The Pegulas FIRST move as owners has already taken place

TXBILLSFAN

You are very astute. Don't be shy---you can include yourself in any group you want to. Brandon is not making football decisions. He is allowing his football people to do their jobs. And he has an interest in knowing what is going on. Sometimes people work too hard digging deeply to find out something that is conspicuously lying down on the surface.

The thing is, why would he? It's not even his job, expertise, background, forte, or anything else associated with player evaluation. I bet he rarely ever did it when Ralph inexplicably briefly put him in that job.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are very astute. Don't be shy---you can include yourself in any group you want to. Brandon is not making football decisions. He is allowing his football people to do their jobs. And he has an interest in knowing what is going on. Sometimes people work too hard digging deeply to find out something that is conspicuously lying down on the surface.

That's sig-worthy IMO

Russ went to Ralph and fired himself as GM, saying we need a football guy in here making football decisions, which is when they went to Buddy Nix, and then Russ handled all of the stuff that Buddy didn't want to do. He is of course involved, he doesn't make player decisions.

I have a hard time accepting this version of events.

I think it was more Ralph succumbing to the pressure of putting in a football guy in charge of football operations, turned to his left saw Buddy and made the decision.

The thing is, why would he? It's not even his job, expertise, background, forte, or anything else associated with player evaluation. I bet he rarely ever did it when Ralph inexplicably briefly put him in that job.

The problem with being placed in a position that one is ill-equipped for is that you don't have the background and credibility to respond to other football staffers who are also involved with making football decisions. The owner similarly placed Marv Levy in a position that he was ill-equipped for. So he (in his own words) became a facilitator instead of being substatively involved in the football operation. Just like Brandon Levy realized that he wasn't equipped for the position and took himself out of it.

Sorry, I tried my best to stay away from this and focus on France.

But, how is it digging deeply to point out:

1- Whaley reports to Brandon

2- Brandon/Whaley's press conference that Gabe posted

3- Footage of him in draft room, on the field at virtually every practice

4- Comments on drafting EJ and first hand discussions he had at FSU

5- Interviewed Marrone, Marrone is Syracuse guy

It seems like those of us who believe he is involved in football operations present facts and those of you that don't believe us rest on "unnamed sources" and belittle the facts that we do present, then ask us again "what facts do you have to suggest he is involved". Remember, the loudest person doesn't win the argument. So, "what facts do you have to suggest he isn't involved ?"

1- Whaley reports to Brandon - Chain of command.

2- Brandon/Whaley's press conference that Gabe posted - He's team president.

3- Footage of him in draft room, on the field at virtually every practice - He's team president.

4- Comments on drafting EJ and first hand discussions he had at FSU - He's team president.

5- Interviewed Marrone, Marrone is Syracuse guy - He's team president.

It seems like those of us who believe he is involved in football operations present facts and those of you that don't believe us rest on "unnamed sources" and belittle the facts that we do present, then ask us again "what facts do you have to suggest he is involved". Remember, the loudest person doesn't win the argument. So, "what facts do you have to suggest he isn't involved ?"

I'm sorry, did you just post "facts" showing Russ is involved in football decisions? I thought it was a list of things that a team president should be aware of because, you know, he's team president.

Unfortunately, you aren't presenting facts. You are presenting misrepresentations.

- As many folks have pointed out to you, time and again, every GM reports to a team president. Are you trying to tell me that every team president makes personnel decisions?

- The press conference said very clearly that Whaley and the scouting staff made the decision, and Brandon gave his approval. That's not a personnel decision; that's giving approval to use resources, just as any other team president would do if they're managing the owner's resources.

- He's in the draft room because he has relationships with people throughout the NFL. Do you have any clue who is in every other team's draft room? Are all of them making personnel decisions? Of course not.

- You say he "interviewed Marrone"...the fact of the matter is that a group consisting of Nix, Whaley, and Brandon interviewed Marrone.

Your definition of facts is slightly distorted, and it's why we end up having discussions like these.

I'm sorry, did you just post "facts" showing Russ is involved in football decisions? I thought it was a list of things that a team president should be aware of because you know, he's team president.

I'm sure your not a lawyer, but, observations are facts, so, yes, I did post facts. Facts imply he is definitely involved. You, on the other hand, as usual, choose to simply refute my observations instead of posting your own facts.

The Pegulas FIRST move as NFL owners took place a few years back when they bought Five Star Athlete Management. Five Star is one of the biggest sports agency in the NFL. While the Pegulas will have to divest themslves of this holding (5 Star reps Dareus and other NFL players), they will not divest their relationship with Five Star's founder, Todd France.

Remember the name, Todd France. He will play a significant role in the future of the Bills front office and help the Pegulas reshape the culture and create a consistent winning culture from top to bottom.

France offers a unique perspective into the NFL, being a veteran agent, he's seen good and bad front offices, what works and what doesn't work in terms of management structure and knows all the key NFL players personally. While, I don't envision him as the next GM, I am confident his role will help determine who the GM and HC going forward.

If he can do this I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, you aren't presenting facts. You are presenting misrepresentations.

- As many folks have pointed out to you, time and again, every GM reports to a team president. Are you trying to tell me that every team president makes personnel decisions?

- The press conference said very clearly that Whaley and the scouting staff made the decision, and Brandon gave his approval. That's not a personnel decision; that's giving approval to use resources, just as any other team president would do if they're managing the owner's resources.

