Comparing EJs 1st 10 Games to Kelly's

Dean Cain

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But was his 3rd preseason game better than EJ's? That's all that's matter. :)

And I love how people try to twist things. It's a good reminder that Qbs take time to develop. Kelly threw more ints than tds his 3rd season and the Bills went 12-4. But I'm sure all the hindsight people knew Kelly was going to be a Hall of Famer back then.

But was his 3rd preseason game better than EJ's? That's all that's matter. :)

And I love how people try to twist things. It's a good reminder that Qbs take time to develop. Kelly threw more ints than tds his 3rd season and the Bills went 12-4. But I'm sure all the hindsight people knew Kelly was going to be a Hall of Famer back then.

Everyone on TBD back then knew we was going to be. ;)

Kelly didn't look like Elway or Marino in 1986 and internet or no internet took a fair amount of crap in in the press and from fans.

Jim Kelly seemed a lot more durable than EJ does. And while memory certainly isn't perfect, I don't remember Jim Kelly ever look like he was panicking. It seemed like his problems came from trying to do too much, while EJ's problems seem to stem from not being willing to try pushing the ball up field.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

I think this is an interesting and somewhat relevant comparison - especially considering Kelly's greater experience. The fact is that none of us know how EJs career will pan out. As an optimist, I'm hoping for the best. He has lots of great qualities for a successful QB.

Sometimes, I think people forget that performing as an NFL QB is the most difficult job in all of sports. At this stage, he is still a very young prospect who is learning how to play the position. Patience is what is needed........

I think this is an interesting and somewhat relevant comparison - especially considering Kelly's greater experience. The fact is that none of us know how EJs career will pan out. As an optimist, I'm hoping for the best. He has lots of great qualities for a successful QB.

Sometimes, I think people forget that performing as an NFL QB is the most difficult job in all of sports. At this stage, he is still a very young prospect who is learning how to play the position. Patience is what is needed........

Well said.

Don't see the comparison one bit.

EJ is bigger, stronger, a better runner, a better arm, and has trouble making quick decisions and getting the ball out accurately.

Trent's entire repertoire of top level skills was his ability to read defenses pre-snap, drop back, make quick decisions and throw good hard accurate short passes. He struggled with everything else.

I've been thru this before but the manner in which they don't get the job done matters less than that they ultimately fail in the same ways.

Bottom line: They are both risk averse passers with anemic ypa who are inclined to check down and struggle to get the ball over the top of a defense.

Ultimately, EJ has to prove he can get the ball over the top more than anything and the same was true of Trent.

EJ has much better natural arm strength but he's still a tentative passer who doesn't really step into and drill his throws.

I don't disagree that Trent was more accurate in the short game but EJ is still completing the same passes, he's just not locating them advantageously for the receiver to maximize the play.

Case in point with regard to his tentativeness.......the TD pass he finally threw to Mike Williams against Tampa's practice squad. That ball has to be thrown with authority.

He aimed it and it arched it's way to MW, barely got there, and was nearly pic-sixed for 100 yards. Tampa DB #1 takes that the distance and then there really would have been some booing.

And with all due respect, Trent had a worse offensive line and was a starter at a time when you could still hit a QB.

I hate this. Ugh. Rookie QB stats mean very little. Lately I have been tossing around Eli's putrid numbers. Here are the top 20 Rookie QB ratings in the last 20 years, and lets see how much it really means.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/top-20-rookie-passing-seasons-of-last-20-years.aspx

HOF

Peyton Manning, and he is at 18

Upper Echelon, Could be HOF worthy some day

Luck- Seems to be the heir apparent to the throne when Brady, Manning, and Rodgers hang it up. Those guys are in a different league.

Russel Wilson- Not necessarily based on his current skill level, but jeez that team keeps winning. He could float down as well.

Above Average

Flacco- He played lights out in the playoffs and SB. Another SB win would put him in the next group, but he hasn't been good enough regularly to be in the conversation

Newton- Numbers are nuts, but he is a little up and down.

RG3- People are getting anxious in Washington. I know injuries but still...

