Board Performance

SDS

If you suspect it is database issues, many times it is disk I/O. If you host the database on the same server as the web server, chances are the drives are configured for serving web pages, and not the transactional nature of a database.

If you have an easy way to archive, that's probably your best bet. Also make sure you have proper indexing and standard database maintenance (nightly reindex, transaction log maintenance, updating statistics on a regular basis, etc.)

Or you could try the brute force method and either throw more hardware at it or move it to Amazon (or other cloud service of choice). Just my $.02.

This is the best reply so far. If you're using MySQL, this should not be a problem. MySQL can handle much more than 3 million records. Indexing, table structure and server optimization for DB calls is most likely the problem as Todd said. A hosting plan at $310 month should be fine for this board. I'm assuming you're on a dedicated box at that price. If not, look into a dedicated box. More than likely it's a memory configuration issue. I'm not expert so that just my 2 cents.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work with a guy who loved to tell people calling for help that the problem was between the keyboard and the chair.

Just gotta watch out for those ID-10T errors. Once they show up, they never go away.

Good point came up in the shoutbox just now. Is the shoutbox being stored to your DB? I would consider clearing that out if that's the case since it's a rolling chatroom anyways.

Edited by The Wiz

Is it possible to do away with the post counter completely? Except maybe for newbies? Once you get past 1000 posts, it doesn't really seem to be terribly important to keep track.

another idea is to do away with the Avatars and signatures. Seems to be wasting lots of space on the server, in my opinion.

Edited by Maddog69

Or he could dump DC Tom - takes care of multiple problems in one shot. :P

From a technical perspective, probably a good first step.

I'm behind this 100% :thumbsup:

Money isn't the issue - I appreciate the offers, but that's not what I'm asking for. It's really just a matter of the past content being accessible or if I need to throw more hardware at the solution.

I wonder If locking and archiving real old threads might help then SDS

Posters don't need access to hundreds of old, open threads IMO ( they just want dirt on me)

Edited by Donald Duck

1. When calling someone Einstein in a sarcastic manner, it is best to make sure your spelling of Einstein is correct.

2. I'm willing to take that risk.

It's more like throwing raw, rancid, wormy meat over the neighbor's fence.

I am on a Droid 4 still...

It was a typo... Too fast with my thumbs and doubled the T too early in combo with the S. I posted @ 11.38, edited @ 11:40... You posted @ 11:43 and had my original non-edited post captured in the 2 minutes I took to edit. What were you doing for 5 minutes? Picking your nose... It doesn't take 5 minutes to post what you did.

Just busting your balls Cap't! ;-P ;-P....

Money isn't the issue - I appreciate the offers, but that's not what I'm asking for. It's really just a matter of the past content being accessible or if I need to throw more hardware at the solution.

Mary is cheap