How will Henderson hold up this week against Wake?

Bocephuz

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to reiterate the obvious of having a TE, FB, or RB chip, as that is the obvious answer as well as running at a smaller DE, but just a comment how silent the great Jared Allen was last week.

God bless Cordy. Whatever was the issue, I'm glad he is ok. I'll stack him up against just about any DE in the league. He's a stud we better resign early so he doesn't break the bank. I'd love to see us give him the big contract after this year so a year early with guaranteed money. I'm sick of waiting too long, and losing people we found like Peters, Levitre, and Byrd.

Go Seantrell.

Lock em up now .. I agree. Wonder if they have enough cap room to do it during the season?

Edited by Bocephuz

I just want to point out that I looked at the All-22, and while Wake was very good, his two biggest plays of the game (2 sack fumbles) came while he was singled up against a TE...although the 2nd of them it looked like the TE was supposed to chip him and that Vollmer was late getting over.

If the Bills' scheme allows a TE to be single-blocking Wake, they're stupid.

If Henderson is given help on, say, every other pass play, I think he'll do fine.

Lock em up now .. I agree. Wonder if they have enough cap room to do it during the season?

They cannot extend Glenn (or Gilmore) until after this season concludes per the CBA. Players on their rookie contract cannot receive new contracts until they've completed 3 years of league service.

That said, I'm sure he'll be on the docket to get a new contract very soon. I think the heirarchy is as follows:

1) Spiller

2) Hughes

3) Spikes (who cannot be extended until the 1st day of the 2015 league year since he's a vested veteran on a 1-year deal)

4) Dareus

5) Glenn

6) Gilmore

That said, I'm sure he'll be on the docket to get a new contract very soon. I think the heirarchy is as follows:

1) Spiller

2) Hughes

3) Spikes (who cannot be extended until the 1st day of the 2015 league year since he's a vested veteran on a 1-year deal)

4) Dareus

5) Glenn

6) Gilmore

If I understand you right, you are listing those players in the importance of who should be signed first. If so, I think Glenn is way too low on the list. And if I don't understand you right, then carry on.

kj

Wake had a monster game last week. But look at his career stats vs Buffalo and they're pretty underwhelming outside of his "rookie" year.

10 games, 33 tackles (26 solo,) 6.5 sacks.

7 tackles, 2.5 sacks in 2009

5 tackles, 1 sack in 2010

8 tackles, 1 sack in 2011

8 tackles, 2 sacks in 2012

5 tackles, 0 sacks in 2013

Rough average: 3.5 tackles, 0.5 sacks per game. Hardly elite, especially for a guy who they face twice a year and should know the OL's weaknesses

That can be explained by the super talent we had at T for most of those years.

If I understand you right, you are listing those players in the importance of who should be signed first. If so, I think Glenn is way too low on the list. And if I don't understand you right, then carry on.

kj

Kind of, but not really :lol:

I guess I used the Eishenhower method of urgent vs. important when ranking them. Priority is set based on which players are both urgent and important to re-sign.

Spiller and Hughes are UFAs after this season (urgent), and are high impact players (important) so they are first in the queue. Same goes for Spikes. Dareus is up after the 2015 season (less urgent, but just as important), while Glenn and Gilmore (important, but not urgent) aren't up until after 2016.

So while I totally agree that Glenn is the most important of those players, he's not the most urgent candidate for extension.

Make sense?

So if I am reading that correctly, Pears held him to 0 sacks last season? That's surprising.

Hairston was deployed as a blocking TE vs Chicago with Lee Smith on the shelf. No doubt he'll have the same role this Sunday with Smith out again.

Its not like we throw to the TE because he can't catch, so might as well do it.

Yep. Like I've been saying, Pears has mostly handled him the past few years.

Designate Hairston a blocking TE , Wake contained . I would go with this type OL all season

Hairston was deployed as a blocking TE vs Chicago with Lee Smith on the shelf. No doubt he'll have the same role this Sunday with Smith out again.

I wonder if he can catch passes?

The key will be keeping Wake and the rest of the Dolphin defense off balance with play calling and an effective running game. If the Bills get behind or are in lots of 3rd and long situations then I doubt Henderson will hold up. The Pats are pretty one dimensional, so it was a little easier for Wake last week too.

Yep. Like I've been saying, Pears has mostly handled him the past few years.

Quite encouraging. Probably speaks to how weak NE*'s RT is. Skimming through this review also points the finger at Vollmer

http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/article-1/Bridgestone-Performance-Review-Patriots-Dolphins-/a156ce79-062c-46a8-a20a-794747a6c05b

I'm going to use my Madden "expertise" here so correct me if I'm wrong but....

The conversation is all about the Dolphins 5-2 defense. The 5-2 is great for stopping the run but terrible at stopping the pass. The Bills can come out 3 wide almost exclusively and force Miami out of that alignment. Woods, Watkins, and Williams would force them to play nickel defense or single safety. Running CAN be effective out of this formation as the Bills can have 5 lineman, 1 qb, 3 wrs, and either 2 rbs (fb and rb) or a te and rb. I would imagine we will see a lot of this formation as well as a lot of quick slants or bubble screens. This should tire out the lbs and with their lack of depth Buffalo should be able to move to more of a power set up in the second half/as the game goes on.

I am a huge fan of dictating to teams instead of letting them dictate to us and I think that the Bills do that with the 3 wide formation. It all falls to EJ (sound familiar) to keep the defense honest. Also running at a pass rusher is always the best way to neutralize them so I could see a lot of runs towards Wake.

This week and the game against the Texans (JJ Watt) are going to be real tests for the offensive line and Seantrel. I agree that we should expect to see some ups and downs from Seantrel because he is a rookie. One advantage he will have that he did not have in Chicago will be that the crowd will try to be quiet when our offense has the ball.

Not with this fanbase. As per usual there will be thousands of Bills fans yelling when the Bills are on offense. The typical "Come on EJ" or "Let's go EJ" stuff like that. Apparently there are many Western NY dads who did not do a good job of teaching their kids that you are supposed to be quiet when your offense has the ball.

I predict there will be moments in this game where the Bills own offense won't be able to hear the play called because the fans are too noisy. Bet on it.

Erik Pears?

Seriously though Randy Starks and Koa Misi are both in walking boots and not practicing today. Their defense basically = Wake with those two out

Edited by JM57