ESPN Power Rankings/Watkins Trade

Gabe Northern

It's not like we dominated them. They outgained us in yards and the game was a tossup going into OT. We won the game because we won the turnover battle.

I get what you are saying, and for the most part I agree, but they were the home team on opening weekend. Everything was in their favor. Just because we didn't outscore them by 40 points doesn't mean it was a tossup.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not rocket science? Explain why Tennessee and Vikings ranked above the Bills? Vikes beat Rams who had worse record and playing without QB and Tennessee beat Chiefs?

Two reasons:

1. Because Power Rankings are subjective garbage not worth trying to figure out any formula behind.

2. Head to head competition cant really be used since everyone beats everyone. For example, see the 2012 parity wheel:

1853g0bxr2nyppng.png

I don't get how the Bills are ranked lower than the team they beat in their house? And why is Tennessee so adored? Is Jake Locker that much better than EJ? Is their defense any better than ours?

yeah! Deadspin said the Bills had the black Jake Locker! We should be ranked higher since he is awesome now.

If you look back at the first round of the NFL draft over the course of several years there are a high % of misses or marginally servicable players that come out of the first round. Sammy Watkins was widely viewed and still is a rare talent with a very strong work ethic, which is also a rare combination with todays young athletes. My immediate reaction to the trade was negative to say the least, but after given a little time to digest the trade barring injury IMHO I believe we will all look back and applaud the day we made this deal.

Anybody know of any statistical rankings. They do it in other sports. It doesn't mean much mid season, but in other sports (racing sports) that even take conditions into consideration, they can pretty accurately pick the top 6 teams and finishing distance. Would be cool for football.

I am a real old timer, having had season tickets a couple of years at War Memorial Stadium. I have seen them all, mostly. (including Duby) After seeing Watkins live the first time last Sunday, he reminds me of Andre Reed, especially when running those short under crossing patterns which turn into 15-20 yard gains. If Sammy turns into another Andre Reed, it was a great trade. And, after one viewing, I think that is a possibility.