How long do you give EJ

How long do you give EJ?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do you give EJ to prove himself this season?

• As soon as he starts to struggle
    • Until bye week (8 games)
    • The full season

Blah, Blah, freakin' Blah,.......

Another EJ thread, I swear there must be contest here or something!

Just can't let a QB play without trying to predict how long the coaching staff can put up with such a terrible player, my god

And besides, if he is sucking and is pulled in favor of Orton, does that mean Orton has to start the next game?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give him until about 2:30 on Sunday. It is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't a homer that EJ just doesn't have it. Good QB's do not come into the league anymore and struggle for years. College offenses have become more like the pros and NFL offenses have adapted to be more like college. Plus these guys are much more well groomed than they were 20 years ago.

Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, and even Garoppolo have looked much further along in their development during the preseason than EJ. They consistently made throws that EJ is still struggling to make. EJ is hesitant and just doesn't have the instincts to be a great QB. If he is struggling to score by halftime against the horrible Bears defense, I probably give him one drive in the 3rd to see if he can get it going before I pull him for Orton.

Trust me I hope I am wrong about EJ and that will be the tastiest piece of crow I ever choked down, but as of right now, I have very little faith in him.

Edited by Proteus

I don't like the options. EJ's job is safe for as long as it takes Orton to learn the playbook. Once that happens, Manuel's job is on the line. Paying Orton $5 Million is a huge sum for a backup. The Bills FO and Marrone must have little confidence in Manuel. Why else pay that kind of money?

Here's an odd thought, what if Marrone had Manuel working on throws that he struggles with during the pre-season?

You mean all of them? Wildly inaccurate on the long ball, struggles to hit intermediate routes and even makes WR's work hard to catch short passes and screens which means the WR's can't catch the ball in stride and have no time to accelerate before the defenders are on them.

Edited by Proteus

I voted for the whole season, but I think Manuel getting injured is the issue. The definition of "injured" may change depending on how he plays. I doubt they will pull him early in the season just for bad play, but they may decide he is "injured" and use that as an opportunity to pull him if he is not showing some sort of improvement during the first half of the season. Many QBs get banged up, so the opportunity to declare that he is "injured" could be the approach that the Dougs take to make the switch without obviously pulling him for obvious bad play.

Part of me thinks he's been over coached, and is trying too hard to be perfect, and just can't pick it up at the pace needed to start. EJ reminds me of a guy who needs to sit behind a Brady and get 3 years like Mallett to develop into starting skills.

For EJ, he has until Orton learns the playbook and chemistry with his WR. I've watched Orton for quite some time, and he would be a short term upgrade over EJ. I'd love it if EJ had time to develop like they thought would happen with Kolb, and turn out to be our franchise guy. The game is too fast for him, and can't believe how much he stares down WR.

Man, i hope I'm wrong. I hope EJ comes out, plays loose, and has a great game in Chicago, then comes home to a very attainable win in Miami, and gains the confidence he needs. I really don't see that happening, but i want it to happen.

I give him until about 2:30 on Sunday. It is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't a homer that EJ just doesn't have it. Good QB's do not come into the league anymore and struggle for years. College offenses have become more like the pros and NFL offenses have adapted to be more like college. Plus these guys are much more well groomed than they were 20 years ago.

Bortles, Carr, Bridgewater, and even Garoppolo have looked much further along in their development during the preseason than EJ. They consistently made throws that EJ is still struggling to make. EJ is hesitant and just doesn't have the instincts to be a great QB. If he is struggling to score by halftime against the horrible Bears defense, I probably give him one drive in the 3rd to see if he can get it going before I pull him for Orton.

Trust me I hope I am wrong about EJ and that will be the tastiest piece of crow I ever choked down, but as of right now, I have very little faith in him.

You are welcome and encouraged to voice whatever your opinion may be. However, IMO, it is absolutely the height of arrogance to voice your opinion as fact, which is what you are doing. To say it is "painfully obvious" and that only a "homer" could possibly have any other view that is different than yours is pure condescension and belittling to those who disagree with you. Your opinion is merely that: an opinion. Believe it or not, individuals who are every bit as intelligent, rational, and thoughtful as you can actually have differing opinions on this topic. There is no need to be arrogantly dismissive of those who disagree with you.

Edited by billsfan1959

Here's an odd thought, what if Marrone had Manuel working on throws that he struggles with during the pre-season?

Well, I Guess he had not improved those throws much then even after the extra work. unless finally connecting against scrubs

In the second half can be counted as progress in a single PS game.

i think he gets a fair shot with the whole season to prove himself.

You are welcome and encouraged to voice whatever your opinion may be. However, IMO, it is absolutely the height of arrogance to voice your opinion as fact, which is what you are doing. To say it is "painfully obvious" and that only a "homer" could possibly have any other view that is different than yours is pure condescension and belittling to those who disagree with you. Your opinion is merely that: an opinion. Believe it or not, individuals who are every bit as intelligent, rational, and thoughtful as you can actually have differing opinions on this topic. There is no need to be arrogantly dismissive of those who disagree with you.

