edwards got his clock cleaned at Arizona, they recovered to beat SD and go 5-1, but then lost 6 or 7 in a row. They never looked like a dominant team early, and Edwards was never the same.

2011 was when they had the comebacks against Oakland and the Pats* to go 3-0, lost at Cincy, beat Philly, lost to the Giants, beat Washington in Toronto, and then collapsed. While the early season wins were incredibly exciting, again, you saw plenty of chinks in the armor and the roster was paper thin. The Giants game in particular irritated me, as Fitz threw two horrible picks because he couldn't get the ball deep enough to open receivers.

I'm not predicting any sort of W-L record for the current Bills, but thus far the blueprint for these Ws is markedly different and a full team effort. This team doesn't feel like either of those previous "hot starting" teams. I believe the last Bills team to really "fool" me was the one that beat the Pats* 31-0 on opening day. After they won the following week in Jacksonville I was ready to proclaim "Super Bowl contender!" And then they had Travis Henry throw a HB option pass in the red zone at Miami. :doh:

I heard on the radio this morning that we have started 2-0 a total of 6 times since 2000 and have not once made the playoffs. So, I am not getting overly excited by this quality start to the season. Lots of football left.

That sad, more than 2/3 of the teams that start 2-0 do make the playoffs, so we are heading in the right direction.

Just curious what the thoughts are. For me, I am enjoying where we are and just trying to take it one game at a time. I must admit that after the 2011 season I will not say this team has "turned a corner" until the season is done. I still say the hit that Trent Edwards took in that AZ game changed him and led to the implosion. He was not the same player coming back.

I think top to bottom including QB the current roster is far more loaded than 2011. So in this fact I place great hope for the 2014 season.

What a great week for the Bills but I suspect there might even be more fandemonium if it were not for the 2011 collapse.

No.

I NEVER was confident about that team. It was obvious that they were barely getting past crappy opponents.

Since 2003, we’ve seen the Bills start off hot, then fizzle out at least three times:

• 2003 – Beat the Pats 31-0 and started off 2-0, only to finish 6-10

• 2008 – Started off the season 4-0, finished 7-9

• 2011 – Started off the season 3-0 including a week 3 defeat of the Pats, and finished 6-10

I’m enjoying the ride so far, but I’m not getting drunk off the kool-aid just yet.

No. This team is deeper and much more balanced.

And if you recall, the way they won the early games in 2011 was completely unsustainable (where have I heard that one?).

You're also combining the 2011 implosion with the 2008 implosion.

Ya. A two game sample isn't a lot to determine if the current way is sustainable though. Chicago probably wasn't but seeing as how you don't need to beat a team like that on the road to be 'wildcard good', I'm not sure I care much - that's just a great game to steal. And the Miami game was obviously unique. I think these next three games against varying degrees of ok/mediocre/sorta good teams will tell us a lot.

You're referring to 2008 when the Bills started 4-0, then Edwards got his clock cleaned at Arizona, they recovered to beat SD and go 5-1, but then lost 6 or 7 in a row. They never looked like a dominant team early, and Edwards was never the same.

2011 was when they had the comebacks against Oakland and the Pats* to go 3-0, lost at Cincy, beat Philly, lost to the Giants, beat Washington in Toronto, and then collapsed. While the early season wins were incredibly exciting, again, you saw plenty of chinks in the armor and the roster was paper thin. The Giants game in particular irritated me, as Fitz threw two horrible picks because he couldn't get the ball deep enough to open receivers.

I'm not predicting any sort of W-L record for the current Bills, but thus far the blueprint for these Ws is markedly different and a full team effort. This team doesn't feel like either of those previous "hot starting" teams. I believe the last Bills team to really "fool" me was the one that beat the Pats* 31-0 on opening day. After they won the following week in Jacksonville I was ready to proclaim "Super Bowl contender!" And then they had Travis Henry throw a HB option pass in the red zone at Miami. :doh:

Yeah that Giants game was annoying. I wanted to fight everyone complaining about the playcalling. "K guys lets run it into the line 3 times with 4minutes left with a crappy defense". Jeez, the game was right there and Fitz had to Fitz.