- He's in the draft room because he has relationships with people throughout the NFL. Do you have any clue who is in every other team's draft room? Are all of them making personnel decisions? Of course not.

- You say he "interviewed Marrone"...the fact of the matter is that a group consisting of Nix, Whaley, and Brandon interviewed Marrone.

Your definition of facts is slightly distorted, and it's why we end up having discussions like these.

Once again, refute my observations and facts and offer none of your own.

I'll keep asking, since you all do it to me, "where are your facts" ?

Does The Ralph now become The Terry?

I think, as has been discussed before, that they could either keep the stadium name and sell the rights to name the field or vice versa. For example, the Denver Broncos stadium/field is named Sports Authority Field at Mile High. The Superdome retained it's name but added the Mercedes-Benz to the beginning.

Also, here's a picture of the Seahawks' draft day war room:

06e2920.jpg

That's Jeff Dunn, the team's VP of Analytics, sitting next to Pete Carroll. He has no background in football, as he used to work in the private equity investment group of Vulcan Capital. Why is he making personnel decisions?

I think it was more Ralph succumbing to the pressure of putting in a football guy in charge of football operations, turned to his left saw Buddy and made the decision.

My understanding of the situation after the Brandon elevation and departure from the position was a list of people to be interviewed for the GM position was given to the owner. The owner reviewed the list and only recognized Nix as someone he knew. Without interviewing anyone else he selected Buddy because he knew him.

Did Brandon voluntarily relinquish the position or did Wilson decide to make a change? I'm leaning towards Brandon voluntarily left a position he was uncomfortable in. There is another interesting question? Was Nix "encouraged" to retire (still on the payroll as a emeritus scout) or did he leave on his own? Brandon and Buddy were very close. Brandon appreciated the respectful way he was treated by the much more experienced football person.

Also, here's a picture of the Seahawks' draft day war room:

06e2920.jpg

That's Jeff Dunn, the team's VP of Analytics, sitting next to Pete Carroll. He has no background in football, as he used to work in the private equity investment group of Vulcan Capital. Why is he making personnel decisions?

Bandit, I respect you as a poster, but, COME ON. If you want to argue and debate, diversion is not the way to go.

Again, do you have any facts to support your position, or are your facts refuting mine ?

As side note: I did get an opportunity to be in the Falcons draft room one year, best experience ever. Oh, and virtually every person in that room was involved

I'm sure your not a lawyer, but, observations are facts, so, yes, I did post facts. Facts imply he is definitely involved. You, on the other hand, as usual, choose to simply refute my observations instead of posting your own facts.

See bandits' post for the perfect rebuttal of your "facts."

Bandit, I respect you as a poster, but, COME ON. If you want to argue and debate, diversion is not the way to go.

Again, do you have any facts to support your position, or are your facts refuting mine ?

As side note: I did get an opportunity to be in the Falcons draft room one year, best experience ever. Oh, and virtually every person in that room was involved

So in other words, there were people in the draft room not making football decisions? Thanks. That's an excellent "fact" to refute your position regarding Brandon.

Your observations are just that, observations. They may be factual, but they aren't facts as to support "Brandon is making football decisions." You are observing something and making your own conclusions. Try this, find a quote anywhere, where Russ Brandon has said "I am making the football decisions." That would be a fact and support your opinion. The problem is you can't find that quote.

Why would Brandon hide from the media, the fans and pretty much everyone in the NFL that he's making football decisions? To what gain?

EDIT: You want a fact to refute your "facts" here you go:

Russ Brandon since becoming Team President has never said he is "making football decisions".

Edited by Wayne Cubed

What I both heard and remember, was that the Bills were indeed looking to put a football guy in charge because it was glaringly obvious that Brandon had no business making football decisions. Brandon, being the shrewd and smart guy that he is, went to Ralph and fired himself, preserving his own marketing and PR job, and gave Ralph a list of football guys that could take over the football side, while he, Brandon, ran the business side. Plus was the face of the franchise, when Buddy was not really equipped to do that (and the reason he was never hired to be a GM in the first place). This is another of Brandon's abilities.

Nix was already hired as a scout. The other guy Brandon suggested was JAG, just another guy who happened to be named John Guy. Instead of going outside the business, Ralph appreciated Brandon's gesture and suggestion, and went with Buddy.

This is just one of several articles on it at the time. It doesn't prove anything.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/bills-decision-to-hire-nix-draws-criticism/

Brandon has stated on numerous occasions that he is not involved in the football operation. According to him Whaley and his staff make those types of decisions. He is the president of the company. So without a doubt decisions that they make go to him. He has a right to know and a responsibiliy to know what decisions are going to be made before they are officially made.

I don't understand the controversy about Brandon being in the draft room. There is nothing sinister or out of the ordinary about the makeup of that draft room. He was helping with the logistics of juggling a number of phone calls. There is nothing inappropriate about that. As far as the hiring of the HC I'm sure he was involved to an extent. But the GM has the most influential say on that critical hire.

On certain issues it is impossible to prove one way or another. What I know for sure is that Brandon has on more than a few occasions categorically stated that he doesn't get involved in the football side of the business. He also has stated that he knows what is going on because he is informed on what is going on.

I am very confident that Whaley was responsbile for the trade up on draft day for Watkins. Was Brandon informed prior to the draft of the possibility of that maneuver? Probably so. But without a doubt Brandon was not involved in that football decision.

Edited by JohnC