It should have been a touchback...

Dragonborn10

Yes, but the wallace play wasn't even remotely debatable. He landed on his back and elbow in bounds (by a foot at least), with his feet in the air. Landing on your back in bounds regardless of whether your feet have touched the ground yet = in bounds.

I think it was close. I re-watched it a few times last night, and it looked close as to whether part of the body hit the chalk when he came down.

I think they got it right-- but it seemed to warrant more than a 30-second "review"-- though I can't believe anyone thinks they actually reviewed that scoring play in 30 seconds.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to NFL.com, they have a Sammy highlight video from yesterday where they go through the replay several times nice and slow.

They freeze frame it right at the spot where he regains control, and the pylon itself is what causes him to lose the ball the 2nd time...so...touchdown. Also explains why there's no review. It's in the rule book that if the ball contacts the pylon , it's a TD, even if the ball is jarred loose by the pylon.

Case closed IMO.

That is not true of this board or this thread on its own. The vast majority of people on this thread have said it was too close to overturn, could have gone either way and had it been ruled a fumble on the field would have stayed a fumble.

Exactly...just a discussion. No one is being rude or disrespectful...just differing opinions.

It's funny how this is OK because it was in favor of the Bills. If it was the other way instead of 3 pages there would be 33 pages to this thread. :)

FWIW I think the call was probably wrong, but it was too close to overrule the original call on the field.

It's not funny, it's called being a fan. I will go to my grave believing it was a forward lateral! Go to the Miami fan site and there probably is 33 pages complaining about that play. But I do honestly believe this play looked like a legitimate TD live and questionable in slow motion, so the ruling on the field stood.

Edited by ricojes

If you go to NFL.com, they have a Sammy highlight video from yesterday where they go through the replay several times nice and slow.

They freeze frame it right at the spot where he regains control, and the pylon itself is what causes him to lose the ball the 2nd time...so...touchdown. Also explains why there's no review. It's in the rule book that if the ball contacts the pylon , it's a TD, even if the ball is jarred loose by the pylon.

Case closed IMO.

[/thread]

It's funny how this is OK because it was in favor of the Bills. If it was the other way instead of 3 pages there would be 33 pages to this thread. :)

FWIW I think the call was probably wrong, but it was too close to overrule the original call on the field.

I agree that it's funny. I also think the call was right (and I'm not homerish enough to let it shape my opinion).

I honestly believe the officials were brutal yesterday. They missed many calls (false starts, etc.) and a brutal defensive holding on Corey Graham on a key 3rd down in the 1st half.

[/thread]

We're in real trouble if we start taking my posts as gospel :lol:

I agree that it's funny. I also think the call was right (and I'm not homerish enough to let it shape my opinion).

I honestly believe the officials were brutal yesterday. They missed many calls (false starts, etc.) and a brutal defensive holding on Corey Graham on a key 3rd down in the 1st half.

We're in real trouble if we start taking my posts as gospel :lol:

That may be the one constant here, the refs are always brutal against the Bills regardless of win or loss :)

That may be the one constant here, the refs are always brutal against the Bills regardless of win or loss :)

I thought they were brutal against both teams...like I said, Corey Graham held Clay really bad on a key 3rd down, and they missed it horribly. I'm sure there were others.

I watched the play numerous times now. Sammy's TD should have been ruled a fumble and touchback. Bills got lucky. Luck is part of the game and maybe it is our time to get a good break.

On the pylon play, touching the pylon with the ball is not the only way to score people. The ball broke the plane before it hit the pylon. If you look at the replays, you will see that the side of the ball, the fattest part of it, initially made contact with the inside of the pylon while the nose of the ball had already broken the plane. The play was over at that instant which was before he hit the pylon and and lost the ball. Sammie still had both hands on the ball at the point in time when he broke the plane.

Screen Shot 2014 09 15 At 10.00.23 AM

On the pylon play, touching the pylon with the ball is not the only way to score people. The ball broke the plane before it hit the pylon. If you look at the replays, you will see that the side of the ball, the fattest part of it, initially made contact with the inside of the pylon while the nose of the ball had already broken the plane. The play was over at that instant which was before he hit the pylon and and lost the ball. Sammie still had both hands on the ball at the point in time when he broke the plane.

Thank you. I'm not even sure that he had lost control when it hit the pylon. But either way it does look like it broke the plane before that. There is certainly not clear evidence to suggest otherwise and overturn the call on the field.

Case closed IMO.

this.

even if it wasn't i wouldn't be sweating it after all of the non-calls on the false starts, them getting ticky tack with hughes when he moved, and two unsportsmanlike conduct on players on the sideline when the ref wasn't looking where he was going and ran into smith and when someone got upset on a non-called late hit.

[sarcasm] It's clear that Watkins had full control of the ball as he touched the orange end zone marker. How dare you question that!!! The Bills are gods!

You should understand Dragonborn10 that if you question anything or offer an opposing opinion that's not rah rah pro Bills, you're considered a troll or negative Ned. Realistic or opposing views aren't always appreciated here.

2 years ago, prior to the start of the season, a lot of the regulars here at TSW were 100% convinced the Bills were playoff bound. I wasn't quite as optimistic, having heard similar hype for too many years, and then experiencing a letdown. The Boy Who Cried Wold syndrome. I stated my opinion and was chastised for not towing the company line and proclaiming the Bills as a top 10 team. How dare I?

Unfortunately, the regulars on this message board perceive anyone giving a counterpoint as being a bad guy.

My avatar - the "on paper" superbowl trophy is the result of those conversations.

There's little respect for an opposing point of view. Put on those rose colored glasses or shut up.

I give up.

Actually, the vibe I got from the both the title, and the original post was that the OP was trying to set himself apart as "more discerning, and "more realistic" than other fans on this board. That is why he received a push back.