If you live in the market of a different NFL team...

YoloinOhio

If you live in the market of a different NFL team...  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Have you:

• Become a fan of that team (but 2nd to the Bills)?
    • Become a fan of that team (more than the Bills)?
    • Grown to strongly dislike that team?
    • Become apathetic to that team, despite all the coverage/knowledge you get?

chicago area for the past 25 years. hated the bears at first then kind of liked them because the fans in this area are knowledgeable and many of my friends / acquantences actually started to like the Bills and enjoyed watching them, especially from 1989 to 2000. i respect bears fans because they respect other teams and only really dislike one team- green bay.

as for the bears now- I am apathetic at best.

Edited by jethro_tull

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While living in Chicago I grew to like them in the late 90's as a secondary team. About 10 years ago it grew to hate. Mostly due to their uneducated fans and nonsense. The last straw was when I went to see the Bills and Bears play. The Bills were losing by over 30 points at halftime and the fans still wouldn't lay off there terrible behavior. The only thing that saved me was my Tasked jersey....they did appreciate that. Screw those guys!

While living in Chicago I grew to like them in the late 90's as a secondary team. About 10 years ago it grew to hate. Mostly due to their uneducated fans and nonsense. The last straw was when I went to see the Bills and Bears play. The Bills were losing by over 30 points at halftime and the fans still wouldn't lay off there terrible behavior. The only thing that saved me was my Tasked jersey....they did appreciate that. Screw those guys!

First off their*

Second, to be fair, our fanbase is the same way.

Been in the Chicago area for 20 years after living in Buffalo for longer than that. Tried hard to stay close to the Bills but about 5 years ago my patience with the team ran out. Watch the Bears more now. Going to the opener. Hate to say it but I'm rooting for the Bears. The Bills haven't given me much reason to stay with them.

Jethro...I totally disagree about Bears fans. They do not know much about the sport and ESPECIALLY their team. My favorite question to Bears fans would be who is on your offensive line and I never had someone answer all 5. Usually zero or one was answered correct. They are like hockey fans that scream shoot it for two minutes straight on every power play! Bears fans suck! And yes I have friends that are Bears fans and that suck at being fans too!

Left WNY in 79. Moved to Tampa. Only time I went to a Buc's game was when they played Buffalo. Then moved to Phlly (south Jersey actually) and again only Eagle's games I went to were against Buffalo. Next Richmond, VA - Big Redskin's country - lucky enough to get here right before the Bills lost to the RS's in SB XXVI. Work was awful the next week....I cannot stand the Redskins. After listening to their fans for 23 years I've had it. And now training camp is down here....ugggg.

I grew up in Buffalo, but moved to Chicago after college. Before I lived there, I was never a huge Bears fan, but kind of liked the team based on their history, blue collar image, and some great players like Dick Butkus, Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton, Mike Singletery, etc. After living there a few years, I grew to despise the Bears. Their fans are extremely arrogant and obnoxious, and their local radio broadcasters are terrible homers. I was completely done when the Bills were in town and I took a ton of abuse at Soldier Field for the entire 3 hours while the Bears stomped all over JP Losman and crew. I pretty much sat quietly and minded my own business (I certainly had nothing to cheer about), but was wearing a Bills t-shirt and hat and that was all it took. I frequently turned down free Bears tickets so I could watch the Bills on TV. One note about Chicago - it has a great ex-Buffalo community and I highly recommend watching a game with my old crew at Delilah's, if you ever get the opportunity. One more thing about Chicago - it is not as great a sports town as people think. Today, everyone is a Blackhawks fan. A few years ago, before Pat Kane and Towes arrived and turned it around, the arena was empty for Blackhawks games. I remember some lean years and smaller crowds in Buffalo too, but nothing like it was in Chicago, which has an Original Six franchise in a metropolitan area of 6 - 10 million people to draw from.

