ESPN Power Rankings/Watkins Trade

Gabe Northern

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need blue chip players to win. Bills took a gamble on one who has superstar potential.

If ends up being 11th and Sammy is a 1500 yard reciever for 10 years will you really care?

If we go to the playoffs I won't care. But if EJ busts, and we miss a franchise QB with that pick, Watkins better be the next Jerry Rice

We were (are) not a receiver away from the playoffs so it was a dumb move.

Flame on.

We picked up more than one receiver in the offseason. We had a great draft, picked up Brandon Spikes, Graham, a starting linebacker, and seem to be pretty healthy. EJ has neither earned nor received any positive reviews from anybody. But he might just work out. The defense is stout. If we only win 4 or 5 games, I will eat my hat.

Browns expected to draft 3rd and 4th next April. See: http://espn.go.com/n...ear/2014/week/1

For those people who liked the Watkins trade: Even if you think basically every prediction is wrong and biased against the Bills, don't you think it's at least a little crazy to trade #9 to move up to #4 if next year's selection has a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5?

Virtually every preview I've seen has the Bills picking in the top 10 next year. Watkins would have to be Hall of Fame bound for this trade to make sense.

Whatever your point of view, didn't this ship already sail?

The Bills picked him. It's an interesting case study in cognitive bias. Before the draft virtually no one supported trading next year's first to move up. After the move most fans inexplicably did a 180 and decided that the move was not only acceptable; it was !@#$ing brilliant.

Now people defend a move they'd ridicule if someone else did it, not because they think it was a good move, but because they want it to be a good move.

this.

while the player himself isn't a high risk pick the price paid made him a longshot to result in value.. hitting a longshot requires luck and the bills apparently haven't had much of that. i'm wondering what others critical of the trade would find an acceptable draft pick. i would say a second was still a reach, regardless of where we finish this year.

Edited by birdog1960

The Bills picked him. It's an interesting case study in cognitive bias. Before the draft virtually no one supported trading next year's first to move up. After the move most fans inexplicably did a 180 and decided that the move was not only acceptable; it was !@#$ing brilliant.

Now people defend a move they'd ridicule if someone else did it, not because they think it was a good move, but because they want it to be a good move.

I agree with ya Rob! I for one never supported the trade. I thought it was a bad idea from the get go. It was way to high a price for moving up just five spots. We had / have to many needs to give the extra pick this year away, and a first round pick next year. Anyone predicting that Watkins is a generational player before he has played a down of football that counts is a moron. I remember hearing talk some years ago that this guy Ryan Leaf was going to be a messiah for who ever he played for and that he was an exceptional talent. Low and behold he was a bum.

BigPappy

Never liked this trade. 2 1s is a franchise player for free agency. IMHO I thought we needed a tall Wr like Evans or Benjamin. I just had my fantasy draft as was thinking. most of the WRs going at the top are big physical receivers, not quite sure thats what Sammy is. Whaley better pray to god there isnt a good QB where the Bills pick next year because I dont want to miss out on another Rogers because somebody gave up too much for Losman. And no Im not comparing Watkins to Losman, just that I never like giving up next years no. 1. It just felt like a trade only Buffalo would make.

obviously the Bills didnt think there would be a reasonable chance of landing in the top 5 next year when they made the trade

i still dont think they end up in top five, most likely where they have been recent, 8-12 something like that

Exactly. In my opinion there's a greater chance they are outside the top 10 than inside. If my feeling is correct than the trade for Watkins makes all the sense in the world.

As I've been saying, the success of this trade depends more on EJ Manuel than Sammy Watkins.

If Sammy goes for 1,500 yards and 12 TDs and we go 5-11 and we STILL need our franchise QB (and if this sounds implausible, look at the Browns and Gordon) then we'll probably remember the trade as a failure.

If, God forbid, Sammy sucks and/or proves injury prone it'll be disastrous.

If Sammy is great and EJ takes the reins of this team for the next several years, it'll be remembered as a good move.

Here's hoping we open door number 3!

The confidence really shown through with that trade. I loved it.

They know deep down that they're competing for a playoff spot this year. They know that if EJ had stayed healthy, they would've been competing for one last year.

They recognized a HOF-type talent and snatched him up. The Bills have been lacking that type of moxy for years.

Watkins: only true freshman WR in history to make first team all-American. Greatness.

Edited by LeGOATski

if the guy turns out to be a beast i would be happy with it. mostly due to the outstanding 1st round picks made by this organization in the last 10 years. don't want to give them too many top picks they will have a higher chance of picking someone that everyone on here hates until he signs somewhere else and then he will be the greatest talent ever that they shouldn't have let go

For those who think winning will make the trade worth it:

If I you put your paycheck on black on the roulette wheel and it comes up black, was it a smart move that showed confidence?

I don't think so. The odds made it a bad move. I think that the odds from the (supposedly unbiased) ESPN rankings and other sources suggest the odds of a top-10 pick are pretty high. If Watkins isn't a superduperstar, that is a bad trade.