Am I crazy or is EJ throwing more to space

I am no football technologist, but to my half-informed eye it seems like EJ is definitely throwing more to space - leading receivers better or throwing before their cuts - even when he doesn't end up connecting. If so, it shows increasing comfort with the offense and increasing sync with his WR corp.

As a number of people have pointed out already, that missed TD opportunity to Watkins seemed less like an errant throw than like a moment when EJ and Sammy weren't on the same page. Whether Sammy ran the route too vertically or EJ failed to adjust the throw based on the DB's position, I'm still heartened that EJ is trusting his guys to get to the right spaces rather than waiting for them to look open to the naked eye.

I am no football technologist, but to my half-informed eye it seems like EJ is definitely throwing more to space - leading receivers better or throwing before their cuts - even when he doesn't end up connecting. If so, it shows increasing comfort with the offense and increasing sync with his WR corp.

As a number of people have pointed out already, that missed TD opportunity to Watkins seemed less like an errant throw than like a moment when EJ and Sammy weren't on the same page. Whether Sammy ran the route too vertically or EJ failed to adjust the throw based on the DB's position, I'm still heartened that EJ is trusting his guys to get to the right spaces rather than waiting for them to look open to the naked eye.

That's exactly what he's doing. He was doing this in the preseason too.

He is throwing to space. You cant miss it. If you watch the routes it's clear the throws are out before the breaks.

All the eyeball test "experts" should already be picking up on this.

I don't ever think what has been dubbed as an accuracy problem was that at all. I firmly believe it's been timing and anticipation that's off which could explain why when the negative Nancy's were all crying about the broad sides of barns, EJ was acting as if he was doing what he was supposed to. It's because Hackett's o is all timing based and thinks were just out of synch.

"Trust" is the key word in your post. I never believed that EJ didn't have the intelligence or the vision to make throws downfield.

He definitely doesn't have a gun slinger mentality though, and I suspect he had visions of pick sixes in his head last year. Trust is a lot easier when you have a guy like Sammy Watkins.

Looks that we to me.

He is definitely progressing!

To my "untrained" eye;

- Last year he seemed to only throw to receivers who appeared wide open.

- Pre-season this year, you could see him anticipating a little better.

- The end of pre-season and the first game, he was getting I there, but they may have had to jump and/or make miraculous catches.

- Yesterday he seemed more "on target" and hitting them more in stride. the ones to Chandler and Watkins were just a couple.

It is nice to watch, just give him time and enjoy!

Yep. Noticed that on the one of Woods' catches last week where everyone complained he was overthrown. Woods actually held up a half-step to shake the coverage off, then had to jump for it - EJ put the ball roughly where Woods would have been had he kept running full stride. It was still overthrown, but not nearly as badly as people complained.

I watched the Missed touchdown pass to Watkins in the end zone 3 times, It looked to me that Watkins was heading to the left more then cut it up after EJ let the ball loose, If Watkins would of held his pattern it would have been a strike. In my opinion it was on Watkins.. But none the less we won so who gives a crap...I'm sure they will get it corrected, two young guys and I'm sure it will be corrected..

I watched the Missed touchdown pass to Watkins in the end zone 3 times, It looked to me that Watkins was heading to the left more then cut it up after EJ let the ball loose, If Watkins would of held his pattern it would have been a strike. In my opinion it was on Watkins.. But none the less we won so who gives a crap...I'm sure they will get it corrected, two young guys and I'm sure it will be corrected..

That pass was right in his hands. I was thoroughly impressed. It was a nice play by Grimes.

Ditto on the one he was coming up the seam. Had Sammy shaded three feet to the middle of the field--where it was WIDE OPEN, and where EJ placed the pass--he would have walked into the endzone.

I have no doubt these two will fix such a minor miscue.

It was a great pass, but it wasn't dropped. Grimes made a great play on the ball. It was good defense.

Grimes made a great play - the one thing Sammy might have done is grab it higher so Grimes wouldn't be able to reach it.

My guess is his ribs are keeping him from being the leaping/stretching athletic freak he was in camp. Hopefully he can heal while still playing.

Grimes made a great play - the one thing Sammy might have done is grab it higher so Grimes wouldn't be able to reach it.

My guess is his ribs are keeping him from being the leaping/stretching athletic freak he was in camp. Hopefully he can heal while still playing.

I thought his ribs were really in play on that pass where EJ threw more to the middle of the field in the end zone and Watkins couldnt get too it.........

EJ is trusting his receivers...and everything we have seen from Sammy so far is that he has an extra gear.....EJ was expecting Sammy to turn it on and go get that ball so he threw it away from the defenders....but Sammy just cant do that right now.

He will eventually.

The deep ball to Watkins that was dropped in the endzone was a nice ball. Last year that ball was 5 yards out of bounds.

Probably his best throw of the day. Sammy didn't catch it cleanly which allowed the DB to make a nice play.

It's a good thing he didn't catch it, The Ralph would have exploded and wasted a lot of tax payer money on the new renovations.

I know I'm going to be a negative Nancy here, but am I the only one that thought if the touchdown catch got reviewed that it was actually a fumble that was either 1.) out of bounds at the 1 inch line, or 2.) a touchback and Miami football at the 20? The ball was quite clearly out of his hand when it touched the pylon. If it got reviewed there was probably 20% chance that it stood up with little video evidence, but I think about 80% chance it gets overturned. Sammy needs to do a little better job with ball security down in the red zone. Might hurt his ribs a little bit though holding the football against them as tight as he cant.

Just a thought.

Edited by BillsFan3434

I know I'm going to be a negative Nancy here, but am I the only one that thought if the touchdown catch got reviewed that it was actually a fumble that was either 1.) out of bounds at the 1 inch line, or 2.) a touchback and Miami football at the 20? The ball was quite clearly out of his hand when it touched the pylon. If it got reviewed there was probably 20% chance that it stood up with little video evidence, but I think about 80% chance it gets overturned. Sammy needs to do a little better job with ball security down in the red zone. Might hurt his ribs a little bit though holding the football against them as tight as he cant.

Just a thought.

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed...

Just a thought.

1. All scoring plays are reviewed by NFL but it wasn't flagged for the referree to look under the hood

2. I thought it was a fumble and touchback but the NFL disagrees

3. If that was a Miami WR we would still be screaming about it today

4. Chance favors the prepared mind