Disappointed In EJ After Thursday Night Detroit Game

PolishDave

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know why but for some reason coming into this game I was really optimistic about how EJ would look. He let me down.

The good news is that our receivers can get open. The bad news, at least tonight, was that EJ couldn’t get them a catchable ball a few times. EJ had opportunities to look really good tonight. Two plays in particular come to mind. One was a medium deep pass to Woods on a route where Woods had his receiver beat. Woods had his receiver beat enough where he could have turned up field and had a lot of room to run. That could have been a huge play. EJ flat out missed him (led him too much as Woods ran across the field toward the left sideline). We punted. Another play was a short pass to Fred Jackson where Fred would have had a first down. EJ sailed the pass. Fred jumped for it and stretched, but alas the pass was too high. We punted. I believe those were both 3rd down plays that ended EJ’s second and third series on the field. Maybe not though.

I thought EJ looked too rough for a starting quarterback. I am officially afraid of what is going to happen in the regular season.

And to top it off, he gave the shortest press conference after the game. He said that a couple of guys dropped passes. And he said that his offensive coaches told him that he played well. Then he walked away from the podium. I was like WTF dude? That is all you have to say after that? How about you man up and admit you didn’t get the balls where they needed to be to your open receivers. I thought this guy was a man’s man. After hearing that brief interview, I was thinking that this guy is fooling himself if he thinks that was a good performance. Not very mature at all. Not a sign of great character.

Scary…….I am sure glad he typically gets better as the game goes on. Because if he didn’t, the Bills would get blown out of games routinely.

First string D played reasonably well.

Overall the game sucked and was very difficult to watch.

The highlight of the night was a half-hearted attempt at the wave in the stadium during the second half. Fans did a good job considering there were so few there.

at least he is consistent B-)

I thought the pass to Fred was an easy catch but I only saw it once. No one near him. Soft ball. Hit him in the hands and he just dropped it. It was high but a very simple catch at first glance.

The one to Woods I want to see again from different angles. Looked like a bad pass from EJ. But it also looked to me like Woods could have reached up with two hands and caught it. He lazily reached up with one and it bounced off. I will wait until I get to see it a few different times. Right not I think Fred dropped the first one you mentioned and the second one could have been a better ball and could have been a better catch.

EJ was not good though. And not horrible either.

as always

Well, it wasn't as bad as a couple of qbs that were in the replacement games.

Keanu Reeves?

@john_wawrow: Interesting: #Bills Jordan Palmer rightfully says he's "got to make better decisions." EJ Manuel says: "I thought I did a pretty good job."

State it JW

With that attitude EJ will never get better.

EJ was not good though. And not horrible either.

Playing devils advocate here, is it possible that many people have expectations that are too high for EJ? If I recall, he was listed a s guy who would be a bit of a project when he was drafted, so is it a possibility? Or by asking does this make me an "apologist"?

Playing devils advocate here, is it possible that many people have expectations that are too high for EJ? If I recall, he was listed a s guy who would be a bit of a project when he was drafted, so is it a possibility? Or by asking does this make me an "apologist"?

This day and age, you don't draft a guy as being a project, 16th overall. Guys drafted in the 1st round should be able to come in and help the team immediately. "Projects" should be drafted in the middle rounds, not 1st round.

Edited by old school

This day and age, you don't draft a guy as being a project 16th overall. Guys drafted in the 1st round should be able to come in and help the team immediately. "Projects" should be drafted in the middle rounds, not 1st round.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you at all on that, and the point that we drafted him as high as we did is another discussion on it's own. But the way this board reacts is that EJ better be the next Aaron Rodgers, Manning etc, or he's the next Billy Joe Hobert. It's all feast or famine, when in reality it's still a team game. I understand the QB plays a huge role in that, but you don't really see anyone who says " EJ, not bad kid", we could stand better, but there is a lot worse". When he plays decent it's Super Bowl or bust. When he doesn't, it's 0-16 and doomed. Some people need to be able to look rationally and not accuse people of being apologists or haters. We are all Bills fans, and sometimes our QB/RB/WR/TE/DE whomever sucks, and other times they're great. When someone says something to have a discussion, it's ridiculous for people to label as an apologist or a hater. We all get frustrated but it's going to be ok.

Every year the optimism on this board before the start of the season is ridiculously high. This year it is where it should be after the putrid effort we saw this preseason. This alone makes me optimistic.

Edited by jumbalaya

This day and age, you don't draft a guy as being a project, 16th overall. Guys drafted in the 1st round should be able to come in and help the team immediately. "Projects" should be drafted in the middle rounds, not 1st round.

this day and age its abundantly clear that you draft any qb that you think has any real shot of starting, even slim, in the first 35ish picks. the midrounders are, for the most part, projects that you hope end up being serviceable backups or trade bait after flashing a little potential that they probably wont live up to.

this day and age its abundantly clear that you draft any qb that you think has any real shot of starting, even slim, in the first 35ish picks. the midrounders are, for the most part, projects that you hope end up being serviceable backups or trade bait after flashing a little potential that they probably wont live up to.

