Board Performance

SDS

With over 3 million posts in the database, things are starting to creak, if not actually break down. Although I haven't officially diagnosed database size as being the reason it is slower these days, it seems to have gotten progressively worse as the seasons pass.

So, that's an issue. I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this.

Given that this is database size driven, I could possibly buy another license of IPB and offload a decade worth of posts, make it archive only. This will affect post counts, etc... on active board.

I could just also just delete those posts. Not a big fan of that option.

Or, perhaps there is a server tweak I have missed or there is something happening in the background that is causing the long page load times. Regardless, I'll need a plan of action for this season...

Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have access to the physical server? Could be worth it to backup the db, temporarily remove data and diagnose if the obscene size is indeed causing the performance hit (then restore data back afterwards). That could take awhile though.

Or if you have access to the db, run some queries to see how long a simple select query from the posts table takes to run

Given that this is database size driven, I could possibly buy another license of IPB and offload a decade worth of posts, make it archive only. This will affect post counts, etc... on active board.

Thoughts?

Is there an option to archive posts from say 5 years back ? I am not sure we need to refer to those older posts. I am not an IT guy, so probably don't understand why post count is related to activeness of the posts. But, I don't care about my post count but if most people like it, there should be a field under that person's profile where you could freeze the post counts till the date of the archive. So, if say, you archived all posts before Sept 5, 2009 then freeze the post count till that date with the new counter starting on 9/6/2009.

Just a thought but yea I am seeing performance issues myself.

(thanx as always for this board, Scott)

With over 3 million posts in the database, things are starting to creak, if not actually break down. Although I haven't officially diagnosed database size as being the reason it is slower these days, it seems to have gotten progressively worse as the seasons pass.

Or, perhaps there is a server tweak I have missed or there is something happening in the background that is causing the long page load times. Regardless, I'll need a plan of action for this season...

Thoughts?

Post counts are kinda silly, so I vote archive/offload. That way, things could still be referenced, some how.

I'd be willing to donate a bit, if there's big costs.

I thought this thread was going about the quality of posting going down :bag: . Nonetheless, it would be nice to the post archived, but if it is too cost prohibitive, I'm sure most would understand.

Edit: 6000th post...again woo hoo. Post count really is not a big deal for most except may be Tom, lol

Edited by justnzane

Thoughts?

Scott - I just started a website and we are going to use an Amazon cloud server ($150/month and can add space immediately for additional charges when needed). I don't know how yours is set up, but if it is a matter of some of us kicking in some cash, I'm sure many members would be willing to contribute (including myself). Great board so keep me and the others up to date if you need anything ($) so we can keep it going. Thanks again.

This runs in a sql server database I assume? I can ask some of our folks for tuning recommendations who work with that database, I generally stay with oracle.

In my experience and what I've noticed hitting the website you seem to be hitting i/o back to disk more often. If you can check i/o statistics over time that may be shown there. Since by the nature of this website you have a lot of inserts but not much other dml I don't think object rebuilds would help unless as you said there is data removed. If possible, can you add memory to the database cache? I think this could help if there has been an increase in i/o's due to the size of the underlying data.

Let me know what database software you're running and I'll find out what I can.

Scott - I just started a website and we are going to use an Amazon cloud server ($150/month and can add space immediately for additional charges when needed). I don't know how yours is set up, but if it is a matter of some of us kicking in some cash, I'm sure many members would be willing to contribute (including myself). Great board so keep me and the others up to date if you need anything ($) so we can keep it going. Thanks again.

To be honest, I have not looked into these new server implementations. I assume Amazon knows how to do these things. I pay $310/month... The hardware is great, but I think we are just hitting the limit when too many requests come in at the same time. I assume RAM is the culprit here, but that's just my gut...

To be honest, I have not looked into these new server implementations. I assume Amazon knows how to do these things. I pay $310/month... The hardware is great, but I think we are just hitting the limit when too many requests come in at the same time. I assume RAM is the culprit here, but that's just my gut...

Thanks for all the hard work and making the site gr8. Would it help if we strike up a collection?

Thoughts?

do large embedded pictures hurt performance? I've noticed a lot of the images are much larger than in the past and I've been trying to post only the smaller ones.

Can you omit images in quotes?

If you have an IT guy that helps you out, a cloud server through Amazon is an option (rather than continually upgrading a hard drive server, etc).