The Pegulas FIRST move as owners has already taken place

TXBILLSFAN

Indeed. If this turns out to be true, then TXBILLS deserves the credit for delivering the news way before it actually happened.

Bravo!

Yeah, he had this one a long time ago. I don't think many doubted it, as it both tracked with history and made sense from a business standpoint. I think most of the debate has centered around just what his role would be within the organization.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Just answer. ;) When you wrote Polian or an agent I thought you were questioning them both as being ridiculous. Ha. And since you are normally like the guy in The Argument Clinic who always takes the contrary position or the "automatic gainsay" I thought that was a reasonable assumption. Lol.

I'm with WEO on this issue. I'm not commenting on the agent because I have little knowledge about him. But the approach of going backto the past to secure the services of Polian to advance the future of this franchise is a failed nostalgic approach that Ralph Wilson resorted to.

Make no mistake that Bill Polian is a HOF GM who did his best work in Buffalo. But that output happened almost a quarter century ago.His work in Indianapolis was (in my opinion) less than sterling. If Pegula wants to have a fresh set of eyes to evaluate this franchise I would prefer that he would talk to a number of people, possibly including Polian, to get some sense how this organization is perceived throughout the league.

Agree on the Overdorf position. I also think the Pegs will covet the knowledge he brings with respect to the workings of NFL FO's. I think with the Pegs willingness to spend money, I can see them poaching talent from other team's scouting departments and FO's. Agents typically have very good relationships with scouts.

I am very intrigued on the Polian angle. I was always a proponent of bringing him back after Indy tossed him aside, if nothing else for a mentor for Whaley. I thought he had a hell of a lot more to offer than Buddy.

Considering Polian's rep of having a temper and what Pegula just went through with Pat LaFontaine, does he take the chance?

Considering Polian's rep of having a temper and what Pegula just went through with Pat LaFontaine, does he take the chance?

I think it would work in a limited role, similar to Craig Patrick with the Sabres or maybe it's temporary as they transition in the ownership. I keep looking at the Sabres and the lessons the Pegs learned and not repeating what didn't work and replicating what in the end did work. I've posted this before, but the Pegs like the split organization, where Black runs operations and is separated from the hockey department.

I wouldn't be in favour of Polian tbh. Backwards step. Huge respect for him and his work both here and elsewhere in the NFL, was happy for him when he finally won a Superbowl, but he isn't the answer for me. Whaley doesn't need mentoring and if he feels he does need a wise old ear to consult he has Buddy Nix still about to bounce things off.

I wouldn't be in favour of Polian tbh. Backwards step. Huge respect for him and his work both here and elsewhere in the NFL, was happy for him when he finally won a Superbowl, but he isn't the answer for me. Whaley doesn't need mentoring and if he feels he does need a wise old ear to consult he has Buddy Nix still about to bounce things off.

It depends on what Polian would be asked to do. If he is just a sounding board, someone who knows every aspect about how a well run football conducts his business, and also simply does somewhat of an audit, that could be very valuable to Pegula. Tim Murray, on his first year on the job as a GM, probably doesn't "need" any mentoring from a guy like Craig Patrick either but he's great to have there. I think that's a pretty good model for what a guy like Polian would do.

While I like Brandon and what he has done on the business side, there are a lot of members of the Bills front office who have been there for ever, not counting the Littman Overdorf faction, that may need replacing. Or at the very least an outside evaluation.

The Polian idea in a Craig Patrick/Auditor role seems like a good idea to me.

I'm not sure France can be given enough power to lure him out of his agent role, unless he just wants out to do something else and advance his career. It would be great if we could get him in the Overdorf role but I doubt that's big enough.