The Pegulas FIRST move as owners has already taken place

TXBILLSFAN

You can believe it or not, but, France will play a significant role and it makes all the sense in the world. Your description of his relationship with France, "friendship with a former business partner", is way off. He is a respected business partner and trusted advisor.

As for his knowledge, you are way underestimating this guy. He knows the NFL and offers a unique perspective and will have the Pegulas ear throughout this process.

The only scenario where he doesn't play a permanent long term role is if he wants to "buyback" his agency and continue to lead it. I'm betting he doesn't.

How do you know this?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Bill Polian brought in as an advisor. Not to say he comes in and terminates anyone, or brings in any other 1990's cronies, or is kept around long term - but just comes in, does an evaluation of the organization and then provides a report to the owner.

He's been part of turning three oragnizations around and into winners. That's not something you just happen to luck into.

How do you know this?

I have a couple friends who both separately told me the same thing, one lives in Atlanta and one has ties to Sabres. I also did my own research.

If you look at what Pegs did with the Sabres, he is a very loyal guy that surrounds himself with people he trusts (not surprising, as most people do this). Buying Five Star was a deliberate move to help him better understand the NFL. I think Pegs had his eyes on the Bills years ago. I've also read that he has a great relationship with France, respects him and trusts him, so, to me that helped validate what I was told.

Like I said, I don't know what will come of Whaley, Marrone or Brandon for that matter, I have an opinion, but I've tried to keep that opinion out of this thread to keep us focused on France.

I like the idea of having a guy in the room that's sat on the other side of the table. To me, it's fresh perspective and new set of eyes.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

This is all pure speculation on your part.

Yep. The need for a scapegoat is strong with some people.

As to establishing a 'winning culture,' IMO the Bills began to move further down that road at the same time Ralph stepped back and handed the team over to Russ. Go figure...

If thus France guy is worth his salt, he will fire Russ Brandon as the first order of business.

FYI for all of those people who defend Brandon: you are not shareholders of the business. It should not matter to you what he does on the business side of things and whether those initiatives are successful or not. As a fan, what should matter is the product on the field. And it has sucked since 2009.

He has headed an inept organization since 2009 that has placed profits above winning. He cares about keeping fans interested, not winning, hence the "bold moves" that no one else in the league would consider.

He needs to be tossed out on his ear.

Russian Brandon ' s job is profit, he has kept the team profitable since 2009. He has done a hell of a job IMO.

More like fantasy.

You guys are blind, whether that is willful or not I don't know. Anyone with any sense whatsoever cannot read articles like the one below and think that Russ is somehow walled off from football decisions.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Russ-Brandon-We-made-a-bold-move/3b340387-cd0a-4198-890c-02d08a1a5c2e

You guys are blind, whether that is willful or not I don't know. Anyone with any sense whatsoever cannot read articles like the one below and think that Russ is somehow walled off from football decisions.

http://www.buffalobi...0c-02d08a1a5c2e

Nobody said he was walled off; we said that he doesn't make them. He leaves that to Whaley. Whaley absolutely discusses them with him, but when it comes to final say, it's Whaley's--there's absolutely no doubt about this.

Todd France could be the new Overdorf.

Overdorf and Littman should be extremely short-timers now.

Eugene Parker for GM.

The People's Choice! :beer::sick:

What vexes your spirit so... the Royal "We"?

Would it have been better if Ralph were alive and he had said, "They certainly are excited about what just happened. They went into this draft saying they were going to be bold and they made a bold move." What? "Watkins was high on THEIR board." Or, "Last year when they pulled off the trade with St. Louis."

You think Ralphie would have said that?

Lon Babby was a big agent hired to run the Phoenix Suns a few years ago. His first couple years were a disaster. Then he hired an up and coming young GM Ryan McDonough and together they hired a first time coach and the team was the surprise team in the NBA last year, and should be very good for years to come.