Soft as baby ****. That is what is wrong with so many people in this country. Everything has to be prefaced with imo or imho or some self righteous jerk is going to tell you that you are an arrogant !@#$. This is a message board bud. People come here to express their opinions and one of my opinions happens to be that, people who are blindly just going to give half or a whole season to EJ, no matter what, are homers and they probably don't know anything about football. We have a good team and if you give Orton time he will get the ball to the weapons we have and this offense could put up some points. If our defense is strong then I could easily see us contend for the division this year with Orton.

Sorry Pal but it is my opinion that 14 straight years of losing is enough for me. It is my opinion that another year of no passing attack and an offense that struggles to score will make it 15 straight years. I it is my opinion that if we give a another season to a young QB that just isn't good enough, that is just another year on the body for Kyle Williams, Mario, Eric Wood and others. I am of the opinion that sooner or later we have to just make the God damn playoffs!

This is year 15 and I want it to be a winner. If we stick we EJ all the way and he fails, this thing could easily hit 20. Orton I think is good enough to get a very good supporting cast into the playoffs. That is what I think we have here, and I think it is better than the one he had in Denver. So I am absolutely not willing to just give him the year. It is time for EJ to put on his big boy pants and show us if he can do it or not. None of this "the coaches told me I played well so I'm happy." If he is struggling at halftime of this game in Chicago, against a weak defense, in a league that practically gives the offense every break they can, then EJ can sit his ass on the bench.

This is all my opinion of course. I will make sure to preface it next time.

I voted until he struggles but I don't like this poll or any poll. It's a sliding scale thing... If it's clear that we just simply have the WORST QB in the NFL and he is scared and can't hit the broad side of a barn then pull him. If he's having ups and downs then don't...

Maybe a better way to look at it is, 'do we no matter what let this season ride on the development of EJ Manuel.' And the answer to that is no.

This. I'm done throwing seasons away in the name of "development."

Yep! And while the last 14 years aren't EJs fault, and I don't hold the last 14 years against him, we have to good of a team to throw away in the name of EJs development.

Now, that last paragraph is NOT bashing EJ. If you're upset about it then go back and read it. I'm not saying EJ sucks. I'm saying if he struggles..."if"...

Yep! And while the last 14 years aren't EJs fault, and I don't hold the last 14 years against him, we have to good of a team to throw away in the name of EJs development.

Now, that last paragraph is NOT bashing EJ. If you're upset about it then go back and read it. I'm not saying EJ sucks. I'm saying if he struggles..."if"...

Needless to say, you have the best avatar on the whole site, so congratulations.

Soft as baby ****. That is what is wrong with so many people in this country. Everything has to be prefaced with imo or imho or some self righteous jerk is going to tell you that you are an arrogant !@#$. This is a message board bud. People come here to express their opinions and one of my opinions happens to be that, people who are blindly just going to give half or a whole season to EJ, no matter what, are homers and they probably don't know anything about football. We have a good team and if you give Orton time he will get the ball to the weapons we have and this offense could put up some points. If our defense is strong then I could easily see us contend for the division this year with Orton.

Sorry Pal but it is my opinion that 14 straight years of losing is enough for me. It is my opinion that another year of no passing attack and an offense that struggles to score will make it 15 straight years. I it is my opinion that if we give a another season to a young QB that just isn't good enough, that is just another year on the body for Kyle Williams, Mario, Eric Wood and others. I am of the opinion that sooner or later we have to just make the God damn playoffs!

This is year 15 and I want it to be a winner. If we stick we EJ all the way and he fails, this thing could easily hit 20. Orton I think is good enough to get a very good supporting cast into the playoffs. That is what I think we have here, and I think it is better than the one he had in Denver. So I am absolutely not willing to just give him the year. It is time for EJ to put on his big boy pants and show us if he can do it or not. None of this "the coaches told me I played well so I'm happy." If he is struggling at halftime of this game in Chicago, against a weak defense, in a league that practically gives the offense every break they can, then EJ can sit his ass on the bench.

This is all my opinion of course. I will make sure to preface it next time.

I hate to sound like a homer, but if you knew anything about this, you would know their stats are very similar. QB ratings are 79.9 and 77.7. Why would you go with a vet in his 9th year and is at his ceiling rather then a 2nd year QB who has room to grow when their career stats are similar? What in 8 years has Kyle won. He's never started a playoff game, zero in 8 seasons, and the 2005 Bears were better than this team will be. HE'S 35-35 IN HIS CAREER.What didn't happen in Chicago or Denver or KC or Dallas that's going to happen here? So there Ace, I just thought I'd offer a totally different opinion on why going with EJ past halftime in the first game might be prudent.