How will Henderson hold up this week against Wake?

Bocephuz

I don't know that I'd characterize him as a top 5 DE.

He finished tied for 29th in sacks last year, and doesn't play the run nearly as well as a lot of other guys.

He's had two very good years (2010 & 2012), and three where he failed to finish among the top 20 in sacks. He's not a good enough run defender to be considered among the top 5 for a guy that doesn't always get to the QB.

I'd say he's top 10, but I'm not putting him ahead of Watt, Mario, Hardy, Wilkerson, or Chris Long at this point.

Wake's lack of sacks was because he was injured for most of last year. His struggles against the run are a little bit over-exagerrated imo. He's a pure speed rusher and can more often than not beat you with strength so of course he's going to struggle with defending the run. Another thing is I don't recall too many teams running to his side.

Chris Long? I think you mean Robert Quinn.

1. Watt

2. Quinn

3. Wilkerson

4. Hardy

5. Wiliams/Wake

Even still, Dave is speaking as if Wake isn't a superstar player.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake's lack of sacks was because he was injured for most of last year. His struggles against the run are a little bit over-exagerrated imo. He's a pure speed rusher and can more often than not beat you with strength so of course he's going to struggle with defending the run. Another thing is I don't recall too many teams running to his side.

Chris Long? I think you mean Robert Quinn.

1. Watt

2. Quinn

3. Wilkerson

4. Hardy

5. Wiliams/Wake

Even still, Dave is speaking as if Wake isn't a superstar player.

No, I mean Chris Long.

Quinn may be a better pure pass rusher, but Long is the better all-around DE (run defense counts too).

And I don't give guys a pass for playing hurt; Mario had 10.5 sacks and 40+ solo tackles 2 years ago with a broken wrist playing from the DE spot.

IMO, if a guy can't beat Erik Pears for a sack in the last 4 games, he's not a top 5 DE.

Still cant believe he came from the CFL.

According to Wikipedia, the Bills were interested in Wake when he was leaving the CFL.

Does anyone remember anything about this?

CBF

Yes. In fact, we were interested first and it looked like we were going to get him (as I recall). The Dolphins became interested in him later in the process.

Henderson was OK at RT last week against the Bears ... I think he's in for a tough day Sunday with Wake coming in. What does everyone else think?

From Pro Football Focus... Cameron Wake had the top overall performance in the league last week. This is pretty scary.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/10/top-10-performances-week-1

1. Cameron Wake, DE (MIA) +7.7

Simply destroyed one of the best right tackles around in Sebastian Vollmer on the way to seven Tom Brady disruptions including two strip-sacks.

The kid was stout this week. The whole O line played lights out.