I don't think there is a lot to draw on that. He sure made his share of blunders. I think perhaps he stumbled upon or lucked upon MCDonough but maybe it was a bold move that immediately paid huge dividends. McDonough was only 33 but had worked for 10 years for the Celtics and is the son of Will McDonough and brother of Sean McDonough the broadcaster.

The GM of the Golden State Warriors, Bob Myers, was an agent before getting this job and has done quite well. It helps though that Jerry West is a consultant for the team.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Russ-Brandon-We-made-a-bold-move/3b340387-cd0a-4198-890c-02d08a1a5c2e

Gabe, you should just let it go.

As much as I agree with you on Brandon's role in the football operations, there is a vocal faction on this board that think that position is crazy and way off base.

It's no different than you, me and others that think they are crazy to think that Brandon isn't involved in the football decision making.

Like I said in last post, I wanted to keep this discussion to the idea of France (a super agent) being influential in the Pegula ownership.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

If people think he is walled off from football decisions then you are right. I don't think very many if any people here think that. What they mean when they say he is not involved in football decisions is that he is not the one doing any scouting, not the one doing player evaluations, not the one making the decisions on whether or not Sammy Watkins is worth that trade. He is the President and the de facto owner at that time. He is of course directly involved in a decision like that and informed on every level and updated constantly.

He just doesn't say yes or no to anyone, wouldn't say anything like "I don't think Sammy is worth two number ones" to Whaley. Russ went to Ralph and fired himself as GM, saying we need a football guy in here making football decisions, which is when they went to Buddy Nix, and then Russ handled all of the stuff that Buddy didn't want to do. He is of course involved, he doesn't make player decisions.

If people think he is walled off from football decisions then you are right. I don't think very many if any people here think that. What they mean when they say he is not involved in football decisions is that he is not the one doing any scouting, not the one doing player evaluations, not the one making the decisions on whether or not Sammy Watkins is worth that trade. He is the President and the de facto owner at that time. He is of course directly involved in a decision like that and informed on every level and updated constantly.

He just doesn't say yes or no to anyone, wouldn't say anything like "I don't think Sammy is worth two number ones" to Whaley. Russ went to Ralph and fired himself as GM, saying we need a football guy in here making football decisions, which is when they went to Buddy Nix, and then Russ handled all of the stuff that Buddy didn't want to do. He is of course involved, he doesn't make player decisions.

Thank you. I don't know how many more times the situation needs to be described for folks to understand.

Oh, and he fired himself from the GM job so that one is completely false.

I agree with your position on Brandon.

He more than anyone else in the organization is responsible from turning this archaic and sclerotic organization into a modern and normal functioning organization. The line of demarcation of positive change was when the ailing owner turned over the keys to the franchise to him and gave him the authority to fully act on his behalf. Prior to that point he was executing the wishes of the owner for the simple reason that it was his job to do so.

Russ Brandon is now the president of the operation. His most important role is in structuring it rationally and staffing it with qualitive people, and then holding them accountable. In my opinion he has already done that. He is also a smart marketing and business person. But he is the antithesis of Littman who is a harsh bean counter who cares little about the performance on the field.

I am very optimistic now that Russ Brandon is the current president of the franchise. I am also excited that with a new owner and a change from the fiscally tight environment that Littman enforced that he will do what is necessary to make this franchise a very relevant frachise in the NFL.

Edited by JohnC

Who said anything about being "walled off?" He's the president and deserves to know what's going on, but that is a far cry from "making football decisions." I don't know how many knowledgeable and informed posters (and I don't include myself in that group) have to continue to correct you before you will take it to heart.

Who said anything about being "walled off?" He's the president and deserves to know what's going on, but that is a far cry from "making football decisions." I dono 't know how many knowledgeable and informed posters (and I don't include myself in that group) have to continue to correct you before you will take it to heart.

You are very astute. Don't be shy---you can include yourself in any group you want to. Brandon is not making football decisions. He is allowing his football people to do their jobs. And he has an interest in knowing what is going on. Sometimes people work too hard digging deeply to find out something that is conspicuously lying down on the surface.

Edited by JohnC