Matt Ryan- This changes if he can ever win in the playoffs or even go to the SB. He can be lights out, but we saw last year that he cannot yet carry his team so no HoF

Carson Palmer- Pre ACL was playing lights out

Average

Carson Palmer- post ACL

Dalton

Garcia

Bradford- Can't stay on the field, bad team

Tannehil- Still early

Irrelevant

Mirer

Banks

Couch

Weeden

Leftwhich

Flutie

Leinart

Batch

I've been thru this before but the manner in which they don't get the job done matters less than that they ultimately fail in the same ways.

Bottom line: They are both risk averse passers with anemic ypa who are inclined to check down and struggle to get the ball over the top of a defense.

Ultimately, EJ has to prove he can get the ball over the top more than anything and the same was true of Trent.

EJ has much better natural arm strength but he's still a tentative passer who doesn't really step into and drill his throws.

I don't disagree that Trent was more accurate in the short game but EJ is still completing the same passes, he's just not locating them advantageously for the receiver to maximize the play.

Case in point with regard to his tentativeness.......the TD pass he finally threw to Mike Williams against Tampa's practice squad. That ball has to be thrown with authority.

He aimed it and it arched it's way to MW, barely got there, and was nearly pic-sixed for 100 yards. Tampa DB #1 takes that the distance and then there really would have been some booing.

And with all due respect, Trent had a worse offensive line and was a starter at a time when you could still hit a QB.

Whaaaaa...

This seems like a drastic exaggeration every step of the way. One EJ stood in the pocket took the hit and delivered the throw. Agreed, not on a total rope. Practice squad? Well that's the first time that is reported. Pick-6- Just wow. The ball got to exactly where it needed to be in a pretty tight window. Does somebody else make a play, maybe, maybe not, is it a pick-6? Almost definitely not.

Whaaaaa...

This seems like a drastic exaggeration every step of the way. One EJ stood in the pocket took the hit and delivered the throw. Agreed, not on a total rope. Practice squad? Well that's the first time that is reported. Pick-6- Just wow. The ball got to exactly where it needed to be in a pretty tight window. Does somebody else make a play, maybe, maybe not, is it a pick-6? Almost definitely not.

Why listen to or try to reason with anti-EJ crusader? It's a futile cause. That ball was thrown very well into a tight window with good zip and accuracy.

You can say it was a different era, but was the field still 100 yards long? Was Kelly's line and coaching staff better? Was Kelly actually older and more experienced?

The comparisons are still legit, and then some.

My eye test is sceptical too, but we need to get off EJ's back and give him this year (and get a legit backup).

I love Jimbo as much as the next guy, but the meeting with Bon Jovi, and now calling out EJ? C'mon.

Why listen to or try to reason with anti-EJ crusader? It's a futile cause. That ball was thrown very well into a tight window with good zip and accuracy.

Honestly, we all should do this. We all try to reason with each other but it's pretty pointless. People who think EJ sucks aren't going to change their position. Whenever someone says that it takes Qbs time to develop and we should give up on EJ yet, they will counter and say you're a homer. So why even try anymore?

I realize it's been close to three decades but Buffalo HATED Kelly when he first came there with his third person statements and rash of game losing pics he threw in '86. He was booed off the field in '86. His own linemen were reticent of protecting him when the Jet was "Down, giving him the business". He didn't become a beloved leader until '90. EJ is a kid who hasn't even played a full season. The game clearly hasn't slowwed down for him yet. JUST LIKE Kelly in '86. Chill out. The sky is not falling. Let's see what the regular season holds before we run him out of town.

BTW, why did we lose our first AFC Championship with Kelly.....Oh yeah, a pick 6 deep in his end......Just sayin'

If I may, the one big difference is Jim played in a league that was a good transition type from college to nfl. Furthermore, Jim demanded perfection from his teammates. No one got off the hook and Jim was an in your face type. Manuel seems to have the head and the drive but doesn't have that edge to him. Seems like more of the other players have that element and it might not be the best route,

I always wanted my QB to be the one to set the tone