How Can Anyone Turn This Team Around?

This team has needed a real franchise QB ever since Jim Kelly retired. That's the only way to reverse the fortunes is to have one of those. Just look at every team that has been good, it has been the QB position that was not shaky. When Fitz was here, the team won when he looked great. Arizona is a prime example, loaded with talent, but can't really compete since Kurt Warner left. all the HCs, OC's and DC's in the world can't compensate for poor QB play. The team is not cursed, nor is it due to it's small market digs, those are media excuses, plain and simple.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So? Cowher made the playoffs his first six seasons as HC. It's not like they kept trusting him in the face of terrible results.

You don't play the game to "make the playoffs," do you. Cowher had the luxury of time and knowing that a bad decision here or there or a down season wasn't going to cost him his job. He had the Steeler "tradition" enclosing him, along with stable ownership and stable management. And because he did, the fans weren't going insane everytime Cowher's team stunk up a preseason game.

Contrast that with the Bills fans, too many of whom are in full "cut and fire" mode at the start of Whaley's second year in command. And add in Marrone and EJ and Woods and Goodwin who are also just starting their second seasons. Do the critics not see what I see, which is an organization that for the first time in over a decade appears to have a workable, intelligent plan, apparently modeled on the Steelers, and one which has already made this a better team?

It's the first time in years and years that I actually feel positive about the Bills going forward, where I can see what they're trying to do actually taking shape instead of being some slapped-together, patchwork job. What would derail this is panic because the team isn't already Super Bowl-ready. Give Whaley, Marrone and, yes, EJ some of that patience Cowher got. And, no, this isn't meant to excuse EJ's play or Hackett's calls or Marrone's dourness or anything else. It is meant to put the overall situation in perspective.

There is a culture change going on at One Bills Drive. Let's relax just a tad and let it take root. I think we'll be well-rewarded for our patience.

...who was allowed FOURTEEN YEARS as HC before winning a Super Bowl. So, um, maybe "patience" and a long-term commitment to a program would do it?

Know the facts.... Cowher had a .597 career winning percentage and led the Steelers to the playoffs in his first 6 years as a HC.... Sure, probably inherited talent.... We are talking about turning around a program....

9 of his 14 years his team was in the playoffs....

This organization has never won a Super Bowl...

Cower was terrible in game HC

Bills blew it by not signing Lovie

Just terrible... See above...

Failed was the best.... Jauron was a close second

You don't play the game to "make the playoffs," do you. Cowher had the luxury of time and knowing that a bad decision here or there or a down season wasn't going to cost him his job. He had the Steeler "tradition" enclosing him, along with stable ownership and stable management. And because he did, the fans weren't going insane everytime Cowher's team stunk up a preseason game.

Contrast that with the Bills fans, too many of whom are in full "cut and fire" mode at the start of Whaley's second year in command. And add in Marrone and EJ and Woods and Goodwin who are also just starting their second seasons. Do the critics not see what I see, which is an organization that for the first time in over a decade appears to have a workable, intelligent plan, apparently modeled on the Steelers, and one which has already made this a better team?

It's the first time in years and years that I actually feel positive about the Bills going forward, where I can see what they're trying to do actually taking shape instead of being some slapped-together, patchwork job. What would derail this is panic because the team isn't already Super Bowl-ready. Give Whaley, Marrone and, yes, EJ some of that patience Cowher got. And, no, this isn't meant to excuse EJ's play or Hackett's calls or Marrone's dourness or anything else. It is meant to put the overall situation in perspective.

There is a culture change going on at One Bills Drive. Let's relax just a tad and let it take root. I think we'll be well-rewarded for our patience.

Huh? He had success right away, so nobody questioned him when things went south. And anyway, he made the super bowl and 2 title games over this period, so he didn't "just" make the playoffs either.

Cowher....

Not just Cowher

Marty S badly wanted the job in 2010, and RW said no.

Lovie Smith wanted the job in 2013, and Russ said no.

The Browns almost traded the 49ers for Harbough, and the Niners almost went with it. Their GM doesn't get along with Harbough, and he could be gone after this year.

Hiring a guy for HC who was fired at his job by another NFL team after being an OC wasn't a good idea. Hiring a college coach after a mediocre 8-8 record doesn't appear to be a good idea.

Nick Saban might be another one now

There are a bunch of NFL coordinators looking to make an upward move, at least 5.

So? Cowher made the playoffs his first six seasons as HC. It's not like they kept trusting him in the face of terrible results.

Cowher managed to make the playoffs with some total scrubs at QB. Cowher is amazing!

Was it his fault that the FO didn't know who to draft all those year until they finally found big ben?

I'm sure a competent HC could do it. I'm still holding hope out that Marrone is one, but he has my patience for exactly one more season and that's it. When is the last time we had a REAL HC in town, not someone best suited to be a coordinator? I'm going to say Marv.

they are all competent. the only thing that saves this or any organization is a quarterback.