How Can Anyone Turn This Team Around?

You don't play the game to "make the playoffs," do you. Cowher had the luxury of time and knowing that a bad decision here or there or a down season wasn't going to cost him his job. He had the Steeler "tradition" enclosing him, along with stable ownership and stable management. And because he did, the fans weren't going insane everytime Cowher's team stunk up a preseason game.

Contrast that with the Bills fans, too many of whom are in full "cut and fire" mode at the start of Whaley's second year in command. And add in Marrone and EJ and Woods and Goodwin who are also just starting their second seasons. Do the critics not see what I see, which is an organization that for the first time in over a decade appears to have a workable, intelligent plan, apparently modeled on the Steelers, and one which has already made this a better team?

It's the first time in years and years that I actually feel positive about the Bills going forward, where I can see what they're trying to do actually taking shape instead of being some slapped-together, patchwork job. What would derail this is panic because the team isn't already Super Bowl-ready. Give Whaley, Marrone and, yes, EJ some of that patience Cowher got. And, no, this isn't meant to excuse EJ's play or Hackett's calls or Marrone's dourness or anything else. It is meant to put the overall situation in perspective.

There is a culture change going on at One Bills Drive. Let's relax just a tad and let it take root. I think we'll be well-rewarded for our patience.

Probably the most reasonable and intelligent post I've ever read on here....especially amid all of the hysteria, overreactions, and jumping to conclusions on this board. What the Bills are building is stability. They are indeed going in the right direction. Reminds me of My Cousin Vinny:

Vinny Gambini: I object to this witness being called at this time. We've been given no prior notice he'd testify. No discovery of any tests he's conducted or reports he's prepared. And as the court is aware, the defense is entitled to advance notice of any witness who will testify, particularly to those who will give scientific evidence, so that we can properly prepare for cross-examination, as well as to give the defense an opportunity to have the witness's reports reviewed by a defense expert, who might then be in a position to contradict the veracity of his conclusions.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Your Honor.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: [firm tone] Overruled.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where is the run on bad seasons? I wish I needed this kind of "patience"

PIT 1992 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Buffalo Bills in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1993 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Wild-Card Game.

PIT 1994 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX.

PIT 1996 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 1997 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central – – – –

PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central – – – –

PIT 2000 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC Central – – – –

PIT 2001 13 3 0 .812 1st in AFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2002 10 5 1 .656 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Tennessee Titans in AFC Divisional Game.

PIT 2003 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC North – – – –

PIT 2004 15 1 0 .938 1st in AFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game.

PIT 2005 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC North 4 0 1.000 Super Bowl XL Champions.

PIT 2006 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North – – –