Now I live in Phoenix and am pretty apathetic to the Cardinals. I have a good buddy who is a season ticket holder, so I am happy for him when they win and the average fan here is much less obnoxious than the average Bears fan, so I am OK if they do well. I also am pretty neutral to the D-Backs and Suns. The fans here are extremely fair weather, so it is good when they suck, because you can get tickets to these games for a song, which is nice if you are a big sports fan like me. I'm also good when they do well, as it makes the city a little more fun when people get excited about sports. The one team I have kind of adopted is the Coyotes. They will always be second to the Sabres, but their core fan base is small (REALLY small) and die-hard. Coyotes fans live in fear of losing the franchise much like we feel in Buffalo with Ralph's passing. I love NHL hockey and really don't want Arizona to lose the team, so I support them. Growing up in Buffalo, I played hockey and had Sabres season tickets in the family, so it is great to still be able to enjoy the NHL. I was fortunate that one of the Sabres' few wins last year was here against the Coyotes, and one of the relatively few Bills wins in the Gailey/Fitzpatrick era was here against the Cardinals.

I try to get back to Buff for at least one Bills and one Sabres game a year. I will be at the home opener against the Fish on September 14 - I can't wait! By the way, I will be in Raleigh next weekend during the Bills-Bears opener. I'm staying in the North Hills area. Can anyone from the board recommend a good bar to watch the game? I found a few online, but would love some input.

I dropped the bills to #2 in favor of tampa last year. I also dropped the yankees to #2.

wow! Are u originally from bflo? Just curious.

Do they even have a fan base? Lol.

they took those areas that they used to tarp off in the stadium because they could never sell the seats and turned them into cabanas so you can drink and swim and watch the red zone channel on the largest monitors in the league. Oh, there's a game going on too? Whose playing?

I live in Jets/Giants country. Stores around here don't even carry Bills stuff. No matter where I live, I'll always be a Bills fan. If I moved to an NFC team's city, I'd likely follow them and go to games (if I lived close by); but I'd never be a fan of the team per se.

they took those areas that they used to tarp off in the stadium because they could never sell the seats and turned them into cabanas so you can drink and swim and watch the red zone channel on the largest monitors in the league. Oh, there's a game going on too? Whose playing?

That's great, the only way they can get people in there is to show other games.

Didn't they have a deal where 25 bucks got you a game ticket and two free beers?

Yes...just moved away

You've made two posts one of which states that the Bills aren't your favorite team, and another insulting our city. Quite trolly/

I got a hair cut today...I was starting to look a bit like a troll though

I moved to Ohio 21 years ago. I still don't care about the Browns or Bengals, despite living smack dab in the middle. I have a family member who is currently high up in the FO of another team. He has been with the FOs of 2 other NFL teams as well since 1997. Yet I still am not a "real" fan of his current team or the two that came before. Sure, I hope they do well for his livelihood. But its nothing like I feel about the team I was born to be a fan of.

Curious about the rest of you - Love, hate, or indifference toward the team you are surrounded by vs the one you were born into?

I used to actively dislike the St Louis football team. In part this was because of the snide and snarky coverage of the Bills 4 superbowls contrasted with the braggadocio about the "greatest show on turf" and how it would be unbeatable forever. Yeah, how did that work?

Now I'm just apathetic. Being honest, I must confess if they were a better team and better fans they might win me over but St Louis is just not a football town. The fans have to be coached how to behave at a football game - "be quiet when the Rams have the ball. make lots of noise when the other team has the ball!". Not kidding!

Wow, interesting topic. I live in Cleveland, and their were several years after their return that I actually cheered for them (always Bills first, I swear). But the negativity from their fans after endless high draft picks went bust and they became the keystone cops of the nfl was too much. Friends would get angry discussing the franchise, and immediately point to the proud past (40 years prior). They took to berating my Bills rather than looking at the franchise and their own disfunction (ya can't yank young qb's in week 4 and fire HC's in week 9 people, it NEVER works). I know things have been rough for the Bills but the Browns have the lowlight of the week most weeks.

Now I dispise the Browns, and especially their fans. I go to every meeting between out teams when in Buffalo, and have a standing bet that the Bill's record will be better than the Browns every year (I actually win most years).

So it's YOUR fault.

I look at more like, I'm the reason they won before 1999, not the reason they've lost since then.

So you're the reason for no playoffs...

Did you go to the Bills/Cards game a couple years ago? That was great. Bills fans everywhere.

yep, I've gone to all the Bills games here since I moved. Sabres games too. Edited by klos63