Great description of what EJ Manuel is. A middle round pick grabbed way to early by a bunch of amateurs posing as football men. if you can find it, look at Polians face when the bills picked EJ and then listen carefully to his comments.

That guy in his day could recognize a good QB prospect.

I don’t know why but for some reason coming into this game I was really optimistic about how EJ would look. He let me down.

The good news is that our receivers can get open. The bad news, at least tonight, was that EJ couldn’t get them a catchable ball a few times. EJ had opportunities to look really good tonight. Two plays in particular come to mind. One was a medium deep pass to Woods on a route where Woods had his receiver beat. Woods had his receiver beat enough where he could have turned up field and had a lot of room to run. That could have been a huge play. EJ flat out missed him (led him too much as Woods ran across the field toward the left sideline). We punted. Another play was a short pass to Fred Jackson where Fred would have had a first down. EJ sailed the pass. Fred jumped for it and stretched, but alas the pass was too high. We punted. I believe those were both 3rd down plays that ended EJ’s second and third series on the field. Maybe not though.

I thought EJ looked too rough for a starting quarterback. I am officially afraid of what is going to happen in the regular season.

And to top it off, he gave the shortest press conference after the game. He said that a couple of guys dropped passes. And he said that his offensive coaches told him that he played well. Then he walked away from the podium. I was like WTF dude? That is all you have to say after that? How about you man up and admit you didn’t get the balls where they needed to be to your open receivers. I thought this guy was a man’s man. After hearing that brief interview, I was thinking that this guy is fooling himself if he thinks that was a good performance. Not very mature at all. Not a sign of great character.

Scary…….I am sure glad he typically gets better as the game goes on. Because if he didn’t, the Bills would get blown out of games routinely.

First string D played reasonably well.

Overall the game sucked and was very difficult to watch.

The highlight of the night was a half-hearted attempt at the wave in the stadium during the second half. Fans did a good job considering there were so few there.

I think EJ is getting VERY frustrated and trying to defend every throw he makes... Normally stuff like this occurs after at least 1st quarter of season, but the fact he's been sooooo defensive and a tad arrogant with media, considering his only "accolade" is being a 1st round (reach) pick does not earn him the right to be so dismissive and act like he's a veteran and say balls were dropped, i made right read and didnt pan out... GREAT, u made right read, but who cares if u MISSED it and had a wide open Woods over middle for HUGE gain on a 3rd down nonetheless.

This is a game of execution... top QB's, even middle tier qb's dont miss very many shots like that, then have nerve to say, well.... i made right read and ball was dropped.... i think Woods has a chance at ball, but like OP said, he blew by denfender (not receiver!) and was pretty wide open for big gain on a crucial play, 3rd down which is an area we have struggled for so long.

EJ has to have a bit more humility with the media and realize he's a 2nd yr qb coming off a VERY uneven rookie yr and has shown little to no progress and EVERY fan and columnist has the right to be very skeptical of his play, even it is pre-season.

From his pressers, he seems to be growing more and more "annoyed" at questions and needs to start saying the bland, necessary stuff QB's say.... Say the obvious, dont throw ANYONE under the bus and understand YOU are the QB, u will get the praise if the team wins but u will get the brunt of it when we lose especially after such lackluster performances this pre-season.

What's next? blaming Sammy for injuring ribs?? Well.... i dont have my 1st round toy the team gave me....

I think EJ is getting VERY frustrated and trying to defend every throw he makes... Normally stuff like this occurs after at least 1st quarter of season, but the fact he's been sooooo defensive and a tad arrogant with media, considering his only "accolade" is being a 1st round (reach) pick does not earn him the right to be so dismissive and act like he's a veteran and say balls were dropped, i made right read and didnt pan out... GREAT, u made right read, but who cares if u MISSED it and had a wide open Woods over middle for HUGE gain on a 3rd down nonetheless.

This is a game of execution... top QB's, even middle tier qb's dont miss very many shots like that, then have nerve to say, well.... i made right read and ball was dropped.... i think Woods has a chance at ball, but like OP said, he blew by denfender (not receiver!) and was pretty wide open for big gain on a crucial play, 3rd down which is an area we have struggled for so long.

EJ has to have a bit more humility with the media and realize he's a 2nd yr qb coming off a VERY uneven rookie yr and has shown little to no progress and EVERY fan and columnist has the right to be very skeptical of his play, even it is pre-season.

From his pressers, he seems to be growing more and more "annoyed" at questions and needs to start saying the bland, necessary stuff QB's say.... Say the obvious, dont throw ANYONE under the bus and understand YOU are the QB, u will get the praise if the team wins but u will get the brunt of it when we lose especially after such lackluster performances this pre-season.

What's next? blaming Sammy for injuring ribs?? Well.... i dont have my 1st round toy the team gave me....

Do you have examples of him being "annoyed" defensive and arrogant? those are things I haven't seen out of any of his PC's.