The Pegulas FIRST move as owners has already taken place

TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a bit of this discussion some time ago, I think.

Pegula has to divest of Five Star, I believe. So a good early step will be selling the agency.

As for France, I also questioned why anyone thought he would be brought in to be a GM or help pick one. That doesn't necessarily fit together for me. With that said, I really don't know his specific knowledge base or skill set. Perhaps he is suited for something in the front office. Can't say he isn't, based simply on what we know he has done. He might have some value to the team as a negotiator or consultant to Pegula (if Pegula respects his analysis and judgement). But I imagine he has some better options if he is as good as the OP believes.

i would guess the primary benefit would be having someone that he could use as a sounding board on how to help fix the perception issues. the perspective would be useful, if the relationship is strong.

i think the idea that hed pick the GM would be overstating it by miles but he might be able to give some feedback on the pros and cons of the city, facilities and our staff.

Edited by NoSaint

Leave Doug Whaley in place, but move Brandon back to the business only side, and out of the football decision making chain.

Which is where he is now. But we can move him into the basement if that make you feel better. God forbid the president of the team talks to his GM to know what's going on!

Please...Do you really believe he plays no role? We know he negotiated the Brown trade. We know he is actively involved in the draft room, offering input. We know that he threw down the marker to make a "bold" move. We know that our original GM search was as weak as it was precisely because he wanted to retain power over football decision. He has the same itch for football decisions as Jerry Jones. And he's not giving that authority up as long as he's employed at OBD. That's why he needs to be terminated.

He's the effin' team president. He has the right to be in the loop. That doesn't mean he's calling the shots.

The Pegulas trust and respect France, you hire people you trust and respect.

Second, I NEVER said France would come in and fire Whaley or Marrone, I said he would have significant say over who the GM and HC will be, it could very well be Whaley and/or Marrone.

Lastly, France's contribution is knowledge of what works and doesn't work from a management and front office structure AND his perspective on personnel (front office as well as football) from around the league.

The Pegulas are determined to win and will build a front office and organizational culture that meets that objective.

Please...Do you really believe he plays no role? We know he negotiated the Brown trade. We know he is actively involved in the draft room, offering input. We know that he threw down the marker to make a "bold" move. We know that our original GM search was as weak as it was precisely because he wanted to retain power over football decision. He has the same itch for football decisions as Jerry Jones. And he's not giving that authority up as long as he's employed at OBD. That's why he needs to be terminated.

What in God's name are you talking about?

What in God's name are you talking about?

He saw Russ on a video in the war room draft day talking on the phone. Obviously he was trying to submarine Whaley cutting his own deals...or he was ordering take out.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

<sigh> Russ is already solely on the business side. This has been discussed over and over again. Russ isn't making football decisions.

^ This

This is not correct.

Whaley made the trade; Russ worked the phones at Whaley's behest.

And yes, for the record, Russ does not make a single football decision. Whaley does. Could Russ veto Whaley if he really wanted to? Yes. Will he? Very, very, very unlikely. Russ has wanted, from day 1, to empower his football people, not overrule them.

That's what he's done.

He did NOT negotiate the Browns trade. He relayed information over the phone from Whaley.

^ This as well

He saw Russ on a video in the war room draft day talking on the phone. Obviously he was trying to submarine Whaley cutting his own deals...or he was ordering take out.

There are people who STILL believe that? That's just crazy. Where have they been?

<sigh> Russ is already solely on the business side. This has been discussed over and over again. Russ isn't making football decisions.

So when Doug was screaming at Russ on the sideline in front of the team, he was simply voicing his displeasure ar Russ for replacing hash browns with less expensive tator tots at the training table breakfast?

The Pegulas trust and respect France, you hire people you trust and respect.

Second, I NEVER said France would come in and fire Whaley or Marrone, I said he would have significant say over who the GM and HC will be, it could very well be Whaley and/or Marrone.

Lastly, France's contribution is knowledge of what works and doesn't work from a management and front office structure AND his perspective on personnel (front office as well as football) from around the league.

The Pegulas are determined to win and will build a front office and organizational culture that meets that objective.

What do you base this on? An agent (with a fairly modest stable of NFL players) knows "what works and doesn't work" in a NFL front office? Yeah, maybe for his clients, but for a football team? And his "perspective" on FO personal around the league I'm sure begins and ends with "I'm gonna sweat them for every dollar, or my man holds out", etc.

This makes no sense at all. I doubt a guy as smart as Pegula would let his friendship with a former business partner cloud his judgement on building a football organization.

If thus France guy is worth his salt, he will fire Russ Brandon as the first order of business.

FYI for all of those people who defend Brandon: you are not shareholders of the business. It should not matter to you what he does on the business side of things and whether those initiatives are successful or not. As a fan, what should matter is the product on the field. And it has sucked since 2009.

He has headed an inept organization since 2009 that has placed profits above winning. He cares about keeping fans interested, not winning, hence the "bold moves" that no one else in the league would consider.

He needs to be tossed out on his ear.

So... You take issue with Brandon keeping the team profitable durring a long period of losing?

Had you stopped to consider that if the team hadn't remained profitable, it most likely wouldn't still be in Western NY.

You owe Russ Brandon a great deal of "thanks".

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I've been involved in the buying and selling of companies. Usually, in my experience, the buyer (in this case Pegula) doesn't usually maintain a close relationship with the seller (in this case, France).

Do you become friendly with - and seek advice from - the people who sell you things?

I guess the better question is...

Do you have any information that Pegula and France have become friendly?

Edited by hondo in seattle

So when Doug was screaming at Russ on the sideline in front of the team, he was simply voicing his displeasure ar Russ for replacing hash browns with less expensive tator tots at the training table breakfast?

What do you base this on? An agent (with a fairly modest stable of NFL players) knows "what works and doesn't work" in a NFL front office? Yeah, maybe for his clients, but for a football team? And his "perspective" on FO personal around the league I'm sure begins and ends with "I'm gonna sweat them for every dollar, or my man holds out", etc.

This makes no sense at all. I doubt a guy as smart as Pegula would let his friendship with a former business partner cloud his judgement on building a football organization.

You can believe it or not, but, France will play a significant role and it makes all the sense in the world. Your description of his relationship with France, "friendship with a former business partner", is way off. He is a respected business partner and trusted advisor.

As for his knowledge, you are way underestimating this guy. He knows the NFL and offers a unique perspective and will have the Pegulas ear throughout this process.

The only scenario where he doesn't play a permanent long term role is if he wants to "buyback" his agency and continue to lead it. I'm betting he doesn't.